Switching overland styles

Hello,

Me again, it's been a while ! I've been focused on writing my novel so I didn't need to draw too many maps. But now I'm back to the drawing table, with a question that's probably been asked a thousand times. I did my world map using the Mike Schley style, and I'd like to see how it would look using the Wielink style. I will obviously have to place all my symbols (mountains, forests, etc) again, but I'd like to keep my landmass shapes.

I can think of 3 ways I'd want to do that :
1. Ideally, I'd keep working in the same project and just switch the default style to Wielink, and edit my landmasses to use a Wielink landmass style, but I haven't figured out how to do that. Worse, when I tried drawing new landmasses using a Wielink style, it didn't work !
2. If I can't keep the same project, I wouldn't mind creating a new one, but then I'd need to import my old landmasses so I don't have to redo all of them. Is that even possible ?
3. Worst case, I could redo all my landmasses in a new project but I'd want to take a screenshot of my old map, put it in background of my new map so I can just draw over it to end up with the same shapes (minus the fractal random). Is there a way to temporarily set an image as background for a map ?

Thanks in advance, I hope you guys will be able to help me out !

o>
Sv.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    You can copy anything you want from an old map into a new one. But first I would recommend hiding all the sheets with things on them that you don't want to take across - the frame and border are the obvious ones, but there may be others that you really don't want to take with you. Then just use the Edit/copy menu and select all the things you want to take over to the new map, click do it, and enter 0,0 on your keyboard when you see the command prompt for an origin (this is so that you can align the paste job perfectly on your new map base).

If you then create a new HW map of exactly the same proportions as the old one, you can paste the objects by using the Edit/Paste menu, and typing 0,0 on your keyboard and pressing enter.

Everything now being pasted into a proper HW template you should now have all the expected HW drawing tools and all the other bells and whistles that go with it.

Hope that helps :)
    I forgot to say... Once you have everything transferred to your new map, you can change the attributes of any filled shapes, including your land masses, to HW by using the paintpot symbol on the left hand toolbar. I would recommend using the lower one to start with, since it deals with one object at a time. The upper one can be used to change the attributes of many object all at the same time.
  • Ok for using the Edit/Copy menu and selecting everything I want to copy, but I don't understand how you take them over to the new map. My new map would have to be in a different project, and when I switch between maps, it tells me my clipboard is empty. What am I doing wrong ?
    Once you have selected everything to copy, you need to right click the mouse and choose "do it" from the submenu. Then you are prompted to select an origin. This is when you need to type 0,0 in on your keyboard to give the clipboard an origin for the copied objects, so that it knows where to past everything in your new map.

When you use the Edit paste menu, you need to type 0,0 and Enter.

Let me know if it still doesn't work :)
    edited July 2016
    PS you don't need to close CC3 (which might be why you are losing your clipboard info). You just open the other map, or make the new one by choosing new.

The other reason its not working might be that you aren't giving the clipboard an origin. Keep a constant eye on the command line at the bottom of the map to know what its expecting you to do :)
  • I'll give it a try ... On monday when I return from my week-end :) Thanks !
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    A few additional hints here
    - Keep two windows of CC3 open, one with your existing map, one with the new template. Much easier than switching back and forth
    - You can right click the change properties button, and select the 'Change like drawtool' option. This allows you to change an entity (like a landmass) drawn in one style into another style. Do this after copying the landmass to the new template to change it to the proper style without redrawing it.
    - Make sure you do as Loopysue said about keeping an eye on the command line and selecting the origin point properly. If you don't complete the copy command properly, there won't be anything on your clipboard to paste, so that is important.
  • edited August 2016
    Thanks for posting these instructions, Loopysue and Monsen. I'd been wondering the same thing; your process works perfectly. :)

Edit: Because I actually do know which "your/you're" to use...
  • It worked perfectly. I love you guys, thank you ! I'll get to work now, will show you what I got ... When I'm done :)