"Parallel to" Command in CC3

Hello everyone. I have a question and after searching the FAQs and the forums I haven't found anything to answer it so please forgive me if it has been answered else where.

At any rate I would like to use the "Parallel to" command in the Snaps menu. When I select the command I get a message "Campaign Cartographer 3 can not perform the command: PRL." I suspect I might have an install issue with my copy of CC3 but I'm not sure. I am getting the same message for "Same X'" "Same Y," and "Tangent to."

So my question is: are these commands embedded in an add-on, may I have a problem with my install, is it an operator error or are these commands simply not supported yet by CC3?

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    "Parallel to" is not a command as such, it is a modifier. That means you need to start drawing the entity that is supposed to be parallel first.

For example you have a Line, and want to draw a Path that is parallel to it:
    - Start the Path, click your starting point.
    - now - in mid-command - choose the "Parallel to" modifier by going through the menu, or hitting F11.
    - with the pick cursor you get, click your Line.
    - move the mouse and you'll see that the cursto only moves parallel to the Line now. Click a point for your Path to get a section that is parallel to the Line.

Hope that helps!
  • 5 years later
  • Still working my way through old posts, and decided to play with the "Parallel to" modifier.

Does this work with smooth paths, or only with straight lines? Whenever I try to follow a curved path, I discover that the new line continues parallel to the orientation of the starting point of the original path. It doesn't automatically "trace" the curves of the original path. Am I missing something here or is this modifier limited to straight lines. If so, is there another command which allows the creation of parallel curved paths - or should I just be using one of the preset tools for roads/rivers, etc?
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    "Parallel To" indeed works only on straight lines. If you want to create a parallel entity to a smooth path, try Draw > Offset.
  • Thanks, Ralf.

I had actually just this minute (!) read a similar comment you made in another thread.

(Good to know you're consistent. LOL)