Augus 2016 Mapping Challenge: Collegium Rite of Passage (Complete)

Daltan took a deep breath, held it for a moment, and let it out slowly. He stared up at the great arch, excitement, anxiety, and no little fear coursing through his veins. The Labyrinth stood before him, silent as the grave. He looked down at the worn path leading from the collegium doors to this spot, the entrance to the maze. Every mage, wizard, priest, and druid that has ever graduated from this place has had to face this rite of passage.

His task, to retrieve the 7 talismans hidden somewhere in this labyrinth. Retrieve them and exit with the 7 talismans intact. Rumors surround this maze, all types of creatures are believed to inhabit it. A test of strength, will, and yes knowledge in the arcane. Equipped with an 'adventurers' pack, he had 7 days to complete this rite of passage and graduate from the collegium. Nothing to do but begin....

Daltan stepped through the arch, and disappeared into the maze.

Okay, so I'm getting REALLY ambitious in my mapping... and once again I'm doing something I've never done before, so here it goes. I'm taking part in the same challenge as Lorelei, and when I rolled up the random race/random place, I got Minotaur/ school or university.

What that means, is that I have to make a map of a school or university that was either built by minotaurs, or where minotaurs live. But legends say that minotaurs live in labyrinths, not schools or universities. But what my combination immediately brought to mind, was a labyrinth within a school or university, with a minotaur residing in the labyrinth. What kind of school or university would have such a thing? Why a magic one, of course! And why would they have such a thing? As a final test for their students... a rite of passage that graduates them from the rank of student to the rank of journeyman mage, druid, priest, what ever they are studying in this collegium.

You see, in Larysia, all of the varius paths of magic have banded together, so to speak, because magic has gone so wonky in this world. No matter what branch or path to magic you use, you must register and study/mentor with the Order of the Wand and Scroll.

Obviously, this is just the beginning stage... creating the labyrinth. More to follow!

Comments