Using background images and New Layers/Styles/Contours in CC

Hello all,

I'm currently using Campain Cartographer to recreate a world map originally created in Photoshop.

I would like to use the bitmap version as a background to trace over, to make it as accurate as possible to the original.

I've followed the instructions in the help file about adding a background image (Draw > Insert File, etc...) and am able to get it in there just fine. However, it seems that once I draw a land-mass and refresh the map, what I just drew disappears. Basically, it seems like CC doesn't like me attempting to draw over the background image.

Also...

My map has continents/islands/regions that reside in different climates (arctic, temperate, etc). So, I would like to be able to have a separate layer for each appropriate region, with its own dedicated Sheet. This way I can make sure all arctic regions are using the same filler bitmap as well as Sheet effects.

Basically, an arctic region should have a snowy looking background with certain border effects, which would be different from the filler bitmap and border effects for a temperate zone, etc.

I've attempted to accomplish this myself by creating a new layer and creating a landmass on it. I can switch to the desired layer just fine, but as soon as I start to draw a landmass on it, the layer automatically switches back to COAST/SEA.

Now from what I've seen, what I'm trying to achieve can be done.. both the background image and the separate layers/sheets for different areas... I just can't seem to get CC to cooperate with me in accomplishing either.

Can someone help me out with this?

Thanks a bunch :)

Comments

• The first problem sounds like it might be due to the order of sheets, but I'm not familiar with importing so I won't be much help there.

The second one I'd assume you're using the land tool from the far left vertical toolbar- these tools automatically set the sheet they're drawing on regardless of what you choose. You'll either need to make your own tools (right click the tool and choose Advanced from the tool menu, then make a new tool based on an existing one, customize it (including sheet and layer), and save it for later use), or draw everything and then alter the properties with the Change Properties tool. Or use the polygon tool, but that's even more labor intensive.
  • Posted By: Stormcaller3801The first problem sounds like it might be due to the order of sheets, but I'm not familiar with importing so I won't be much help there.
    Hmm... That's something to look into. I'll see if the layer order has anything to do with it, perhaps.
    Posted By: Stormcaller3801The second one I'd assume you're using the land tool from the far left vertical toolbar- these tools automatically set the sheet they're drawing on regardless of what you choose. You'll either need to make your own tools (right click the tool and choose Advanced from the tool menu, then make a new tool based on an existing one, customize it (including sheet and layer), and save it for later use), or draw everything and then alter the properties with the Change Properties tool. Or use the polygon tool, but that's even more labor intensive.
    Ahh.. So that's how you'd do it. Okay I hadn't gotten in so far as creating custom tools.. I'll look into that and see what I can come up with :)

Thanks!