The Same Features on Multiple Maps in CC3

I created a world in FT3, then exported to CC3+ using the multiple files option at 3 levels of zoom (65 maps total). Now if I put features like rivers or mountain ranges on one of these maps, what is the best way to have those same features (or parts of them) in the other maps (at other scales) that show that region? Is there a better way than just redrawing the river, for example, and doing my best to make sure it's the same shape and in the same location?

Comments

• I've never done anything like what you want, but can you change the size of something you're exporting?
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    The best way would be to copy the features over. Open both maps in separate instances of CC3+ and use the clipboard (ctrl-c, ctrl-v) to copy the features you need.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    I don't know how well you know the program so I thought I'd throw out this little tidbit: this is where Layers can be really handy (as opposed to Sheets, though they're not entirely unhelpful). When selecting things to copy, if you right-click there should be a "Layer" option, which lets you choose an entire Layer to copy (right-click again to get the Layers dialog box so you can pick the layer). Or, hide all layers (or sheets) except the ones with the items you want to copy.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • So it sounds like I can copy the object or objects themselves, in order to maintain the same shape of the river, road, etc. However, positioning it on the new map and resizing it, since the new map is in a different scale, has to be done manually. There's no way to make sure it's positioned at the exact same location, correct?
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    In general, the size should be correct, as CC3+ measures the real-world size of the feature in both maps. E.g. if the river is 200 miles long, it will be 200 units in both maps. An FT3 export might make this a bit trickier I guess, because of projection distortion (as the source for the map date is a true globe). But as long as the two maps are not too different in size, it should be too much of a problem.

ANd as for the location, if you can find an obvious matching point (on the grid or the coastline for example), you can use that as the reference point for both copying and pasting. That would make sure the map feature is in the same relative position.
  • Thank you, that helps quite a bit. The fact that it keeps the object in real-world size is wonderful!