[WIP] a partial The Fantasy Trip world

I figured I better get a partial world started before I make too many small maps and realize I don't have a place to put them that works for all of the small maps.

Comments

• Some text and a new structure or three. Two Ziggurats, a henge, and some ruins, oh my !

Not sure if I want to keep the rivers as following the hexagon borders, or go with more natural looking rivers.
  • Looks good to me. I've always liked hex maps. My first introduction to them was from Dungeons & Dragons. I really started enjoying them more when the Gazetteer series came out for that game.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: JimPNot sure if I want to keep the rivers as following the hexagon borders, or go with more natural looking rivers.
    I prefer the more naturally looking ones. Hexes are fine, but I think having rivers following hex edges is a little bit to abstract.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited August 2016
    +1 to more natural rivers.

I like the map. There's just something about hex maps that makes me want to adventure.
  • I'm more inclined to use natural rivers as well. Some of the maps I've seen for this game use rivers that follow the hex edges.
  • rivers, fractalize at 30. The two going into the desert fade away. I'll likely redraw the desert rivers and make the lines in the desert dashed instead of solid.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited August 2016
    I had to delete part of the two rivers, add a dashed line and refractalize.
  • I love hex maps and you've done a great job on this one JimP. The font you've chosen goes well with it too. Wonderful work as always!
    edited August 2016
    Thanks.

And in a few more decades I'll be as good as you and the rest of the folks around here. :-)
    edited August 2016
    Part of a small city. I'll be making this city in parts. Probably 4, but not certain at this point. I used two of the wood bitmap fills for the map border. I didn't try to line them up vertically, etc.
  • 1 month later
  • Doom Isle. Coming ashore, the characters see only sand and cacti. As the characters approach the wooded areas, they hear off in the distance a voice singing 'cool clear water' then from another direction 'water'.
    edited October 2016
    Hmm, I did like the font you used on the overland map a few posts up better. It just seems to flow better on these types of maps, the current one is a bit harsh for such large text IMHO. As usualy, you always seems to have some interesting places on the map to adventure and a few hooks. Bet that water sounds tempting.

I hope the characters are prepared for a 40 mile trek through the desert first though. Man, I get shivers just by the thought of it, I REALLY hate sand (In real life, not on maps), and this place seems to be full of the stuff.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I think the font is just a bit large, that's all. I agree with Remy about preferring the other one you were using at the beginning of this thread.

Why is the ocean frantic?
  • No idea on the ocean name, just something I came up with. Probably rowers in longships being frantic to get away from huge sea monsters who just want to play tag.

I've been trying to locate the font, it was on my Win 8.1 laptop, but isn't on my vista computer. I have to load Mark's Norse font to.
    Posted By: JimPI've been trying to locate the font, it was on my Win 8.1 laptop, but isn't on my vista computer. I have to load Mark's Norse font to.
    I recommend having a folder on a server somewhere with all your fonts (that you use). I have a folder for that, which makes it easy to install the same fonts on all computers. If I get a new font I wish to use, it goes into that folder immediately.
    edited October 2016
    Odd... I loaded the map, and it says Calligrapher. But that doesn't look like the one on the earlier maps. I'll have to hunt for it...

oh, the 'cool clear water' song is from years ago. Its part of a chorus to a song about a lone gold prospector and his mule lost out in the desert US somewhere, and no water to be found.

'Don't listen to him Dan, he's a devil not a man', then another person sings 'cool clear water'. I think it was the Young pioneers that sang it. 'Dan' is slang for mule.
    edited October 2016
    Posted By: JimPOdd... I loaded the map, and it says Calligrapher. But that doesn't look like the one on the earlier maps. I'll have to hunt for it...
    If the correct font isn't installed in the computer, CC3 will use a replacement fonr for display. The properties will still list the actual font that is supposed to be there though.

Interesting. I haven't heard about that song before. Is this something you expect your players to recognize? (And if they don't hey are screwed :))
  • I checked the map file and it says Calligrapher on my old laptop hard drive.

Well, that is one thing my siblings and other players usually got upset about, me dropping cultural references in my games from decades ago. If they don't get it, I do explain.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Someone pointed me to dafont.com a few days ago. I don't think I will ever need to look anywhere else for an appropriate font for any job. There are literally thousands of them there :)
    edited October 2016
    Looks like I need to get my laptop working again, and look on there, from the map file loaded from it now loaded while I'm using my desktop. I looked at all 24 map files, I increment the version number as i work on maps, and say them all the same, not curved like the png shows the text.
  • Posted By: Monsen
    Posted By: JimPOdd... I loaded the map, and it says Calligrapher. But that doesn't look like the one on the earlier maps. I'll have to hunt for it...
    If the correct font isn't installed in the computer, CC3 will use a replacement fonr for display. The properties will still list the actual font that is supposed to be there though.

Interesting. I haven't heard about that song before. Is this something you expect your players to recognize? (And if they don't hey are screwed :))
    Yeah, not installed on this computer. I found it on freefonts, but I'll check dafont to.
    edited October 2016
    Okay, here it is. I got it and installed it on my vista box. Now the text shows correctly.
    That makes everything look much better. It is interesting how much effect the font can have.

hmm, maybe you should decrease the font size of Frantic Ocean, it seems to be as large as the title of the map.
  • Yeah the ocean and the isle are the same. I'll work on it later this week.

Thanks for the feedback !
  • 8 months later
  • Well, I went to work on this some more... and apparently I only made part of the city, not two parts as I remembered. Not a problem. Of course, it could somewhere on my hard drive, and I misplaced it or something.
  • JMunsonIIJMunsonII Traveler
    Makes me want to break out Ultima... :D
  • The Fantasy Trip is all hexagon maps. The sample map in the book tries to show 3 levels of tunels, but they are in B&W. There were different floor types to show the levels. I wound up highlighting them in 3 colors to tell them apart.

I have been thinking on making an Iso tunnels dungeon for the Interactive atlas. This reminded me of that idea.
  • 9 months later
    edited April 2018
    I don't think I ever made all of the above city.

Here are two maps... the first one started out as an island. I've enlarged it. Its now called 'the land'.

The second one is a continuation of the World, Part 01, in the frst post.

Gordon Bay, insyeresting place... but its much deeper than the regular ocean. Is something lurking in there ?

Tulep bay, no flowers there.

Char City, is that burning stone I smell ?

gug desert, yes, no water there. gug.

World Part 02 is unfinished. But lets take a look at it.

the tunnel. An isthmus named the tunnel ? Or is there a 50 mile long tunel under there ? Watch out for the 'urk'.

Hello ?

Anyway, narrator 2.

Kraken's Isle. Is that where the Kraken goes to read a newspaper ? Or just get a bit of sun. That much be a very large beach towel.

Troll Island may or may not have trolls on it. The long gone and never returned adventurers once upon a time said in the long ago and far away.

Wanderers ? Zarthan ? For another time.