New User Question

Hello Everyone,

I know this has to be a simple solution, but for the life of me, I cannot seem to resolve it. Hoping you all can help. I have a map that I want to make a city on. I am trying to use the random streets tool...but I cannot seem to make the houses come out proportional to my map. They are HUGE. How do I get them to draw in proportion to my city size?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Hi Verdaccio. Welcome to CC3/CD3 and the ProFantasy forum.

This may sound weird, but when you created the map, did you choose a city map type, or did you choose an overland map type? CC3 uses generic "map units" for its scales. Symbols are typically set up to scale correctly by using the map units of their intended map type. In an overland map, those map units translate to miles or kilometers, so 1 map unit is 1 mile. City maps, on the other hand, typically translate map units as feet or meters. So, a house symbol that is 30 feet in a city map might be 30 miles on an overland map.

If you're not sure, start a new map and be sure to select a city map type.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • I have used houses on overland maps, but before I place the symbol, I right click and select 'Set Normal' close the Symbol Parameters popup, then place the symbol. Note that this may or may not work on all templates. So I try what it changes to when I do the above. If that doesn't work I select the same symbol, and rasie or lower the 'Scale X and Y' block on the Symbol Paramaters popup. When I find one that works, I delete the ones off scale, and use the scale I figured out.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited August 2016
    I don't think the Symbol Parameters dialog is available via right click while using the Random Street tool.
  • Ah, I missed that bit. Apologies.
  • Verdaccio, if you right click on the Random Street Button then click the Street Settings Button, you can set the sizes of the houses, as well as how far or close they are to each other.
  • Thanks for the replies everyone! I am still getting used to how this tool works. Your inputs were spot on - it was an overland map and I did figure out how to resize the buildings from your descriptions. :)