Doors not correctly cutting

So, I am fairly new to using this program (even though I bought "The Whole Shebang" a few years ago). I just started using the smart objects and came across the doors that automatically cut the walls. I am in the process of creating a few battle maps and came across an issue with the doors.

I am creating a wizard tower. I created a circular "room". Moved the door toward the wall and this happened (all good)
1.jpg 142.9K

Comments

• Clicked the mouse to place the object and this happened
    2.jpg 83.1K
  • And for completeness to show when it works and when it doesn't, I moved the mouse around the edge and randomly clicked

Any ideas?
    3.jpg 235.6K
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hi tensitY

Could the symbol be aligning itself with and then cutting your grid or snap points?

What happens if you hide the grid sheet so that the symbol can't see it, and turn off the snap mode?
  • edited September 2016
    It sure was! I turned cursor snap off, and I assumed that I turned snaps off altogether. Thank you much for helping with my noob mistake :)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    You're welcome :)

I don't know what you do if you have no choice but to work with the grid or snap turned on. Maybe there's a setting or something that prevents it from happening even if they are visible or active, but I don't really know that much just yet.

I've had DD3 for a while now, but I've mostly been working on a big old city map, and not had to use it too much just yet ;)
  • Actually, perhaps I can help a bit with that.

First off, you should know that with the cutting doors, I have only been able to cut the walls when the door is in the exact middle of the wall, which is hard to do on a curve. It can be done, though. If you turn off the snap at the bottom f your view screen, AND in check the smart tracking in the symbol properties of the door, you have a better chance of moving it to where you want to cut.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited September 2016
    In my experience, I have few, if any, problems with wall-cutting symbols and circular walls if I just make sure of the following:
    • The grid overlay is on the HEX/SQUARE GRID layer (layer, not sheet)
    • The grid overlay is "unlocked" (Tools>Groups>Unlock Groups menu option),
    • The HEX/SQUARE GRID layer is frozen; and
    • The Snap button is turned off while placing the symbols
  • I have had to make sure that the walls are on the walls layer. I had this no cutting problem last year and that fixed it. I was editing old CC2 maps I was converting to CC3, and it happened on a few of my new CC3 maps to.