A quick question - pls help.

I m going to create a map of a little portion of my world.
The question is : how can I create a landmass without obtain any coasts?
I can draw 3 straight lines, but the 4th, and last one, always gives me coasts....
Can't avoid it...

Pls help!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    In that case, I wouldn't draw a landmass at all, when starting a new map, simply choose a land fill as the background instead of a sea fill.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited August 2016
    You don't have to draw anything extra to create the landmass.

You can change the properties of the background by hiding all the other sheets except the BACKGROUND sheet and then selecting it with the change properties tool, right clicking, and selecting 'do it'. In the dialogue box that opens up you will find an option to change the background fill to a more suitable land fill.

Hope that helps :)

Oops - sorry Monsen - posted at the same time!
  • Tx for your answers....
    but i can't understand how make this work....
    I tried to create a new map, but i choosed to create a personalized one, so
    i can't choose the background...i can only draw copyright note, scale bar, compass and title.
    Trying loopysue solution i obtained a white map (hiding background too) or,
    if i hide sea, sea contour and sea fetatures sheets, i have the usual blue blackground...
    i tried assigning an effect to my background sheet, i used colour key, choosing a light green one,
    but didn't work...and background is still blue...
    I m so a newbie.... :(
  • Have you read the User Manual? If not, i suggest you do, as this program works differently than many are used to. When starting a new map, any new map, on the screen where you can choose your dimensions, the copyright, scale bar, etc hit NEXT and there will be a dropdown box for you to choose a different background for your new map - if you want the entire map to be landlocked then choose a "Land" fil such a the "land dark green bitmap" hit NEXT again then FINISH. This should give you a new map with the entire fill being the green land fill.

I hope this is what you were looking for. But again, you should go through the User Manual step by step - it really helps you get a grasp of exactly what this amazing program can do. Also, i recommend the Tome of Ultimate Mapping, as well!
  • edited August 2016
    Tx for your patience....
    I understand your suggestion, about manual accurate reading...but I m italian (irishman is only a very old nick of mine...but this is another story....) and manual technic language is very hard, for my english knowledge...
    I tried it, but I find easier watching youtube tutorial....
    Anyway I'll try your new suggestion...
    Tx!!!

Edit : I found the way....it was so easy....sorry for stupid question....
    It wasn't a stupid question if you couldn't understand the manual :)
  • Tx Loopysue...

At last i ended my map...
    I m writing a fantasy, and I needed a map to attach to the file...
    This is the final (for now) job....

Is there a way to improve saving quality?
    I tried both jpg, bmp and png...and saw that png granted best result...
    but I d like to have a better quality....
    aaa.PNG 874.3K
    edited August 2016
    Posted By: irishmanIs there a way to improve saving quality?
    Click the Options button in the Save as dialog AFTER selecting the image file type, and change the resolution there.
  • Molto bene per la vostra prima mappa ! Cercare di ottenere il manuale utente tradotto in italiano ... si sarebbe stupito di quello che le mappe meravigliosi possono essere fatte per la scrittura . Abbiamo alcuni autori in questo forum la creazione di mappe per le loro opere , come pure! In bocca al lupo! E benvenuto alla famiglia utente Profantasy !

scusate la traduzione , io uso un programma - per restare in contatto con la mia famiglia in Italia - non è il migliore , ma è abbastanza buono per capirsi :)
  • edited August 2016
    Thank you for your suggestions and for the italian greeting!

EDIT : a new question...
    I think my map is too much fullfilled of text...but all symbols are important, because are places where
    main events of my story happen, and I need text to explain their meaning.
    I d like increase map size, obtaining more room in the lower part, to input a caption and leave my map cleaner...
    Is this possible, now that my map is already drew?
    Yes.
    The easiest for you is probably to start a new map in the desired size, and then copy over all elements from your old map to your new map (Edit -> Copy, make sure to finish the copy command properly, most people forget the last step, just keep an eye on the command line). Just use a selection window when selecting, and select anything on the inside of the map border, making sure to not copy the border itself.

It is also possible to simply change the size of the map border to make the current map larger, but that is more work and slightly more complicated.
  • I'll try copy n paste, then!
    Tx, Monsen!
  • 3 months later
  • Hi again....
    i use an old thread of mine, to not open a new one...
    I ve this new problem....i m ending my "Continental" map....
    i m in the last phase...texting....
    i ve the problem you can see in the picture...
    Text which is over the forest is very ugly..."dirty"...not like the one which is over something else...
    i used outer glow r255 g255 b255 opacity75% range 5 blur size 2 - map units....
    i did this to have a well readable text on dark background...
    Can't understand how to fix it...
    pls help!!!
  • Try move the sheet so it over draws the forest?
    Try changing your text color to a very dark grey instead of black and see if that fixes it. I am suspecting there might be a bleed-through from the identically colored pixels in the trees below.
    Do you happen to have a blend mode on that same sheet? I've seen this in my own maps, but only where I'm also using blend modes.
  • Tx Monsen...simply choosing a different black, fixed it!
    The gray worked too, but chromatic view was very distutrbing...

@cobra i don't know if i understood your question...anyway forest and text have 2 different sheets....forest has the standar one....for the text i created a special one, to make it with overglow effect...

@Loopysue two sheets (of forest and text) don't have blend mode effect active...

Thank you for your help....in less than 1 hour i ll be able to post the ended map....if you are interested, of course... :)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    I think it's safe to say the community is always interested to see maps by fellow community members! Looking forward to seeing it.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • edited December 2016
    Here it is....
    Posted By: DogtagI think it's safe to say the community is always interested to see maps by fellow community members! Looking forward to seeing it.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    Thank you, friends....for your help and interest....
    Nice looking map, Irishman :)

To me the Mare Scintillante is vaguely reminiscent of the Mediterranean?
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Nice. I especially like the lakes around Anellvik, in the north.

Thanks for sharing!

~Dogtag
  • Very cool! I does sort of remind me of the Mediterranean Sea but that's ok. It's a place I've never been but always wanted to go. I love the lakes in the north too. I'd hate to try to navigate through the top of this map though, too many dangers in the sea up there!
  • edited December 2016
    Thank you for your comments...
    I thought about real world, while creatina this map.....
    This area is where my book characters have their adventure...and it'an european-like zone....
    In the third book, they will be teleported in an Asia-like zone....
    But this is another story... :)
  • edited December 2016
    ....and this is the map of the dungeon where there is the last scene of the book...
    i don't have dungeon creator...i had to use the basic symbols....
    what do you think about it?
    To create corridor i used hill contour, without any sheet effect....
    I found dragon and pot cliparts online....

english caption :
    1 souls extraction machine
    2 armory
    3 jails
    4 teleport room, stable
    5 meat pieces room
    6 store
    7 secret passage, stairs
    8 kitchen
    9 storeroom
    10 refectory
    11 dormitory
    12 landfall blocking upstairs admittance
    13 Lephisto's mausoleum
  • 1 year later
  • Hi all!

I think nobody can remember me, anyway I resumed this old post of mine to help you do it!

I used CC3+ to create maps for my book...
    It has been on sale since February and selling is good (for a newbye author like me)...
    I upload some pics...
  • edited September 2018
    I m working on the sequel and on new maps...
    I think I'll ask for your help soon!

Here my maps pages in the book!
    Congratulations with getting your book out and the good sales.

For your next map (for a book), may I suggest using a black and white style such as the Mike Schley Inks style? Works better when printed in in black and white in a book like this, and you can more easily see in CC3+ when you work on the map what the end result will be.
  • Could be great, Monsen... but i m using the original continental map to create the regional map of Gherrod, by copy n paste command...
    To use the B\W i should create a new map, shouldn't I ?
    You can create a new map in the Mike Schely Inks style, then copy the landmass from your existing map, and in the new map use the Change Like Draw Tool command (found by right clicking the change properties button) to change the style of the copied landmass into the inks style.

See here for information about this command.
    Wow! Congratulations :D