Importing bitmap fills - Create other resolution - Red X nightmare

So....I have NO idea how or why i had the "create other resolutions" box checked while importing bitmap fills on the map i was working on last night. NOW it makes sense that it seemed to take extra long to import the fills....now i know why. Apparently when that box is checked it creates various resolutions of the fills in the folder you are importing from - great you think. NO. While creating L, H and VH res fills is nice, it RENAMES the original file, therefore giving me the infamous RED X's in almost all my maps that i now open because all my bitmap files in my folder on my desktop have been renamed by CC3!!!! What a nightmare. I have to go in and RENAME everything again.

So...word to the wise....do not have the Create Other Resolutions box checked if you have used ANY of the files in that particular folder in any other map, or you'll have red x's everywhere, too! I think....i you then check the Copy Folder to: box perhaps it creates a new folder??? I don't know, but damn this is going to take forever to fix as there were soooooo many fills saved in that folder! Lesson learned.

Comments

• GatharGathar Traveler
    You know there are tools to rename many files simultaneously, if there is an easy pattern to follow?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited August 2016
    I recommend ALWAYS having this box checked, this way you create the other resolutions the first time you use the textures, so all maps use appropriate textures (redraw times are faster when you use proper muli-resolution textures).
    The copy to folder is also recommended though, as this creates a copy in another folder and renames those, instead of your source files.
  • No pattern to follow.....this is a folder of fills i have collected over the past year or so from various sources....there is no rhyme or reason to the names within. I've just got to go through them and save one without the _L, _H,_VH extension and i THINK it should be ok. Its just A LOT of files
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Don't worry Lorelei. You aren't the only one who's done this to themselves ;)

By sheer coincidence I did it earlier today when I was trying to include a new stone texture in my personal collection. Fortunately I only had about ten affected patches to sort out. I didn't change the filenames back, but updated the affected fill areas with change properties.
    Another way of handling this instead of renaming the files:
    When you find a map with a red x fill in it, open the fill style dialog, go to bitmap files, find the offending fill (It will have a red x in the list as well, so it should be easy to find) and change the reference from the old one to any one of the four multi-resolution images. This updates the map to take advantage of multi-resolution fills at the same time as you are fixing it.
    edited August 2016
    That's what I tried to do first, but CC3 kept crashing every time I hit OK.

It may be down to the fact that the fills list is a complete mess. I have about 100 empty slots in there...

This is also a medium sized file by Ralf's reckoning (I've sent it to him before for another reason). It has about 100 sheets and is the slowest file I've got. Do you think that is why it crashes if I try to reassign a fill style?

EDIT: As a side question on the same topic - Is there a way to purge all the empty fill slots without having to do them one at a time?
    For your last question, no, not that I am aware of.

As for crashing, it might be, but difficult to say something conclusive. All the effects in city maps usually causes a load on CC3 though, so try turning off effects before working with the fill style. Sometimes, it can also help zooming into a blank spot on the map, simply because if it isn't on screen, CC3 doesn't have to update it. You can also try hiding all sheets.
    Thanks Monsen - I 'll try that :)
  • Well....i've done it. All 77 files. All i did was remove the _VH off and resaved all the VH files as my original file names. Whew. Well, next time, i'll check back to the Forum BEFORE finishing. - Although in all fairness, i did book my trip to Italy in between my original post and fixing my files, so all in all it didn't really take too long!
    Lorelei - the fastest mapper in the west - the day you do anything slowly will be the day I raise an eyebrow ;)