Fir Shadow Village

Fir Shadow is a small village tucked in the Pilgrim's Forest off the Pilgrim's Path, a well traveled road through dense forest leading from the east of Vane towards Amarfelle, where many make the Pilgrimage. (my players are still currently in the southern region of the island of Forynth and nowhere near Amarfelle - their main base - but i figured i'd have a village at the ready for when they return from their current quest)

Comments

• Nice little village you have here!!!
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Nice. I like the ivy. Nice touch, that.
  • Nicely done, Lorelei! I really love the detail! How did you get that beautiful border on your work?
  • It's a bitmap fill that she's using...one of the Dundjinni fills, unless I'm mistaken. And Lorelei is FABULOUS when it comes.es to making borders!!! :-D
  • edited September 2016
    Posted By: Nacon4Nicely done, Lorelei! I really love the detail! How did you get that beautiful border on your work?
    Thank you! It took a lot of trial and error adjustments with the Bevel to get the frame just right. And yes, it is a bitmap fill. I don't believe it is a Dunjinni fill....its a wood fill i got from my Textures membership. Anyway, I don't think if i gave you the settings i used on the bevel it would ONLY work for a map of THIS size. So, here is a copy of the .fcw of just the frame, just change the red x's fill that you will see to any style you like, but a real wood imported works best. Enjoy.
  • Thank you, Lorelei! So, is most the stuff you're planning in your village going to be happening underground, in varied levels above ground, or at night? I see only 12 or 13 entities on the map. Just wondering.
  • edited September 2016
    oh i just sent the frame...not the village :) You can add your own background behind it
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Another beauty from Lorelei :)
  • This looks great Lorelei. I'm sure your players will appreciate it.
  • Thanks guys. Really, no need to comment though as I'm sure you're all tired of my abnormally fast map generation :) - I'm just putting up some maps so some of the newbies can see just what they can do with this program even if you have virtually no tech knowledge or skill, such as I. I know from my first maps i thought i'd NEVER be able to use this program and produce maps like some of the masters like Ralf, Remy, Joachim, Dogtag, Shessar and the others... When i look back at my first maps i cringe - then smile as i see just how much i've progressed.
    Phew... I ran out of new ways of saying brilliant about ten maps ago - limited vocab you see!
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    edited September 2016
    Posted By: LoreleiThanks guys. Really, no need to comment though as I'm sure you're all tired of my abnormally fast map generation :)
    What? Gee golly whillikers ... you do know you're talking to a bunch of cartographic freaks, don't you. No one's tired of your speed, just jealous!
    I'm just putting up some maps so some of the newbies can see just what they can do with this program even if you have virtually no tech knowledge or skill, such as I. I know from my first maps i thought i'd NEVER be able to use this program and produce maps like some of the masters like Ralf, Remy, Joachim, Dogtag, Shessar and the others...
    Oh well ... I think you've caught up with everyone and perhaps bypassed some.
    Posted By: VintyriOh well ... I think you've caught up with everyone and perhaps bypassed some.
    Verily, in my case, at least.
  • edited September 2016
    Well thanks, guys *blushes*. But seriously it's just this incredible program...well and i guess you need a bit of imagination and some creativity. But ProFantasy gets most of the credit. THIS was my first battlemap a little more than a YEAR ago. And, as I've said over and over, i've no tech skill. Just creativity and a lot of time :)
  • Posted By: LoreleiWell thanks, guys *blushes*. But seriously it's just this incredible program...well and i guess you need a bit of imagination and some creativity. But ProFantasy gets most of the credit. THIS was my first battlemap a little more than a YEAR ago. And, as I've said over and over, i've no tech skill. Just creativity anda lotof time :)
    Now I've got a general question. I've heard the term 'battlemap' used before; and forgive my padawan ignorance; but do you make a map for just one encounter?

Just curious.

LLAP

Nacon4
  • Well, i can only speak for myself, but generally I make most maps for a specific encounter i have in mind that I put together for my campaign (when and if they actually get there is another story - i have SEVERAL printed out maps on 8.5x11 paper to lay out AND some in actual poster sizes that have NOT been used to date) - That being said - i do try to make them as generic as possible (although i will usually throw in a hint as to the current campaign like a banner with the Cults emblem in a room, etc on occasion) this way they can be used in the future for other story arcs within my homebrew world, or new games altogether :)
  • I make dungeon and town maps. Some of the dungeons, like Dwarf Home, have over a thousand rooms on multi-levels.
  • Posted By: JimPI make dungeon and town maps. Some of the dungeons, like Dwarf Home, have over a thousand rooms on multi-levels.
    But you linked those maps together, yes? It's not all just one map.

LLAP

Nacon4
  • It depends. The ones in Dwarf Home were 240' x 180' each map. Nine maps on first level, sort of escalating as you go down. I was dissatisfied with the smallness and the replacements I'm working on will be larger. But since I want visitors to my site to be able to read them, I'm not sure how large I'll be making the final ones just yet.

distances and depths. also shows sizes of each level.

These are drawings of the basic layout of Dwarf Home. Levels below 3 are not complete. Nothing on the site below level 6, except for this orthogonal drawing.

Ortho side view

Ortho top view

Orthogonal end view
    edited September 2016
    A battle map is, yes, a map designed for a given encounter, or for a series of encounters that will take place in a given location. They are typically small scale maps designed for combat, where grid squares (or hexes) are generally 5' (1.5 m) to every printed inch on the map, or similarly small, to facilitate movement rate calculations.

Battle maps tend to show details of terrain and layout that will affect combat and they often, but don't necessarily, include a lot of other information, such as furniture, decor, items lying around, and other details that lend atmosphere to the area.

They were originally created for miniatures but, with the growing popularity of virtual table top software (VTTs) and other online tools, they are increasingly being made with those in mind.
  • Posted By: DogtagA battle map is, yes, a map designed for a given encounter, or for a series of encounters that will take place in a given location. They are typically small scale maps designed for combat, where grid squares (or hexes) aregenerally5' (1.5 m) or similarly small to facilitate movement rate calculations.

Battle maps tend to show details of terrain and layout that will affect combat and they often, but don't necessarily, include a lot of other information, such as furniture, decor, items lying around, and other details that lends atmosphere to the area.

They were originally created for miniatures but, with the growing popularity of virtual table top software (VTTs) and other online tools, they are increasingly being made with those in mind.
    Thank you, Dogtag!

LLAP

Nacon4
    Posted By: VintyriNo one's tired of your speed, just jealous!
    Lorelei - you are one of the many cartographers I admire :)