Maps of my Novel World

First off, I want to say how wonderful this community is. Yesterday, Monsen (Remy) invested a lot of time and effort in helping me, but everyone on the forum seems really nice and helpful. So KUDOs to all of you.

Second, Loopysue's compliments gave me the confidence to share some of my recent maps. I will tell you what I do, but I tend to make things as hard as I can on myself and others, so you probably want to follow someone else's methods.

This time, I began with a 4000x3200 Schley style map. The first thing I did was create a sheet named "REGIONS" and slapped a 200mi grid up. Then I checkerboard the map into 1000x800 sections alternating pastel pink and blue. Once I had my checkerboard up, I put text up on the map where I needed certain important locations. Using the tool "draw text along a curve" was really helpful here in sketching out my landmass. Once I had all the vital locations labeled, I started to draw the landmass using the checkerboard for a guide. Using my color guide, I drew my landmass in 1000x800 chunks from the get go. The gridlines helped here to trace along an entity, but I didn't always bother using them. Someday, I plan to put on my grown-up cartographer's pants and learn how to use nodes to break, intersect, etc. but not today. Sometimes I will add the background contours to this map, but I decided to wait to do that on the smaller maps.

Next I create a new 1000x800 map, copy the northwest corner and paste it in. This is where I fill in the details. Once I detail my maps, I want to start seeing them in context, so I paste them back into a consolidated map, but I think 16 small maps merged into one may blow up my computer and the program but I am only on detail map 2, so I have still have high hopes.

And here is the finished product:

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Already much better! Good for you.

I look forward to seeing more as you progress :)
  • Kathleen Ann CoxKathleen Ann Cox Surveyor
    edited July 2016
    This is the second step of my process ... the detailed map
  • Kathleen Ann CoxKathleen Ann Cox Surveyor
    edited July 2016
    Here is a second detailed map.
  • And here is when I go back and begin consolidating my maps.
  • And here is a larger chunk of this region in an earlier version using the Wielink style.
    I'm a Herwin Wielink gal myself, so you might understand that my favourite map is the last one you uploaded. My eyesight isn't as good as it should be, however, so I'm having a little difficulty seeing the names.

It is possible to upload maps that are slightly larger if you wish, so we can all see the detail you have taken so much time to add to this map.

Are those the coloured tops of towers I see in the lower mid-west there?
  • Thanks to the help I got yesterday, I reduced the size by just saving a portion of the map as a *png
    Wow. You have been busy!

Its good to see you've got the hang of using the symbols 'off to a T', and that you clearly enjoyed doing this map. It shows. There is just one question that springs to mind almost immediately.

Are those canals you have there, running in gentle blue curves across the map?
  • Wow! These are some great looking maps! I'm partial to Herman Weilink's style myself, although I also use Mike Schley's style too.

I'm assuming the differing coloured mountains represent different regions or kingdoms? That's an interesting idea.... I really like it!

I tried to follow your method...it seems like a LOT of.extrra work....but you what? If it helps you draw amazing maps, and you are okay with his you do them, then do what works for you!
  • "Ah, some day, Uncle Lumiere, I aspire to be the brightest bulb on the chandelier."

"Ah, Kathleen, keep aspiring, keep aspiring."

My method came about because I think I get a little node happy with my mouse and go clickety-click-click-click to make my landmasses and I never got the hang of using them to break out smaller regions.

Here is the latest incarnation of my world. The needs of my story drive the shape of my map. The difference in the mountain colors on my maps are my feeble attempt of showing the general climate of the region. The north has volcanic regions and also permanent sheets of ice and frost (the bitter blue). The green mountains are located in very humid or rainy regions. I use the map(s) as a visual queue for things pertaining to my novel (climate, background history, distances, etc.), and as the map develops, it influences my story.

Right now, I keep redrawing the map because: I have writer's block; the map gives me insight into the world I am creating; and the map inspires the story (at least it will if I ever get back to writing it).

And loopysue, I am almost embarrassed to admit that those blue things are supposed to be rivers and not canals.
  • No sheet activated on the previous image. As you can see, when I put a terrain effect adjacent or on top of another, the sheet effect is messed up. Is the fix creating separate sheet effects for the terrain or is there something else I should be doing?
  • wow what a great job!

one question about it.

your world map and the two part maps are they the same file or did you make an extra file for the detailed ones?
  • To maintain consistency between the large general and small detailed maps, I will usually start with the world map and then create new files breaking out smaller areas. I am just beginning to realize that it might not be too hard to even switch styles between maps.
  • how do you break parts from your world map on a new file?

i want to do the same thing on my map. im just building the world map now and i want to make detailed maps for my islands :)
  • Posted By: WVFaeryWomanwhen I put a terrain effect adjacent or on top of another, the sheet effect is messed up. Is the fix creating separate sheet effects for the terrain or is there something else I should be doing?
    Yeah, if you have 2 adjacent/overlapping terrain features on the same sheet, they don't blend in well together and you end up with a straight, unfaded line. I work around this bug by having 2 separate sheets for my terrain features, and I just make sure 2 adjacent terrain features are never in the same sheet.
  • When it comes to breaking up maps, I think you should ask others in the community. I am pretty sure the way I do it is awkward and much harder than it has to be if you know how to use all the tools in the program. I literally draw the map in the map size chunks I eventually want (i.e. one huge landmass is actually 4, 8, 16 separate entities in my world map). Monsen and Loopysue have both been very helpful to me. You might want to open a new topic on that question (then I can lurk and try to find out how to do it easier). I think it has to do with using nodes and it is also explained in the Tome of Ultimate Mapping.
  • Svaala

Thanks. I figured that was what you had to do, but sometimes my figuring causes me to work harder than I have to.
  • one more question Faery,

for the objecitves like Mountain and trees did you use different sizes? and which size for the objectives would you give me as an advice? :)