Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2016 edited

Here are some of the maps I'm making for my Tunnels and Trolls site. The world map isn't finished.

World map made in CC3, Cosmographer. The town and ruins maps are made in CC3+

Added more to the world map. Added even more to the world map, Aug 16.

The deep blue ocean can/could be a conduit for monsters and/or cold ocean currents. The few medium blue hexes could be sea ports, but no one lives there.
      Bragnol01b.png
      town01b.png
      ruins01bb.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2016

Folks are stopping by my site, using the above link. Any comments on the maps ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

So far, so good, Jim. I've never played T&T myself so I'm not familiar with any special map quirks, but they look good to me.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

You may wish to change the coloration of that world map a little. The deep blue hexes are too blue compared to the other ocean hexes, making them look more like part of the landmass. Maybe make the not-so-deep ocean a little bit darker blue to get a better contrast between land and sea, that would make the map easier to read.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Yeah, doing gradiants in hex mapping is difficult. I'll see what I can come up with.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2016 edited

Two part town/city on 500' x 400' temaplates.
      town02b.png
      town03b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2016

Here is a bit of redo on the world map.
      Bragnol01b2.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2016

Finding a way to get the ocean to look better, when working with hexes, is a problem. I've tried different colors.
      Bragnol01_0033b.png
    • CommentAuthorKenG
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2016

For your Joker map why not lower the hex grid to below the buildings.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2016

Hadn't thought about that. I typically have symbols, then grid, then text.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2016

a very preliminary, just showing major locations, map of icosohedron point number 10 of the world map.

The mountains, hills, and single trees are just place holders at this time. The single trees are actually forests. The volcano will be surrounded by other mountains, etc.
      therocks02b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2016 edited

I have gotten around to numbering the places in Jester for a town directory. Merchant Way in Jester East will be the stores selling to adventurers. Other than that, the Inn and Stables, and the two Tax Collectors, I haven't decided who lives in the rest. 90 areas/buildings total.
      town02b.png
      town03b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2016 edited

Zagond and the area around this nation. Its just below point 2 and point 3 of the world map.

Humans in Zogand. And dwarves, and a few trolls, in the mountains to their east.
      Zagond01b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2016 edited

an update for triangle 10, The Rocks. Did I forget to name the oceans ? Yes, I did. Updating the world map in a bit.
      therocks02b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2016 edited

Updated world map.

Looks a bit fuzzy to my eyes, here is a link to the one on my site.

Updated this map with Talon Waters on it, lower right point, i.e. number 10.
      Bragnol01b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2016

Oh yes :)

I don't usually go a bundle on hex maps (and please don't take that personally), but this one is really quite attractive :)
    • CommentAuthorTonnichiwa
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2016

I like it too. I used to love it when they made those kind of maps for the Traveller game. Though this map looks far better than the ones I have seen for Traveller. Great job JimP :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2016

Thanks. Haven't named the south polar ocean yet though.

Except for one or two maps, I have been using Fractal Terrains 3 for my Traveller maps. Create a world, and it exports fcw and png in the Traveller style.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2018

Now a sub-domain, sorry not much in the way of new maps.

my Tunnels and Trolls site
    There's a lot of imagination going on here, Jim, and I love imagination.

I used to play Tunnels & Trolls. In fact, it was the first true RPG that I ever played, because it had single-player "choose your own adventure" modules, and back then I didn't have any players, and was just known as Gaz.

It's a great system and I'm glad you're exploring it further with your maps.

Particularly like the village and ruins maps. There's definitely adventure there!

DMG
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2018

My first rpg as well. I had been shown a 1e PHB a few months earleir, but since I was changing majors, which necessitated changing universities, I was leaving. About 1979 we moved to coastal Mississippi. My siblings found Zocchi's warehouse on Pass road in Biloxi, and it went from there.

Sometimes my imagination goes beyond what I think I can do with mapping software.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2018

Well... I dislike trying to draw surface ruins, gives me a headache. Anyway, this is a ruin well south in Zogland, its on the map for Zogland. A bad guy has fixed things up a bit, left skeletons fomr the previous owners and put additional undead skeletons inside the walls to confuse adventurers.

The two skeletons lower left with green shields, has a poison coating on them. On the shields that is. In T&T, saves are vs. luck. So this is a mild poison, save vs. Luck level 1, or take 2 hits to strength.

The map below is at 75% of the size I'll be putting on my site. I'll be making an iso dungeon for the lower levels.

T&T is hexagon based, but I think the Iso dungeon will work for this.
      ruins03b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2018 edited

And here is a 1037 x 844 mile map of the area between the starting dungeon in Petal I made last time, and the new ruin. I decided to use the Tolkein font for this one. 75% of a 1200 pixel map.

Oops, looked at thge wtong part of the world map. This is the Bubbling Ocean not Talon Waters.
      ruins03_area01b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2018 edited

Bubbling ocean of blackness?

I think, unless its only me, something went wrong with that one, Jim?

EDIT: Oh look, its all right again now!

Sometimes when I visit the forum some of the images are just blank, or full of interference like the snow on an old TV set from the 50s.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Something to do with the Internet being slow these days I guess.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Now I can see it - great map, Jim :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Gracias !
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2018

I would love to know why someone keeps setting Sink on this thread.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2018

Here is the ruin floor plan with some effects.
      ruins03b2.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2018

Working on a basement for this small keep. And some sub-floors below it. I'll be using the Iso dungeon symbols, etc.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2018 edited

A small tentative basement, with a small room. The treasure chest in the small room contains a few coins. A secret latch opens up a floor hatch and a metal ladder downwards. The wooden trap door could lead to another level, the same level as the small room, or be a trap.

edited for a typo. It would be great if my brain noticed the typo before I click submit, instead of right after.
      ruins03_basement01_0005b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2018 edited

Two sections below the basement area.

Left side is below the wood trap door, the regular burial area. The two small stone boxes are burial items.

Right side was a hidden burial area apparently found by thieves. Odd they should find it on first try. Or its a trap.
      ruins03_basement02_0007b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2018

With you, Jim, it's probably a dastardly trap of the kind where you think you've got out of it, but then discover the escape is also a trap! :P
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2018

And the 3 stair symbols are going down to another level.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2018

Not sure if I want to make the next level down perspective or overhead view.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

There are two ways of looking at that. The first is that it would be confusing to completely change style and view within the same set of maps, and the second is that variety adds interest. So its up to you :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I'm thinking of making it both. One map overhead, and the same rooms in perspective. If I can get it to work as the same symbols aren't available.

And here we go with the ruins maps and some info added.

Down on the coast of Zogland is a ruin called Talon castle.

1) skelatal remains, not undead.

2) entrance One skeleton to the North. Three skeletons to the South. MR 10 scimitar 4 dice and shield takes one hit

3) two skeletons, MR 10 scimitar 4 dice and shield takes one hit

4) a partially blocked entrance. The boards might cover a trap.

5) moving the rocks, hopefully after the skeletons are dead, will find a small box. It has two 50 gp pearls, and 25 silver pieces in it.

6) and 7) deadly fungi.

8) stairs down into the basement.

9) just a skeleton

10) The two skeletons to the south, with green shields, have a low level poison and spikes on their shields. Luck 1 save to avoid. Fail means 2 hits to strength. MR 10 scimitar 4 dice and shield takes one hit

11) in a shallow hole under this skeleton is a small ring. Any fire attacks on wearer are at half damage.

12) a wooden hatch in the dirt. Drop into the basement.

T&T uses MR, Monster ratings, instead of other means like in d&d.
      ruins03b3.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2018 edited

I left this map larger as I am thinking about adding some rooms to the blank space.

Basement of Talon Castle ruins. The rooms and stairs are enclosed. This is an Isomentric cutaway to show the rom interiors.

1) stairs up to surface

2) false door

3), 4), 5), and 7) are empty cages

6) hole into a dungeon, no way back up that you can see.

8) stairs down to small room

9) skeleton, undead MR 10, 2dice.

10) small room

11) small chest contains 75 gold pieces, 150 silver pieces, a silver dagger.
      ruins03_basement01b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Sub-Floors Basement of Talon Castle ruins. The rooms and stairs are enclosed. This is an Isomentric cutaway to show the rom interiors.

1) small room, the metal ladder has rotted away.

2) a catch near the top step must be flipped away from the stairs. Otherwise one of tghe steps will fall through to a narrow place under it. Trapping anyone that falls in, well, a pixie will likely get free. But a pixie wont activate the trap.

3), a sarcophagus containing a dead cleric.

4) his burial goods.

5) a younger cleric is buried here

6) the second cleric's burial goods

7) a small room. A rope is required to get down here. A quick thinking adventurer will realize that if this is a trap, where are the bones of those who fell in ?

8) sturdy stairs downward

9) a small 10' by 10' room.

10) a sarcophagus. A trap. The skeleton is waiting for someone to reach in, it will then attack. MR 10 , scimitar 4 dice

11) stairs leading to where ?
      ruins03_basement02b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Its the area below the sub-floors I'm thinking of making both perspective and overhead. T&T doesn't have magic item listings... its up to the referee to make some up. The books say its for my imagination, but I need info to know what will work with this rpg.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2018

A closer in view of the Talon Castle ruins area. 248 miles across.
      ruins03_area02b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2018 edited

Making some detail maps of Shur Land, world map points 8 and 9. This is point 8, which is why its labeled part 01.
      Shur_Land01b.png
    • CommentAuthorJensen
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2018 edited

I pretty much like the Talon Castle ruins area map. Would you like to share some background on it? (esp. about the warning monoliths, the Defenders of the realm and the place called Apples, Apples (this one makes me quite curious :-))
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2018

The warning monoliths have messages on them warning to stay away from Talon Castle, its in ruins.

Defenders etc. is the name of the castle and they defend Zogland. One of several castles, etc.

Apples, Apples... a town that grows apples. I forgot to put the red ripe apple symbol on the map.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2018 edited

And Part 02 of Shur Land. There is a bit on this part of the continent that goes up into the middle lattitudes. I'll be mapping it separately. The farmlands symbols show areas of farms. Detailed local maps will show exact locations. At this scale, few structures like castles, cities, and villages are shown. Rivers likely flow into bays, not shown otherwise

The water between Part 01 and Part 02 is known as the Great Bay, over 1,000 miles across in places.

A Great Blue whale courses through the icy Talon Waters looking for ships to eat.

Up through the center of this continent is a waste land, few go there, except to hunt for treasure and humanoids. Not all come back.

And I love been able to see the names of bitmap fills in their entirety. Upgrade number 18 does it.
      Shur_Land02b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2018

And part 03 of Shur Land, which is North of Part 02.
      Shur_Land03b.png
    • CommentAuthorTexas Jake

You are making nice progress on this, Jim.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2018 edited

Thanks. I should have fractalized the Part 03 ocean currents. But I want to work on some scenarios first.

edit: Well, I meant ocean depths, not currents. Good grief.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Ocean currents are like rivers - they don't zig zag, but run along the course of least resistance dependent on temperature (colder water is more dense and sinks) and Coriolis force (generated by planetary movement/orbit), so they don't generally tend to zig zag as if they have been fractalized.

But already I get the feeling that I'm not getting a handle on what you really mean. Are you talking about actual currents, or the sea contours?

Nice work so far :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

On the map currently are ocean contours. I'll put the ocean currents in later.