Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2016

Another game, links to the pdfs on my site, they are free. A Greek city-state game. It has a Viking conversion to. Well, Norse who went a Viking. There are no people named Viking.

I'll just say I had some bad indigestion, and decided to make more maps.
      mazes01b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2016

That's pretty good Jim. Don't think I could do so well if I had indigestion.

Do you think it would be improved any if you faded the line between the shallows and the deep?
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2016 edited

No idea. I was mostly trying to not move much... and as I find just sleeping to be boring I made this map.

oh, gee. I forgot the site link:

Mazes and Minotaurs site

update: Since my main domain wasn't being used, I moved this site to my main domain. Yes, now the url is silly, but it would take me a month to change all of the urls and navigation menus.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2016 edited

And here is a part of a Norse area, for the Viking add-on. Hopefully the fjords look like fjords...

There will be more maps to the right and below, 3 more total.
      norseland01b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2016

Here is the upper left map with the rune font supplied by Mark.
      norseland01b2.png
    I like the new font and the fjords.

I like to go to my maps when I am trying to feel better as well. :-)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2016

Posted By: LoopysueThat's pretty good Jim. Don't think I could do so well if I had indigestion.

Do you think it would be improved any if you faded the line between the shallows and the deep?

Oh, I didn't realize it when I read your question, but those aren't shallows. Thats the continental shelf. The water is typically a mile deep. The dark waters go down several more miles.

When I do the local maps, I'll map shallows and use several blue bitmaps to show different water depths.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2016

Ah-ha! I see now.

I look forward to seeing the next few maps, then :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2016 edited

Still no shallows.

Maybe I'm being lazy and not using effects. :-)

Anyway, this is part of the Helos Continent, country of Hyperboria. Nearby islands, and the ice section of this continent.
      Hyperboria01b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2016

This indigestion project of yours is coming along really well, Jim :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2016

A preliminary map of the Argos area.

Several problems. I used a city template instead of an overland template.

Probably due to that, when I went to use another water bitmap fill, it looked too regular.

This map uses CD3B_Water1. I tried to add CD3B_Water2 and got just a bland blue area. Not 'rough' like the frst one. I used the same scale.

I'll add a map showing the CD3B_Water2 addition.
      Argos01_0008b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Of course, now it isn't doing it.
      Argos01_0009b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

A bit more deeps added.
      Argos01_0011b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2016

A bit of update on the Argos area map.
      Argos01_0014b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2016

I like the land part of the map but I have to admit the sea contours are throwing me off a bit. That's an awful lot of deep water right at the coast (about 200 mi along the coast and 100 mi of it in a straight line). I'm sure there's a reason but it messes with my head, especially when the larger map of Hyperborea uses more traditional sea contours. Just my $0.02.

As usual, I'm blown away by the sheer quantity of mapping you do, Jim. It's inspirational.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2016

The larger map shows the continental shelf, not the other contours.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2016 edited

Updates on the left world map and a new map to the east. I think I'll be doing this in 3 maps wide and two tall. That is subject to change.
      norseland01b.png
      norseland02b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2016

Top one reminds me of home. Got inspired by Norway/Scandinavia by any chance?
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2016

I did add some fjords in there that aren't in the original map. The game designers pulled from Norse or Scandinavian mythology. Odin and his group are mentioned in the pdf.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2016 edited

updated with my statement lower right.
      norseland01b.png
      norseland02b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2016 edited

Looking good, Jim.

The updated statement also looks fine, but might I suggest making it just a tiny bit smaller? Its a bit easy to confuse it with the text of the map the way it is - the same colour and the same size. I know I shouldn't really post my maps on your thread, but I need to show you what I mean by that.

This is a gross enlargement screen shot segment of the Merelan City map showing what I have done with my own copyright message and mark. Its probably equivalent in size and area to the bottom left 4x2 grid squares of the map above (if both maps were shown in full at a similar physical size). Its not very large, but removing it would damage the much larger title and take a substantial slice off both the right side and bottom side of the map - rendering it practically useless.

MARK.jpg

By making this suggestion I am thinking of your players, and their enjoyment of your maps.
    One thing I would like to mention is with your "water mark" It would be easy for someone to edit it off of your map, especially with the grid. I would suggest putting the watermark partially over coastline or on an angle of about 30 degrees. That way they don't just cut and paste a clear section of ocean over the watermark. Then grid and lines make it really easy to line up and make look perfect for any alteration.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2016

Good idea to make it cross onto the land, but I think it would look quite distracting if it was at an angle. I must confess I hadn't thought of the cut and paste option to hide it, but if people are going to do that to literally thousands of maps (Jim's collection), then they really are sad bunnies! LOL!
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2016

I did make it a different font. Size I can just go in an edit it. I thought of angle and coastline. It would make it harder to edit out. As for it being on lots of maps, it still isn't likely to deter someone bound to do it.
    Yea it's a shame people have to rip off other peoples work. I am glad you are going to make it a bit more difficult for them to pass it off as theirs.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2016

Thanks. I spent 3 to 5 years on the drive-in movie theater site. I spent hours, well, months, looking over aerial photos and topographic maps on the terraserver server, that is now gone, to look for them. I found some listings, but many just had the name of the town and the state, not the road or highway they were on. Other had addresses. I still have the files of the ones I found, but I just don't want to put them back up.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2016 edited

Ah, an update to the Hyperboria map.

Odd name 'Shorn City', but its has barbers who like cutting hair. If your character doesn't have any hair, they will gladly supply a wig, so they can trim it, excuse me, cut it for you.

Twin Lighthouses of Poseidon and Monestary to Hermes are self-expalanatory.

Sure you wouldn't want a hair cut ?
    :-)
      Hyperboria01b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2016

And a close up redo of Argos and Argos' Bay area.
      Argos01b.png
    • CommentAuthorJay_NOLA

I love your maps Jim. I hope you mke the map files available for download. Also, what is the name of the rune like font you are using?
    • CommentAuthorShessar

I was going to ask about the font too.

Also what ocean fill are you using in the latest? It really makes your maps pop.

I agree with Jay. I love your maps. The style is simple and clean making it very easy to follow. You have great place names too. :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Its the rune font Mark posted in here a month or so ago. Just do a search on me looking for a Norse-like font.

Here ya go: http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=6357&page=1#Item_7

I might post the fcw files in here. I started doing for these like I did for my Traveller maps... its hard to come up with thousands of planet names. So, I took basic syllables, and changed one letter.

Zar, Zir, Zer, Zur, Zyr. And tried not to place them in the same sector, unless its a small empire.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

The ocean fills are:

CD3B_Water 2, and CD3B_Water 3
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2016 edited

Almost forgot what I came by for...

For your consideration. A thatch roof map border.
      Argos01b2.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2017 edited

Since my main domain was going unused due to people taking my Drive-In movie theater site and actng like they did the work, I had deleted those files. But it has been unused for years.

So I moved my Mazes and Minotaurs site to my main domain.

Mazes and Minotaurs site

Yes, now the url is silly, but it would take me a month to change all of the urls and navigation menus.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2017

Jim, I'm getting a "403 Forbidden" error message trying to access your new Mazes & Minotaurs link (it still seems to be the Drive-In one).
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2017

Ah, its just the top of the domain. I'll check into it.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2017 edited

I had to turn off hot link protection to get it to work.

edit: okay, got hot link protection back on, and I figured out why it wasn't working.

Thanks for letting me know !
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2017

Great to have this sorted now Jim!

Following your comments about M&M, and seeing the revised versions of the products appearing on the OneBookShelf download sites recently, I decided to "invest" in a set of these too (for those who don't know, it's a really low-cost RPG investment, as all books, supplements, adventures, etc., are entirely free!).

M&M is an interesting set-up, but I do wish the author/editor had had the courage to do a proper revision this time round, and more checking of the supplements (which are mostly taken from the old free e-zine "Minotaur", still retaining their page-number cross-references in places, which make no sense in their revised formats). The whole structure is a bit too rambling for easy use presently, to me. I would quite like to do something with it, even so. And yes, better-detailed maps to suit more my ideas of the sort-of-ancient-Greek-like world setting are high among my priorities as well :D
    • CommentAuthorJimP

This is no island, its a continent called Gralos.

Forlorn Henge a study in howling winds, when there is no wind. Rumors of wolves so huge, their knees are higher above the ground than the height of a full grown warrior haunt The Great Ice.

The Frosted Hills, an area of contention between Arcadia and Amazonia. Rumors of beings who can shape shift into someone from the other side of the conflict. Until this is resolved, the warriors stay away. Trade continues in Ognoc's Bay.

80% of the map size:
      Gralos01b.png
    • CommentAuthorJay_NOLA

The One Book Shelf sites version for those that don't know is the "Anniversary Edition" version which are the Revised version PDFs witch have some added stuff in them. In some cases this is minor like a small side bar or a page of stuff and in others cases it can be several additional pages of material that got added. They also have 1 new M&M PDF that is only on One Book Shelf sites that talks about the Anniversary Edition and explains what it is and what is getting an Anniversary Edition.

If your going to do a print of a PDF I recommend you get the One Book Shelf PDF to print from or wait for it.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2017

An update to the first Viking add-on map. Added some cities and a dwarf stronghold up by the ice.
      norseland01b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2017 edited

100 mile area of the city of Take. They never claim they are better than Better. Both are in Vedland.
      Take01b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2017 edited

And a new addition, part 3 of 4, for the Viking Land add-on to this rpg. This is my version of the map. Oooh, now the correct map is uploaded, 65% reduction. May have to rename the ocean in the lower part of the map. No ice there. Now corrected the ocean name. Hopefully I am done.
      norseland03b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Detail added to the third Viking Land map. Yes Creeepy instead of Creepy.
      norseland03b2.png