Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorLadieStorm
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2016 edited

Daltan took a deep breath, held it for a moment, and let it out slowly. He stared up at the great arch, excitement, anxiety, and no little fear coursing through his veins. The Labyrinth stood before him, silent as the grave. He looked down at the worn path leading from the collegium doors to this spot, the entrance to the maze. Every mage, wizard, priest, and druid that has ever graduated from this place has had to face this rite of passage.

His task, to retrieve the 7 talismans hidden somewhere in this labyrinth. Retrieve them and exit with the 7 talismans intact. Rumors surround this maze, all types of creatures are believed to inhabit it. A test of strength, will, and yes knowledge in the arcane. Equipped with an 'adventurers' pack, he had 7 days to complete this rite of passage and graduate from the collegium. Nothing to do but begin....

Daltan stepped through the arch, and disappeared into the maze.

Okay, so I'm getting REALLY ambitious in my mapping... and once again I'm doing something I've never done before, so here it goes. I'm taking part in the same challenge as Lorelei, and when I rolled up the random race/random place, I got Minotaur/ school or university.

What that means, is that I have to make a map of a school or university that was either built by minotaurs, or where minotaurs live. But legends say that minotaurs live in labyrinths, not schools or universities. But what my combination immediately brought to mind, was a labyrinth within a school or university, with a minotaur residing in the labyrinth. What kind of school or university would have such a thing? Why a magic one, of course! And why would they have such a thing? As a final test for their students... a rite of passage that graduates them from the rank of student to the rank of journeyman mage, druid, priest, what ever they are studying in this collegium.

You see, in Larysia, all of the varius paths of magic have banded together, so to speak, because magic has gone so wonky in this world. No matter what branch or path to magic you use, you must register and study/mentor with the Order of the Wand and Scroll.

Obviously, this is just the beginning stage... creating the labyrinth. More to follow!
      Collegium Arcanus_Floor 1.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2016

Is there going to be a prize for the first one of us to get out of the maze when you've finished it? Answers drawn on a duplicate image and returned to you via email?
    • CommentAuthorGathar
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2016

That's too bad, I would have loved to see a class full of boisterous minotaurs with an halfling poetry teacher trying to maintain discipline :)
    I wish you good luck in this project, I think it is quite difficult to draw an interesting labyrinth!
    lol... Gathar!

Well, I'm making most of these maps for my kingdom of Larysia, so they have to fall within that campaign setting.
    • CommentAuthorTonnichiwa
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2016

Good luck with this one Ladiestorm. It's turning out good so far.

Thanks! This labyrinth is going to take me a couple of days, then I can get to the collegium. We'll see if I can manage to get it all done in time.
    But I'm still working on it, so here is what I have so far.
      Collegium Arcanus_Floor 12.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Looking great, Storm :)

What's going around it?

Oh - and while I remember, I know I've asked you before, but where IS that grass texture from? I just can't seem to find it :(

Once I get finished with the labyrinth, there will be a collegium (a school), and a forest going up around it. As for the grass, I THINK it's a dundjinni fill, I will have to check and get back to you on that.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Its ok! I've found it! Er... I mean... EUREKA!

You have a very good memory. Its in Dundjinni/Vegetative Terrain

Well, I am going to have to put this away for a few hours. I'm getting cross eyed here! But I'm about 2/3 done with the labyrinth now.
      Collegium Arcanus_Floor 13.PNG
    • CommentAuthorjslayton
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2016 edited

That looks very nice, especially the textures. I have to admire that kind of persistence!

Another way to rough-in that sort of thing is to use a picture of a maze and apply some effects to it. In the attached example, I :

Used a PDF of a maze from http://www.mazegenerator.net/ as the base.

Applied a minimum filter in Photoshop to thicken up the lines and saved it as a PNG.

Inserted the file as an image

Added the following effects to the sheet:
    - Texture OverBlend to add texture to avoid solid black lines (my texture was a little muddy)
    - Bevel, Lighted to get edges on the things
    - Outer Glow to get a little dark halo around things to approximate ambient occlusion shadows
    - Transparency at 99% because it didn't seem to work without it (there's a bug in there somewhere).

Added a symbol in the middle of the maze for interest.

Exported the image

Resized it down in Photoshop and saved as JPG, both of which made things muddier still.

Note that adding a displace and texturize would help make things look less perfect.

This example is pretty much worst case for this kind of technique because the maze has angles in all directions. A traditional rectangular maze would be much more amenable to this sort of thing.

One of the big disadvantages of this technique is that the artwork has to remain in place for the labyrinth to appear.
      m1.jpg
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2016

That's fantastic! Unfortunately for me, I 1- don't have Photoshop, and 2- can't guarantee that there are places to put my talismans. So I pretty much have to do this on my own. :). Besides, there's something to be said for the stubborn determination it takes to draw one of these by hand!!!
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Very cool so far LS! I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Thanks Shessar!

I've already started thinking about the creatures that roam this labyrinth and guard the talismans. There are seven total talismans, one to represent each character stat, and then one to 'boost' all six. Other than the minotaur, I want each talisman to be guarded by something that sort of embodies each stat, and not everything is going to be a creature(some may be traps), not everything is going to be evil.

But I've run into a small snag. The creature I wanted guarding the talisman of intelligence(or wisdom) is a Sphinx. I don't have a Sphinx symbol. Is there anyone that has a symbol?
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2016 edited

I've seen one in a symbol set for CC3. I'll look.

I don't which set it is in but I found 6 in this one. three of which are vari-color.

Profantasy\CC3\Symbols\Cities\CD3\Vector Classic\CD3D Mediterranean.fsc

Thanks JimP, I will have to take a look!
    • CommentAuthorGathar

I've found some images of sphinx in my "Devin's token" collection. I think it is part of the free pack that you can get on http://immortalnights.com/tokensite/?product=all-free-tokens-in-one-file in pack 14, but if you like top view elements, I think the whole collection can prove very useful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

Agreed! Devin Night's awesome tokens are both beautiful and useful. He sells some great sets and has also generously made many of them available for free.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2016

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/488/boss-monster-token-set-3

There is a sphinx in this token pack on roll20

Thanks, everyone! I will check these out. Unfortunately it will have to be tomorrow, as I woke up this morning with a migraine, and all I could do was go back to bed. So I wasn't able to get online today.

I don't get them often, but when I do it's a nightmare!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I fully understand that, since I get them too. I was wondering why you were so quiet earlier today, but now I am amazed that you even managed to say anything at all. I can't even look at a screen when I've got one of those. Its just too darned bright and very painful!

Which is why went back to bed until the worst of it was gone.
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2016

Well, I have been diligently working on this. The labyrinth is filled out, and I've started to add some interesting touches. This is going to be a nasty little labyrinth (hopefully) by the time I'm done! Without further adieu... here it is!
      Collegium Arcanus_Floor 1.03.PNG

Now, just so you know... the number labels are for my own reference. Once I have everything in place, those numbers will go away. Which reminds me... Sue or Lorelei, this question is for you, because you two have about the same set up I do. I could have sworn in all of the symbols we have, that there was a symbol of a sword in a stone. I have searched for it for 3 hours, can't find it now that I want to use it. Am I losing my mind again?
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2016 edited

I just checked my files and can't find anything like that. You could play around with a png of a sword by cutting it in a jagged pattern and erasing the bottom half....do you have a PS type program? GIMP is free if not. Save the png as another name and then use that png with a nice rock image, maybe one of Bogie's, they're great...and viola. Sword in Stone :)

uhm... I am NO where near that talented! lol. I do have gimp... I've never used it, and have no idea how. I haven't gone through the tutorials yet... I've kind of been busy!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2016 edited

Sigh! Oh come on then - send me the two images you would like to use, and I will send you back the sword set in the stone ;)

Hon, I'm already on my way home. If I still haven't found it by Monday, then I will.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Ok, but don't leave it too late for me to do a decent job of the thing. I can't see one in the collection.

Mind you, Vintyri has a habit of proving me wrong when I say stuff like that :)

When's the closing date for the entry?

End of August. If I can't find it, I can use something else.for.the talisman, it's not a big thing.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I would only need a couple of hours to sort it. I was confused by Bogie's notification of the closing of one of the other Challenges tonight. (I always seem to get them all muddled up in my head.

Its not that much trouble, Storm.

That's the challenge that Black Talon Reach is in... The lite mapping challenge.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Aaaaaaah! I see now (I think)

The trouble I have with understanding how it all works is that they overlap. My poor little peanut brain can't really cope with it! LOL
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2016

Still looking for a good sphynx. Other than that, I've been progressing on this map, and it's coming along!
      Collegium Arcanus_Floor 1.06.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Oh yes, it looks much more balance compositionally now.

Can I ask what those brown areas are? And the tessellated area with the grid like pattern on the right?

are you talking about the temple and the collegium buildings? I haven't actually started the interiors yet. That will come after I get the grounds set.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Aaah. I see :)
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2016

Well, Mark managed to find a fantastic sphynx for me, so I've added a tad bit more to my labyrinth.

I did realize late last night, that because of the way the guild runs their challenges, I can only have one level to this map. Because of that, I have to add to the size of the map, and rework the main building a bit. It will actually give me a chance to do a couple of things I didn't think I was going to be able to... and it will shave some time off, if I don't have to do more than one level. But here is what i have so far... not a lot of changes, but I'm still progressing!
      Collegium Arcanus_Floor 1.062.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2016 edited

Is there any reason you can't do a split image? Two levels on one image? Or even three levels on one image?

EDIT: and I am not going to mention those Spr... PINE trees!!!
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2016

So I took Sue's excellent suggestion, and included my second floor level in this map, since I can only have one 'page' for this challenge. So I extended my map surface to include the second floor, and incidentally added room for my map key, and an extension for the druidic area as well. Of course, that also meant including the woods on the western perimeter, which I wouldn't have needed so much of without the extension!

I've also started the interior of the first floor, trying a few new techniques to make things look a little more polished(I hope!) I'm starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel!!! So we will see how this turns out!
      Collegium Arcanus_Floor 1.08.JPG

Once again, I need to appeal to the cartographers. I am lacking the last talisman guardian... a giant/great owl for the talisman of wisdom. It can be any kind... I just need one big enough to be depicted as a giant owl. I've searched for two days, and haven't found anything suitable. Anyone have any ideas?

This will be my last rendering of the day... I at least finished the temple. It's furnished, and ready for clerics, scholars, and students. I'm hoping by Friday, I will have at least the first and second floor of both towers completed. And at least the talismans placed... even if I'm still looking for that owl symbol.

Until Friday!!!
      Collegium Arcanus_Floor 1.09.JPG
    • CommentAuthorGathar

There is an owl in Devin's tokens number 6, but it has spread wings, I'm not sure this is what you want...

That isn't one of the free packs, is it? I may have to push my hubby into it. F it's one of the $5 packs, I might could convince him.
    • CommentAuthorGathar
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2016

No, no, it's free ! Pack 1-20 are all free.
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2016

So I have been diligently working, trying to get everything done before the voting starts. My temple is complete, my wizard's tower first floor is complete, I am working on the second floor. It's coming along, slowly but surely. And here is my progress!
      Collegium Arcanus_Floor 1.10.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

This is looking great, Storm :D

Are you going to have a numbered key so we can see what everything is?

Well, I'm going to have a numbered key for the labyrinth, don't know if I'm going to include everything else in it, but probably.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

It would mean that you don't have to have any names on the map, other than the numbers, which would make all the little details you've taken so much time to arrange easier to see :)
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2016

I'm continuing my collegium, I now have the wizard's tower complete,first and second level. I still have to do the sage's tower, both floors, although I have started them, and the main collegium, both floors, and I have started those as well. I have to finish the little details on the labyrinth - adding my last guardian, a few random encounters, and setting up my talismans. I then have to do the map key. So it's looking like Wednesday or Friday, and I will be finished with this!
      Collegium Arcanus_Floor 1.11.JPG