Something like Illustrator's divide tool?

I was wondering if there is anything that can do a similar job to Illustrator's "divide" tool, what I want especifically is to be able to divide a polygon according to one or more paths that intersect with it. for example, say I have:

Then, I draw

So, I press divide and this is what I get:

But now if I ungroup it and move I am left with:

This is useful for modding polygons, addings dents, doors, etc (Which is the final result I am interested in)

Another simple example here:

Start with

Intersect

End with

Is there any tool in CC3 I can use to do this, or anyway I can get it done in a relatively easy way?

Comments

• I don't believe there is a single command that will do what you want. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will be along to teach me something.

What I'd do:
    1) Draw your lines & hex (or whatever)
    2) Set your line color and fill style to something else
    3) Trace each piece with a polygon. If you use the Modifier command "Intersection" you will be able to just click on each intersection to create corners.

Steve
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    A divide/unify command is on the wish list, but no - we don't currently have one.
  • I believe You could achieve this with some clever combination of trimming followed by "Combine Path" command. In some cases You might also need to copy some parts of the diagram to get "more pieces" of a stroke.
    At least - this is what I use when I need to split/divide drawing in a similar way...

If You have no clue of "what or how" I might post some simple example if You ask for it.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    To get from A to B in your drawing you could use Trim to Entity. Then explode the whole thing, and split all the crossing lines at their intersections using the intersection modifier. Finally copy each shape, then do Combine Path on each section. Not as neat as Divide, I agree.