Installing Fractal Terrains 3 on a Mac using Crossover

Hi Everyone! I'm new to the boards and the software and could use some help. I use a Mac and the Crossover to use CC3+ on my computer. I was able to install CC3+ and the demo of Fractal Terrains 3 on my computer without any problem. When I tried to install the Fractal Terrains 3, it seemed to install alright, but when I try to open it, it appears for a few seconds in my dock and then just disappears. I attempted to install it using various "bottles" choosing the various operating systems, but without any success.

The demo version works wonderfully. Any suggestions about what I could do to make this work?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hello Siaehayden :)

I have never used a Mac, and don't really know anything about what might be wrong, but when installing on Windows we usually turn off the antivirus software for a moment and right click the installer to install as Administrator.

Obviously I have no idea how this would translate to Mac installation, but I thought it might help if you knew how Windows users achieve a successful installation :)
  • Thanks, Loopysue! I did try that as well, but still no luck. Ralf also sent me an alternate file to try to install, but that would crash during installation.
  • suntzusuntzu Betatester Traveler
    i have tried various installs on crossover and i can confirm that i can only get version 3.0.12 to run , version 3.0.20 including upgrades install fine but refuse to run , i have sent a message to Ralf via the beta test forums

Rob
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    You may need to install the Visual Studio 2015 redistributables from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145 to get it to work properly on non-Windows installs.
  • Hooray! Thanks, jslayton. Installing that file solved the problem. It was very easy with crossover, as it was something that I could choose to install directly from program itself. Once I installed it on the bottle with my FT3, it was able to run right away. You made my day!
    thanks jslayton , fixed my install , it maybe that the crossover package was pointing to the wrong c+ file

Rob
  • 3 months later
  • I'm still having trouble with this. Can't get FT to install in a CC3 bottle or in a FT bottle. My problem is the same as siaehayden and suntzu. Tried downloading the files suggested by jslayton in my FT bottle, but those files wouldn't install. Curious as to how many people have been able to install FT on Crossover and/or if anyone has other ideas about how to install it.

I can install FT, it just doesn't appear to run when I start the program.
    Ft 3.0.20 is compiled with visual studio 2015 update 3. Ft 3.0.12 was compiled with visual studio 2013. If the vs2015 runtime suggested above won't install, then it may be an issue with your virtual machine image.
  • Thanks, jslayton. The solution might be reinstalling everything from the beginning?
    I have no experience with crossover, but a reinstall might work.
    ok , firstly what version of crossover are you using ? , the latest is 16 (16.0.0.30178) and adds support for 64bit applications

second what "bottle" are you trying to install in ? i would recommend a windows 7 32 bit as others are a little flaky, the latest setup from the downloads is 3.0.20 and installs fine , it adds in the relevant runtime c++ library which is 2015 (14)
    one thing , when the setup window finishes and asks if you want to run it now , uncheck the box to say no and let crossover finish its work and click the crossover done button

FT3 can live in its own bottle or within the cc3 bottle
    hope this helps

Rob
  • Thanks, Rob. I had installed it in a Windows 8 Bottle. I just tried a Windows 7 32-bit, but no dice. I'll start the program, the menu bar will flash "Fractal Terrains" but it never gets any farther. Just stops, no error message. I do always let Crossover work its magic before running the Profantasy application, but it doesn't seem to work for me in this case.

I'm using a previous version of Crossover (14).

My Fractal Terrains and Fractal Terrains Pro apps will install and run, but not Fractal Terrains 3. This is the same issue I was having last summer when we were testing it and I couldn't run it... I'm just getting around to trying to fix it now.
    Drammattex , when you hover over the "i" in the programs list in crossover what items have been installed ?

Rob
  • Crossover HTML engine
    Microsoft Rich Edit 2.0
    Microsoft Rich Edit 4.1
    msls31
    Uniscribe
    Wine Gecko (32-bit)

This because I installed it in its own bottle for this test. CC3+ (Windows 8) has many modules as well as Microsoft Visual C++2013 (and 2015). I installed FT in that bottle earlier but same problem.
    edited January 2017
    this is mine but i upgraded it from an earlier version
    the Wine Gecko (32-bit) is there below the picture

Rob