SS3 Bug

There seems to be a bug in the SS3 Bitmap A and Bitmap B catalogs with the scale not keeping it's settings.

To reproduce this bug:

Start a new floorplan map in either Bitmap A or Bitmap B style.
Select any symbol catalog except furniture.
Select one of the symbols from the catalog, right click, set scale to 2, place symbol.
Select the furniture catalog
Select a symbol from the furniture catalog.
New Symbol has reverted to a scale of 1. It should remain as 2.

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    This is indeed a bug, but it is not specific to SS3. It seems to always happen if you get multiple catalog settings to choose from - it will set the symbol scale back to the default value. The workaround would be to change the drawing's default symbol scale.

Thanks for noticing and reporting this! It goes on the list of things to fix.
  • I'm glad to help Ralf.

This is the first time I've played around with SS3 with any seriousness, and have just discovered another problem.

The Vector Catalogs do not load when using the Catalog Toolbar Buttons. That is, the filter settings seem to be missing or incorrect. Apologies, but I do not have time at the moment to figure out why this isn't working.
  • 1 year later
  • I do have another bug that is specific to SS3 symbol sets

When i start a new modern floorplan all symbol buttons and menu options work normal.
    Once you press the ss3 menu button that looks like a grey folder. (it is lefft of the SS4 menu button and right with a space in between of the CD button)
    All buttons and menu commands to summon the symbols for a modern symbol set do not work, you get this window where you have to choose the advanced button and then you have to replace modern with ss3 in order to get a ss3 symbol set.

Is there a way o fix this yourself or does it need to be patch with a official patch?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    SS3 contains a lot of styles, and the button can only load the master filter setting for one of of them, which causes it to load one not appropriate for your current map. The simple fix to load the correct master filter is simply to load your map again. First, save it, then select it from the recent files entries in the File menu. This will reload the map (even if already open), and this will run the macros that sets up everything correctly for the particular map style used in that map.
  • edited January 2018
    I load a example map that comes with SS3
    I click a few symbol catalog buttons in the lowest of the top toolbars and i get the expected result: the symbols on my left change.
    I click on the SS3 button that looks like a grey folder in a top toolbar
    I click on the same symbol buttons as before: I get this selection window without options and am forced to use the advanced button and change some values in there.

I should not reload a map every time i push that ss3 button. I dont't need to do this when i do the same with the other buttons. this is clearly a bug.
    edited January 2018
    It is kind of a bug. All the buttons load a default filter when you switches add-ons, however, the filter used when loading SS3 seems poorly chosen. The reason for loading a new filter when you switch add-ons is to make the symbol catalog buttons work, as a dungeon filter doesn't work very well when you hit the overland symbol catalog buttons.
    However, it is important to note that all the buttons just load the default filter, so even if it didn't load a bad filter like it does for SS3, there is no guarantee that the default filter loaded by the buttons will match the map style you are actually using anyway.

Generally, it is not recommended that you switch add-ons in the middle of a map, if you need different symbol catalogs, it is usually better to just use the load symbol catalog button, as switching add-ons completely changes your environment to another map type. The way environment is set up for a particular map is done through a macro contained in each map, which is why I recommended just reloading the map, as this also reruns the macro and sets the environment (primarily filters and menus) back to whatever is appropriate for this map.
    Other methods for doing this is to manually load the correct master filter (right click the toggle symbol style button, choose master filter), but I find reloading the map actually quicker since it doesn't need to be closed or anything.

But yes, the SS3 button should be changed to load a better filter by default, that it loads a filter that results in a blank window is a bug, but even if that would make the symbol catalog buttons work correctly, as I explained above, that wouldn't guarantee that the correct filters for your particular map style gets loaded, so you may still need to load new filters yourself one way or another after switching add-ons.

You can fix this yourself by editing the macro file (Tools -> Macros -> Edit Macros). Scroll down untill you find the LOADSS3 macro, and on the line below, replace the SS3 at the end with SS3a:
    SYMICONMR;SYMICONFLOAD SS3a
    Be careful not to change anything else, and ideally make a backup of the file before editing it (It is found as fcw32.mac in the CC3+ data directory, you can edit it there with a text editor if you prefer, but if so, close CC3+ first)
  • Thank you Monsen

The macro fix that you explained was the fix i was looking for (at least the closest thing you can get to it).

I was already kinda working my way towards it.

I also found another fix:
    In the Symbols menu you can select the "Master Setting Filter..."
    This allows you to manage your main filter that allows you to filter sets of a certain theme that shares the same theme name.
    you can load an existing one, save new ones or edit old one and save over the original(this last option can destroy that filter setting permanently if you don't know what your doing!!!!)
    The dot shows which one is active. A couple of profiles will show the same filters but you will notice that the dot might be in the middle with one and at the top with another, if the second one has the dot then your buttons will search for symbol files that belong only to the theme name of the second, NOT any of the other theme sets. Same for the first dot and any other on the list.
    Any of the theme filters allows you to toggle your symbol between those sets with the symbol style toggle button/menu option.

So in my case if I wanted to keep the macro as it is I could just edit the SS3 profile by first adding all the options that you get with the SS3a profile, then select the theme i want to use the most and save the profile as SS3 wich would overwrite the original SS3 profile.(and if i make to big of an error corrupt the profile beyond repair)
    After you do this whenever you load the SS3 tools either with the SS3 button or the menu (Tools>Add Ons>Symbol Set 3 - Modern) the active symbol theme that will be loade will be the one that you had the dot on when yous saved the SS3 file. To pick another (like the SS3b sets) you would need to toggle the symbol style.

Remember what Monsen said(i changed it a tiny bit though):Be careful when you change anything, and ideally make a backup of the file before editing it.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Wow! talk about a high tech conversation!

Most of that went totally so far over my head that I could swear it was a jet plane :P

I just dropped in to say 'Hi Mithrandir' :)
    @Mithrandir:
    Yes, that's also a good way of fixing the issue. That's also closer to what the official fix will be, which will also come with the missing symbol catalog settings for Modern*. This will arrive in the next update, but ProFantasy probably won't issue an update now for a relatively minor issue, so it will arrive the next time they find it necessary to put out a patch.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    I've updated the SS3 setup to include this fix. So if you are eager, you can get re-download the SS3 setup and reinstall it.