Town of Knavesthorpe

This is the home base of the adventurers in the campaign I am developing. Its a work in progress. I am looking for any tips or advice if there is something really wrong. I saved this as a PNG at 1000x800. Should I have saved it as something larger or smaller to make the streets look better?

Comments

• This looks pretty good! One thing you might want to do, is soften your lines on the contours in the ocean and land with an inner edge fade. Same thing on your roads. It makes everything blend into each other.

I'm curious to know, what is that in the upper left corner?
  • This is a great start. In addition to LadieStorm's suggestions, I'd say that the streets look too regular and orderly. (Unless, of course, this town was originally founded by the equivalent of Romans, who loved straight roads.)
  • Looks like some small hills between lines of trees, or marching grasshoppers, to me. Well, hopping grasshoppers, I don't think they would be in marching formation. But who knows ?
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited August 2016
    Posted By: JimPLooks like some small hills between lines of trees, or marching grasshoppers, to me. Well, hopping grasshoppers, I don't think they would be in marching formation. But who knows ?
    The upper left corner? It looks like farmland to me.

I like this map, and the Jon Roberts style. As a WIP, I don't know what else you're planning but here are some of my thoughts. You might consider adding some trees peppered throughout the city here and there, besides the collection on the left (west?) side. Are you planning to add more buildings between the walls and the street? You may want to add some more outside the walls, too, as well as streets outside the walls for traffic in and out from the outlying buildings and farmland.

I hope you'll share your next iteration too!

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Thanks for the tips. The land in the northwest is indeed farmland. It is supposed to represent the kings fields that the the commoners work. The lines of trees are apple trees that are also being cultivated. I am thinking about adding more roads and trees outside the town. I kind of thought the same thing about the roads but I would have had to go back and completely redo them from scratch. I may do that at some point but for now I think what I have looks ok. The city was actually founded as a vacation spot for the Duke to get away from his nagging Duchess. I'm writing up a history for all the towns I make. Eventually the entire thing is going to be a campaign world for players.
  • edited August 2016
    I tried to redo this map after doing a bit of research on a town of 2500, which is what Knavesthorpe is supposed to be, and redid the map. I think it looks ok so far but the symbols are so small and this map takes forever to load with the style I am using. Any thoughts as to which map is better, or better yet, does anyone know how to compress this map so it doesn't take forever to load and I can work on it without worrying about load times? Obviously the new version is not done yet. Thanks for any input!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    City maps generally have much more effects and more complicated effects, causing their slowness especially on larger cities. I recommend you work with the effects off. It won't look as pretty while working, but that shouldn't be a problem, you can turn on effects when you need to check something.

The scale of the texture you are using for your road looks way off. I would recommend reducing it significantly. (The 'Scaled' option in the fill style dialog). If scaling isn't enabled for that fill, enable it, and find a reasonable value.