Symbol issues.

I encountered a strange issue while working on my city map. I'm trying to use some different tents for my marketplace, using some Dundjinni symbols Mark goes me install. Problem is, I click on one and I sometimes get a XMPCPKAT in the command...and the symbol won't load.

I don't have any red x's, so I know they are in the right place, and I'm not sure I have the command code correctly listed(I may have too many letters). Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Comments

• I did get the letters wrong. It's as follows: Command (): XPSYCAT;

And I can't select the symbol I want..... which is strange, because I was just using them, not more than five minutes ago. I had opened another set of symbols, started to use them, but realized one if my ruins was 1) too big, and 2) the wrong one. So I erased what I had, then tried to select the new one, but got the command line instead.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    By any chance is the text "|XPSYMCAT;" (without the quotes)? If so, the symbol is marked as "is a drawtool" and it's possible that the drawtool may not be available.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    That's exactly what was happening to me the other day - exactly the same. I closed everything down and reopened the map, then everything was ok. I'd really like to know what it is, though :)
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    Posted By: jslaytonBy any chance is the text "|XPSYMCAT;" (without the quotes)? If so, the symbol is marked as "is a drawtool" and it's possible that the drawtool may not be available.
    What would cause a PNG downloaded from the Dundjinni site to be marked as a draw tool?
    The DRAWTOOL flag It's one of the flags available in the symbol information in the symbol manager. It's a checkbox with a text entry field to enter the name of the draw tool.

I asked about the exact prompt text because there is use of "|XPSYMCAT;" in only place in the system outside of a menu file: as part of placing symbols marked with the DRAWTOOL flag. The only place where that flag is set is on the symbol information and multi-symbol information dialogs.
  • I'm afraid I don't understand what any of this means. How did my symbols get defined as drawtools? More importantly, how does one fix this when it happens?
    edited July 2016
    If this is always a property of a particular symbol, then open the Symbol Manager, select the symbol, and click "Options". Down near the bottom is a checkbox labeled "Drawtool:" and a place to enter the name of a drawing tool to use with that symbol. If that checkbox is checked, try unchecking it.

Due to the way that some internal CC3+ operations are defined, ungrouping and regrouping symbols may cause some flags to be erroneously set, if I read the code correctly.

I was unclear earlier about the DRAWTOOL flag on symbols. It doesn't mean that your symbol is a drawtool, merely that it is set to use a drawtool, just as the symbol can be forced to draw on a particular sheet. It's a useful feature in context, but not so useful with the wrong context.

Note that if the flag (checkbox on the dialog) isn't set, then my statements are totally irrelevant.
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    The symbol is question is a Dundjinni symbol, just as it was downloaded from the Dundjinni website. (I know that because I downloaded it and passed it on to LadieStorm.) It's not in a catalog, just a standalone symbol. The Dundjinni folks would not have set a DRAWTOOL flag. Dundjinni has no drawing tools. I certainly did not set it, although I do know what it is. I doubt very much that LadieStorm set it, seeing that she doesn't even know what it is.

So ... this makes me wonder if this really is the problem. If so, apparently the creator of the symbol did something that created an internal digital numerical value that CC3+ interprets as a set DRAWTOOL flag.
  • Except that this has happened a couple of times, for different symbols, not just this one. And when it happens, I can't select ANY symbol in the group. The ones that caused me to make this post were CSUAC symbols that I've used 100 times before.
  • Sometimes the computer does what it pleases.
    I doubt that anyone deliberately set those flags. It was the only place in the code that I could find use of anything even broadly similar to the XPSYMCAT command, even in menu files.

Ah well, I was hoping that it was something simple.