Annuals and CC3+

So, i finally decided to purchase the CC3+ despite the map i´m creating nowadays can´t use it, mostly due it´s from an Annual.

CC3+ is great but i still miss the compability of "old" annuals. I know they´re going to be made compatible but i understand it´s not high on the list of the company, it´s been a while and we still didn´t see any Annual working with CC3+ except the Herwin Wielink’s overland style on last patch (cheers to that, i already bought the Annual including it but it´s a great new to have it now in CC3+).

That made me wonder... maybe you guys could give some priorities to the most used Annual styles and make them compatible with CC3+ so we all who bought them can start working with CC3+, and leave the least popular styles for later?

It´s just a personal opinion but been wondering and as we don´t have any clue about the Annuals upgrade scheduling.

Thanks

Comments

• Uhm, Annual issues 100 through 115 work with CC3+.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    The team must have gotten their teeth into it already then :)
  • Posted By: JimPUhm, Annual issues 100 through 115 work with CC3+.
    Yes, but that, if i am not mistaken is only back to 2015. I have Annuals from 2007-14 i would LOVE to use in CC3+. I have copied some of the symbols and bitmaps into folders i can use in CC3+, but it isn't quite the same as having the "style" map to choose from. It's another reason I tend to use CC3, although it is slower.
  • Posted By: Lorelei
    Posted By: JimPUhm, Annual issues 100 through 115 work with CC3+.
    Yes, but that, if i am not mistaken is only back to 2015. I have Annuals from 2007-14 i would LOVE to use in CC3+. I have copied some of the symbols and bitmaps into folders i can use in CC3+, but it isn't quite the same as having the "style" map to choose from. It's another reason I tend to use CC3, although it is slower.
    I'm impatient, too: I'd love to have the Mercator style compatible with cc3+. But, ProFantasy is a small shop, so we must be patient. (He wrote, drumming his fingers on the desk...)
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    Posted By: LoreleiI have copied some of the symbols and bitmaps into folders i can use in CC3+, but it isn't quite the same as having the "style" map to choose from. It's another reason I tend to use CC3, although it is slower.
    If you spend a little bit of time with the Tome of Ultimate Mapping, you can convert annual content yourself. The key things that aren't mentioned in the Tome:

1) To convert a library (FSC file), open it in CC3+, enter FFIX on the command line and save.

2) If you have macros, you have to change # to @.

3) If you've diddled with toolbars, you have to change # to @ too. One exception: the # at the beginning of a line number stays a #. Example:

#615,#Bitmaps\Icons\BTB_Structures.bmp:[Medieval Brown Beaver Tail Roof Catalogs]|SYMICONMR;SYMICONFSET;5;

has to be changed to:

#615,@Bitmaps\Icons\BTB_Structures.bmp:[Medieval Brown Beaver Tail Roof Catalogs]|SYMICONMR;SYMICONFSET;5;
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    According to a posting that Ralf did on the mailing list a while back:

"we'll be updating all the Annuals to CC3+, definitely! It will take some time, but once we're done with Cosmo 3, I'll get on it right away.

In the meantime, if you really need to use an individual issue, you can do sort of a rough update yourself:

- Find the fills and symbols for the style in your CC3 installation and copy them over to your CC3+ program data folder (not program files!)
    - do the same with the Drawtools and Templates. Open the template files one by one and do the following changes:
    1. Run FFIX from the command line (this will update all the bitmap fill styles and symbols in the template to point to the new location.
    2. Open the drawing properties and put TEXT* in the text sheet field.
    3. Open the drawing properties and in the OnOpen and OnNew macros replace all instances of # with @.
    4- Save and close the template.
    - Open all symbol catalogs for the style (FSC files) and run the FFIX command, then save them."

I would hazard a guess that the hard part of this operation is then testing to make sure that everything works as expected.
  • Has anyone started a map in CC3, then loaded it into CC3Plus ?

I was having problems with my Traveller Planey Survey 'map' and it stopped loading in CC3, but it loads fine in CC3+. I leave the map, and save my edits, in the CC3 data folders.

Has anyone used this method to try the older Annuals in CC3+ ?
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Humm gotta check if i can convert styles on CC3+. Will try next week. Thanks for the tip, and still waiting for the cc3+ conversion!
  • 3 months later
  • Any update on this? I just bought a bunch of CC3+ and I really want the content that I paid for.
  • The Annuals are extra items. 2014 through 2016 should load into CC3+.

They are bought a year at a time, if you want to buy 2015 or 2014 and use with CC3+, you get one zip file upon purchase for all 12 months. Buying 2016 now will give you links in your account to download each month. You will need the Annual's serial number, added to your account after purchase, and place it into the install program for that annual when it asks for it.
  • edited November 2016
    I'm looking at the download for the older annuals and they come with a PDF and an EXE setup program only. I own several of the older ones and they are all like this.
  • The exe program installs all 12 issues for a year. The pdf is how to use it.
  • When an annual get released the monthly issues are separate downloads. At the end of the year the separate download exe files for that year get replaced with a single installer. The PDF is a list of what that years annuals were. The single monthly issue installers eventful get removed.

Dioramas Pro needs to get converted over and the CC3+ version of Cosmo 3 is still in Beta. When Cosmo3 gets out of betasome of the annuals may get converted. A lot of the older annuals had diorama Pro stuff in them so I'm pretty sure they won't update those till that gets updated.
  • Posted By: Jay_NOLA A lot of the older annuals had diorama Pro stuff in them so I'm pretty sure they won't update those till that gets updated.
    That's handy information, thanks.
  • 2 months later
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    edited February 2017
    Posted By: jslaytonAccording to a posting that Ralf did on the mailing list a while back:

"we'll be updating all the Annuals to CC3+, definitely! It will take some time, but once we're done with Cosmo 3, I'll get on it right away.

In the meantime, if you really need to use an individual issue, you can do sort of a rough update yourself:

- Find the fills and symbols for the style in your CC3 installation and copy them over to your CC3+ program data folder (not program files!)
    - do the same with the Drawtools and Templates. Open the template files one by one and do the following changes:
    1. Run FFIX from the command line (this will update all the bitmap fill styles and symbols in the template to point to the new location.
    2. Open the drawing properties and put TEXT* in the text sheet field.
    3. Open the drawing properties and in the OnOpen and OnNew macros replace all instances of # with @.
    4- Save and close the template.
    - Open all symbol catalogs for the style (FSC files) and run the FFIX command, then save them."

I would hazard a guess that the hard part of this operation is then testing to make sure that everything works as expected.
    Sorry for bringing this back... i did all the step till the 3. I can´t find that OnOPen and OnNew macros in the drawing properties. Could anyone be so kind of helping this poor lad? Thanks in advance!

Futhermore, is there any way of "closing" a template rather than exiting the program?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Click the Map Notes button found there (or directly from the toolbar)
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    edited February 2017
    Posted By: MonsenClick the Map Notes button found there (or directly from the toolbar)
    Cheers, thanks mate!

Now doing the symbols catalogs and ... Looks like it´s working! Tomorrow will check it carefully, it´s 1:30 AM here so heading to bed.