Small bug with metric template (SS4)

Hello,

I think I've encountered a small bug with the metric version of SS4 (dungeon of Schley). I just draw some vegetation, and when I activated the effects, the trees started to cast a huge shadow. After looking at the effects, I could see that the shadow was 10 map units (ie 10 meters) long. Then I looked at the non SI template, and discovered that there, the shadow was still 10 map units (but there, it means 10 feet, which is more reasonable).

Is there any way to export effects in a textual format, so that I could compare those and check if other corrections should be done?

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited September 2016
    I'm not saying the setting is right, but in fairness, quick math while I'm waiting in line to return some socks tells me that when the sun is 45° overhead, a tree with a height of 10 m would likewise cast a shadow of 10 m. Could someone check that math for me, please?
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    You are right, the Length property for the Wall Shadow effect was not adjusted for the metric template. It should be "3". You can see that the Blur Radius value WAS adjusted (from 3 to 1).

There is no way to do a textual export of the effect settings. You'll have to open two instances of CC3+, with one type of map in each and compare them sheet by sheet. Though I would probably not bother with that and just see whether anything on the final map looks out of place.
  • Dogtag: Your maths are correct, but with such a low angle, I believe the tree shadow would represent the shape of the tree, with a sharp trunk part and a more fuzzy leaves part. Anyway, I made a small experiment. I draw the same (simplistic) scene twice with SS4, once with the metric template, once with the non metric templates (but the dimensions of all objects were the same in real world units, the two images should have been identical). I think the result makes the issue clear (and also show the draw tools need to be adjusted too).

Ralf: Currently, it's possible to enter effect dimensions in map % or in map unit, which is really fine for overland maps, but I think that for dungeon maps, it would be quite interesting to enter some effect parameters in real world units too, which would make adapting to metric system a no-op.