[slightly OT] printing to png using a pdf printer, idea

I'm in the process of typing up over 1,000 Planey Surveys for my Traveller site. Well, not all at once.

Anyway, to type the document in Open/Libre Office Writer, export as pdf, import that into Open/Libre Office Draw, then export as png. Dealing with popups, menus, etc... takes me around 5-10 minutes per file. Absurd waste of time.

I checked in their forums and saw that at least as far back as 2010 in one and 2013 in the other, people had asked about the capability. And were told 'wrong tool'. Okay, a list of binary outputs shouldn't be a problem. Pdf and pngs are binary.

So I hunted around for a solution.

It turns out that Bullzip pdf printer, if you go into the programs menu options, on the General tab, you can print to: bmp, png, pdf, eps, jpeg, pcx, tiff, and ps.

I hope this helps someone.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I should think it will, Jim. There's been a lot of discussion about pdf printing just lately, and sooner or later someone's going to want to know just exactly how to do something like that. Thanks :)
  • You're welcome.

And I can add a text watermark ! I just noticed also, you can output different types of pngs.

2 bit black & white; grayscale, 16 color 4-bit rgb, 256 color 16bit rgb, 16million 24-bit rpg, and 32-bit rgba

I haven't checked the others, but they likely can do similar.
  • You might want to look into the command line batch options for GraphicsMagick.

I've used it quite a few times to mass convert PDF's to jpgs, then resize and other various things.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited July 2016
    I can type my stuff up in EuroOffice Writer, and print directly to png. No need for extra steps.

I don't have any pdfs to be converted. I only have 18 planet surveys done so far. I would have to type up over 1,000 documents, print to pdf, then batch process them. I just don't have the spare time to do that. I do have time to type and then print to png, upload, and link the files a few at a time.