scale for Annual Downports in CC3 ?

I was working on a downport/city for my FutureMars site. I checked the building sizes and got some odd results. The hospital on this map is shown by the distance menu item as being about the size of an apartment, but the symbol is of a large building.

I can just state on my site that the squares, which show as 20 feet on distance, are larger. I was thinking about 200 feet instead of 20 feet per square.

The template is 1000' x 800'. Done in CC3. I reduced the png by 50%. Otherwise no changes to it.

Did I mess something up ? Or is the scale on the symbols off ? Or something else ?

Thanks !

Comments

• In the pdf it suggests 3000x2400, but I want to use the 1000' x 800' templates.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited September 2016
    When I create a map in CC3 using CA99 SciFi Downports, my new map dimensions actually defaulted to 1000x800 for some reason. As you mentioned, the PDF suggested 3000x2400, which is 3 times larger.

When I placed a hospital at the default size, it was 280 ft wide (not including the part of road that extends a little past the building). I right-clicked while placing the hospital symbol and checked the symbol parameters. It was scaled a value of 3.00000, which jibes with the map scale. That is, my map is 1000x800, which is 1/3 the size of the recommended scale. So, it makes sense that CC3 would scale the symbol up by a matching factor of 3.

When scaling the symbol down to a factor of 1, it measures 100 ft. But I am using 20' grid snaps to measure, so it is probable that the actual symbols are really scaled as expected, in relation to each other (as opposed to, in relation to the grid).

Either way, my hospital is far from the size of an apartment. Or, it is the size of an apartment... that I want to live in.

Sorry, I can't offer an explanation.

~Dogtag
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited September 2016
    I've been thinking about this... making the symbol scale at 3.0 for the 1000' x 800' template would have it at more life-size. That may need tweeking a bit, so I'll make adjustments and see what I can come up with.

I wanted to make some small towns for my PastFutureMars site. I can deal with it. This site is where my SPACE: 1889 ! and Future Mars info and maps are moved to, you may recognize it as my old cwahi.net site about Mars. cwahi.net is gone. So I moved the site. Not much there yet.
    edited September 2016
    This what I decided on. 400 foot squares labelled, actually 40 foot, so the scale will be better. Added stuff to.
  • 10 months later
  • url change for my Future Mars sub-domain only 2 overall maps there now. I had it under my Traveller site and the urls were getting longer and longer. The old site is still up, for now.
  • All set up on the new site. Now I just need to add to it, but my relatives tell me I sit at my computer too much. So later.
    edited July 2017
    I moved my new Mars to a more appropriate set of discussions. I was having problems with the previous method/map.