new symbol for CA15

I made four new charges based upon the Cross of St. James / Cross of the Order of Santiago for use with CA issue 15:

red w/o black outline
varicolor w/o black outline

I don't know, if anyone has use for them, but here they are.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Thanks for these. New heraldry symbols are always welcome.
  • These are very nice - many thanks!
  • 11 months later
  • Question? How does one go about creating new non-png symbols for use with CC3? For example, if one were to have purchased a few of the armorial gold wmf vector clip art pieces and wanted to include them in the CC3 heraldry drawings, how would one go about that?

Also, how does one go about creating their own symbols from scratch? For PRIVATE use only (ie not for redistribution), I suspect I could for example, use a few scanned in pictures of art, trace over the pictures after using a bitmap for background tracing, and then save that as a symbol - but I'm a bit fuzzy behind how that would be done.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Creating vector symbols is described in the CC3 manual (Page 54). If you haven't downloaded it already, it was distributed with the latest patch (update 8).

As for wmf files, I don't think CC3 can import those. I suppose the only way is to either convert them to .png files and use them as regulr .png symbols, or trace over them in CC3 and define a symbol from them.
  • Ok, after doing a little bit of exploring, I found there is in fact, a way to import wmf files into CC3. The program that is required in order to effect this, is SManager by the same programmer who brought us WILBUR. This is the text instructions included in the zip package of SManager:

To convert a WMF file to a C2 file:

1) Save a blank uncompressed CC2 file. Compressed CC2 files won't work.
    2) Start SManager.
    3) Click Open on File 1 to bring up the windows File Picker dialog.
    4) Select your FCW file from the dialog and click Open to dismiss the
    file dialog and open your file.
    5) You will see a list of the symbols in the file.
    6) Click Import... to bring up the file picker dialog for WMF files.
    7) Pick a WMF file and click Open to dismiss the file picker and import
    the WMF file as a symbol. Some WMF files may not import correctly.
    Some WMF files may cause the program to crash. Some WMF files may
    not have a reasonable insertion point. That's the way it goes.
    7) Repeat steps 6 and 7 if desired.
    8) Click Done to close the FCW file.

I put SManager through its paces by using a test WMF file from Armorial Gold (http://www.heraldryclipart.com/) after requesting a free sample from them. The sample they sent was a hawk's head (Hawk couped?) with a collar. I then used the process listed above, and was able to use the symbol of the hawk's head in a coat of arms using CC3. I created a shield with a red background, a white chevron, two maltese crosses in the upper corners, and the Hawk's head under the chevron. It looks very nice actually.

In any event, Armorial Gold has some 4,000 symbols for sale for $39. For a mere *cough cough* $95, you can have a total of 12,000+ heraldric symbols for use with your mapping software. For what it is worth? It might be worth the while to look into FCW's guidelines for file description and perhaps fix the "bug" of not having reasonable "insertion point". In any event. It seems to work. :)
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Now there's a piece of software from the distant past...
  • That would be your handiwork I presume? ;)

Is there a way to look at the data in the file and make the WMF file format match that of the FCW? I looked at the files via your manager program and found a hodge podge of numbers. But, if one knew where the "reasonable insertion point" data is, then I could perhaps find a way to convert the data myself using visual Basic to open the files, read them, insert proper values in the proper locations, and presto...

It would be nice, but I figure that it is dream. Every time I try to find FCW file structure information, I get nothing resembling what I'm looking for, including legal eviction help, etc *sheesh*
  • I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but changing the insertion point of a symbol is changing the origin point once the symbol is edited with the symbol manager. Use the ORIGIN command and click where you'd like the point to be.
    Posted By: HalCThat would be your handiwork I presume? ;)
    Yes, I did that bit of software. And the now-obsolete SymFill CC2 plugin. And some of the filters in CC3. And Wilbur. And Fractal Terrains.
    Posted By: HalC
    Is there a way to look at the data in the file and make the WMF file format match that of the FCW? I looked at the files via your manager program and found a hodge podge of numbers. But, if one knew where the "reasonable insertion point" data is, then I could perhaps find a way to convert the data myself using visual Basic to open the files, read them, insert proper values in the proper locations, and presto...

It would be nice, but I figure that it is dream. Every time I try to find FCW file structure information, I get nothing resembling what I'm looking for, including legal eviction help, etc *sheesh*
    The CCx file format is defined in the FastCAD SDK. There is also a developer's mailing list at Yahoo! groups (cc2-dev-l) that you can sign up for at the ProFantasy web site. Look under the "Community" menu.
  • Much as I have to admit it - I'm leary of joining the developer's mailing list simply because I've not a clue about what goes into development and programming and such. I've a degree in data processing from 1987 (largely unused since then alas) and I've been slowly teaching myself Visual basic 6 over the years. But that is pretty much where it ends. If a certain file format is required and certain numbers have to be present for a point of insertion to be usable, or if there were a way to directly convert WMF files into symbol files for use with CC2 and/or 3 - I believe that it would make for a NICE app. Heraldry ironically enough, was the selling point for why I upgraded (amongst other reasons to be sure!) from my older CC2 over to CC3. Being able to purchase 4,000 vector based symbols for use with CC2 and/or CC3 for $40 seems to warrant such a small specialized app in my opinion. Then again, I'm not the one writting it, nor spending the time swearing at the computer because I can't find a logic flaw or bug in the program I wrote ;)

By the by? I got confused as to which application/program allowed me to see the guts of the wmf file. It turns out that I had to use SManager to import the WMF file, but then had to use the symbol manager from CC3 to view the contents of the symbol file itself.

In all however, CC2/CC3 is something I hope to rediscover as a pleasant enough past time. I have to confess - I'm really excited at the prospect of spending some time crafting a few sets of heraldric shields for use with my Harnic Kaldor campaign.
    edited December 2009
    Posted By: HalCMuch as I have to admit it - I'm leary of joining the developer's mailing list simply because I've not a clue about what goes into development and programming and such. I've a degree in data processing from 1987 (largely unused since then alas) and I've been slowly teaching myself Visual basic 6 over the years. But that is pretty much where it ends. If a certain file format is required and certain numbers have to be present for a point of insertion to be usable, or if there were a way to directly convert WMF files into symbol files for use with CC2 and/or 3 - I believe that it would make for a NICE app.
    If I recall, there have been a number of discussions in using Basic with the SDK. Been a while though, so I may be misremembering some of the discussions.

On the Harn front, I recommend the Electronic Atlas: Kanday product from Columbia games. It has a fari number of nice maps in it for a reasonable price.