Proper Uninstall Procedure for CC3+ ?

I think my install has become corrupt. I can no longer use the Endpoint modifier when drawing either a straight or curved path using the draw buttons.Other things seem not quite right. Ortho button sometimes stops working (I can't turn it on or off). Ortho sometimes just won't work at all. Etc, etc, etc...This is after update 7 and 8.

I want to uninstall everything related to CC3+. What is the recommended method? Should I uninstall each of the add-ons before uninstalling the main program? What registry items will be leftover after an uninstall? I want to clean everything up, so where all will I find the CC3+ registry entries? I do not want to accidentally mess with my CC3 install.

Thanks for any help/insight.

Comments

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Traveler
    I've done an uninstall reinstall before.

I did all stuff I installed add-oms first then main program. I then had to go and delete the folders, etc. that the uninstallers didn't get. Restarted and did a clean install.

For the registry entries are for CC3+

Try looking under one of the branches in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EvolutionComputing\

Make sure you don't touch the CC3 entries.

Fonts and font registry entries for them may not be uninstalled correctly or may have a problem on a reinstall. See the post I made on font problems and how to check for them
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    For a complete reinstall, make sure to delete everything in the CC3+ data folder, as most settings are loaded from there. Do make sure to keep a copy of any custom stuff you may have put there though (fill styles, symbols, draw tools)
  • Jay and Monsen, that's the info I wanted confirmed. Thanks much!
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited July 2016
    Please can you let me know if it works Shessar. I'm crashing stuff left right and centre here

All I wanted was a nice pretty medieval tower to stick on the end of my bridge as a check point :(
  • I've successfully uninstalled everything except for Character Artist 3+. It kept telling me that CC3+ wasn't installed when it still was installed. So, I'll guess that was my point of corruption and will now go into the registry to clean up what's left.

@Sue...I'll let you know how this works out when I'm done.
    Thanks, Shessar.

I'm not looking forward to having to deal with all this, since I invariably get muddled up with all these folders and things all over the place (as Vintyri can absolutely vouch for me, LOL!), but if I have to do it just to stop the whatever it is that's going wrong... then I will.
  • Well, I've just done a clean install of CC3+ and my modifiers (Endpoint, On,Etc) still do not work with straight and smooth paths when using the draw buttons. It does work for lines and fractal paths.

So my question is, did they never work in CC3+ and I just never noticed before? Does it work for other people?

I can tell I'm getting tired and cranky. Tomorrow is another day.
    I don't understand which tools you are talking about, which means I've never bothered to use them, so even if you went through all the trouble of describing them to me, and I went through all the trouble of working out what you meant and then practised using them for a few minutes, I probably wouldn't know if there was anything odd about them, or not.

You're right. Tomorrow is another day.
    Seems to me that they work fine, at least I can't identify any problems with them. Perhaps if you list the exact steps you do, I can test the same.
  • edited July 2016
    @Monsen

The steps are
    -Click the Path Button (on the right)
    -Draw 3 path segments
    -Click the Endpoint Button, the command line asks for Entity:
    -Select near the beginning of the path to create a hollow polygon.

CC3 completes the polygon then asks for the next point.
    CC3+ changes to the command line asking for the next point but does not complete the polygon. It is almost like it cannot tell that I've selected something.

Hope this makes sense.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    @ Shessar, I wonder if your menu file is corrupted. The modifiers work on my system with paths and lines when I pick them from the toolbar buttons, from the Tools>>Snaps menu or from the function keys. Is this the straight CC3+ install or do you have other menu things installed like CSUAC? I understand that they may have worked in the past, but it's possible that there might have been some corruption along that way.

@ Loopysue, According to Mike Riddle, the "chkdata dav has no pending drq" means "The ChkDav error comes up when you have an imbalance of input in a macro (too many ^D's is a common way this happens). It means that there is no data request, but data has been received." A discussion of this problem happens a few times a year, but most of the information in the archive is in reference to one or another corrupted files.
    edited July 2016
    Ah, I see, you are trying to use the modifiers on the actual path you are currently in the process of drawing. It didn't occur to me to try anything like that.
    You say you use this in CC3, but I can't get that to work in any version of CC (tested CC3+, CC3 and CC2 Pro).
    It works on the line tool, because that isn't a path, just a tool that draws a series of lines, so each is completed before the next, and on the fractal path because it actually is drawn in a similar way as lines due to the need for intermediary node processing for each node placed.
  • edited July 2016
    I've been doing this for years so that I can make a multi-poly. See this thread:HERE

Are you sayng it shouldn't work? So maybe it's my CC3 that is bugged and not CC3+? HA! That's kind of funny.
    edited July 2016
    Well, I can't speak with authority if it should work or not, but as I said, I can't reproduce it in any CC. To my mind, it makes sense that it doesn't work, because the modifier requires you to select an entity to work with, and the path you are currently working with has not yet become an entity. But if you have been using ithis, then something is definitely not completely as I perceive them.

While I cannot fix this for you unfortunately, have you considered just using a smooth polygon instead? From the thread you linked me to, it seems like that is really what you need in any case, and they should be simpler to complete since you don't need to use a modifer. The end result with the multipoly should be the same in any case.
    edited July 2016
    Posted By: jslayton...most of the information in the archive is in reference to one or another corrupted files.
    Oh great :(

I sent the same shots to Mark at about the same time. He only had about 2 seconds to answer me, but suggested that he knew what was causing the problem - which is highly probable, since he knows all the unique minutia of the changes my software went through during the beta testing. I will wait until I hear back from him in the morning before doing anything as complicated (for me) as a complete reinstall.

Thanks for taking the time to look at it for me :)
    Posted By: ShessarI've been doing this for years so that I can make a multi-poly. See this thread:HERE
    Are you sayng it shouldn't work? So maybe it's my CC3 that is bugged and not CC3+? HA! That's kind of funny.
    So it turns out that all along YOU were the one bending the rules of what should be possible (which is my normal trick), while I was the one with the corrupted files! I think that's kind of funny as well!

I hope your system is otherwise running well, now that you have taken the trouble to reinstall :)
  • In the end it's not a big deal. It's easy enough to achieve what I want.

I just checked to make sure I'm not remembering things wrong...I am and I'm not. On my current Win10 machine It does not work on either version of CC. However, on the old Win XP laptop that I haul around with me to gaming sessions and and other places, it does indeed work on CC3 as I remember.

So, I'm not crazy and my CC3+ is now working as it should. I still needed to reinstall because of the odd glitches with Ortho. It's all good. :)
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    edited July 2016
    I traced through the CC3+ code and it looks like the snap modifiers (midpoint, endpoint, and so on) only work with items already in the drawing. The path/box/polygon is constructed in a special sandbox that isn't added to the drawing until you finish it. I don't know what the CC3 code does.
  • @jslayton - Yep. That is what I'm seeing. After completing a path or smooth path, I can then use node edit to connect the path to itself.

Thanks for confirming that this is how it should work!

@LoopySue - I'm sure Mark will get you up and running again. :D
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    Posted By: jslaytons this the straight CC3+ install or do you have other menu things installed like CSUAC? I understand that they may have worked in the past, but it's possible that there might have been some corruption along that way.
    For what it's worth ... in the very first alpha rounds with Bogie's Mapping Objects. I kept Shessar's CSUAC in the universal custom toolbar (FCW32.imn) that she created and I hard coded the Bogie and Vintyri icons into FCW32.mnu, city.mnu and dungeon.mnu. Shessar's CSUAC toolbar was causing warnings for some users in that constellation.

Remy and Ralf strongly recommended that I get fcw32.imn out of the picture and use the current system, putting the custom elements (#700 series) into fcw32.mnu, city.mnu and dungeon.mnu. As one can see reading the forums, people still do have problems, but those relating to the CSUAC toolbar vanished after fce32.imn was removed.

These remarks are intended mostly for Joe but also for Shessar. Don't worry, if the rest of you don't understand them. You really don't need to. Joe and Shessar will understand them.
    And just for the record we've sorted my machine :)
  • I hear what you're saying Mark, but the funny thing is, I had no problems, at all, until I installed your toolbar. Also, the necessity to backup and copy over the .mnu files with updates is rather kludgy in my opinion. Not every user comes to the forums regularly to know when they have to backup and move files around just to do an update. I see the potential for a whole lot of confusion and hair pulling in the future.

However, If this is the direction that ProFantasy wants things to go, who am I to buck the system? I'll just let the forums speak for the issue as I think they are currently, and I'll go back to happily using the .imn for my custom menus as I always have. I'll edit the CSUAC thread to point the users to whichever thread you want it to point to so that everything is consolidated in one place. It makes sense since you are hosting the files and hopefully it will cause less confusion in the long run. Let me know how you want to handle this.

This isn't a personal attack, Mark. Not at all. The effort you've put in is commendable. I'm just not interested in changing something that has run smoothly for myself for years. I'm just another user. I make maps. Sometime with ProFantasy software, sometimes as scribbles on a Chessex Mat. I have no bones in how anything is done here, nor do I want to. I'm mostly just irritable right now because my ortho button stopped working and I have to reinstall.
    Also for the record - the particular problem that I was having wasn't related to the software, or either of the updates. It was a mistake I made a few weeks back during the Beta test. Its just a coincidence that it turned around and bit me in the bum right now! LOL.
    edited July 2016
    Posted By: ShessarI hear what you're saying Mark, but the funny thing is, I had no problems, at all, until I installed your toolbar.
    Our new toolbars and youruniversal .imn toolbar conflict. You need one or the other.
    Also, the necessity to backup and copy over the .mnu files with updates is rather kludgy in my opinion. Not every user comes to the forums regularly to know when they have to backup and move files around just to do an update. I see the potential for a whole lot of confusion and hair pulling in the future.
    I agree with you and I think everyone else does too. ProFantasy has a new update version in testing that eliminates this problem quite nicely. Consider it to be the nuisance that it is, but a temporary nuisance.
    I'll go back to happily using the .imn for my custom menus as I always have. I'll edit the CSUAC thread to point the users to whichever thread you want it to point to so that everything is consolidated in one place. It makes sense since you are hosting the files and hopefully it will cause less confusion in the long run. Let me know how you want to handle this.
    Without getting into a lot of detail, I've learned that our CSUAC distribution permit allows us to do some things that you couldn't in your CSUAC conversion, but we have to do it ourselves. We can't delegate it. I have no idea when it will be done, but I am working on a CSUAC 2.0 for CC3+ that will have multiple resolution symbols, some templates, probable DD3 integration and some CD3 integration. I won't be able to do shadow masks for CD3, because I don't have legal rights to adapt the symbols to make them work, but I can add street alignment and such. I just have to be careful that I stay legal.

What I'm doing will be installed and saved separately, so one really could keep your current conversion of the CSUAC and the new CSUAC 2.0 both on the machine, if one wanted to, without conflict. The only thing that won't work is keeping both our toolbars and your old .imn toolbar.
    This isn't a personal attack, Mark. Not at all.
    Gee golly whillikers! I'm surprised to see you write that. You and I certainly are anything but competitors!
    I'm just not interested in changing something that has run smoothly for myself for years. I'm just another user. I make maps. Sometime with ProFantasy software, sometimes as scribbles on a Chessex Mat. I have no bones in how anything is done here, nor do I want to. I'm mostly just irritable right now because my ortho button stopped working and I have to reinstall.
    The old IT philosophies "never change a running system" and "if it's not broken, don't fix it" have their value. So does improvement. For me, making the FM8 Vintyri collection and Bogie's symbols in fully compatible CC3+ packages are improvements, as would be a CSUAC package that does what a lot of us would have liked to do from the start.
  • This all sounds fantastic Mark! As you work on the CSUAC I only have one piece of advice. Be aware that there are many, many duplicate file names. I got around it by changing the symbol names in the fsc's. You may have the ability to change the file names where I did not. I'm actually happy to hand it off to you. I only ended up with it because when Cecil ask for someone to make a copy for CC3 in the early days, I was the only person to step forward. I felt responsible to keep it going after that. Like I said, let me know where and when you want me to redirect my CSUAC thread to you. I'll probably do a happy little dance when I'm done with it.

We certainly aren't competitors! I just didn't want my current personal frustration to sound like I was blaming you. I was afraid that I was sounding snippy and I didn't want to offend you. We're good. :D

I'll be curious to see what PF has in mind for the future. I have over 15 gig's of art that I have organized via my .imn menus. If the changes mean that I'll have to redo all of that, then I'll probably just use CC3+ for the ProFantasy art and us CC3 for my custom work. I'm not opposed to change, but have limited time for fun and redoing symbol catalogs and menu files is no longer something I consider fun. :D The tech world has to move on. I'm a stubborn old lady who fights change as long as I can.
    edited July 2016
    Posted By: ShessarI'll be curious to see what PF has in mind for the future. I have over 15 gig's of art that I have organized via my .imn menus.
    Changes doesn't affect you personally, continue using the .imn files if you wish. The problem with fcw32.imn is that that menu appears everywhere, no matter what menu set you have activated. This is generally not desirable, as you end up with a lot of buttons that are meaningless in the current context (like fantasy artwork when working with a Cos3 galactic map. (Even if you sometimes use something out of context, it is just a single click on the right expansion toolbar button to bring up say the DD3 menu for fantasy dungeon stuff, use the thing you want to, then return to the proper toolbar). This gets increasingly problematic the more stuff you end up putting there, while having a few things always at your fingertips is nice, having a whole plethora of stuff just gets messy.

That said, remember that the format of the .imn file is the same as for the rest of the menu files. You can easily copy a line (or a bunch of them) from fcw32.imn to dungeon.mnu, and they will continue to work as they always have, just with the exception that they are now only appearing in DD3 mode (And you can obviously copy the lines to any toolbar set you wish). I used to love putting stuff in fcw32.imn myself, but in the end, it just made things more cluttered and difficult to use.
    Interruption: You never sound snippy to me, Shessar - just human :)
    Posted By: MonsenChanges doesn't affect you personally, continue using the .imn files if you wish.
    Sorry, Remy, but I have to differ with you to a certain extent. Shessar's CSUAC menu uses the #700 series of positions. So do our versions of fcw32.mnu, city.mnu and dungeon.mnu. When both Shessar's .imn file and our .mnu files were in the CC3+ data folder, we found in beta testing that in some cases, systems crashed, and in others, some toolbars would not function. It appears that one cannot occupy the same #700 series positions in an .imn file, which always is active, and in the .mnu files, which sometimes are active, without causing a nasty conflict.
    Posted By: ShessarI have over 15 gig's of art that I have organized via my .imn menus.
    How many symbols does the custom toolbar have?
    edited July 2016
    Posted By: VintyriIt appears that one cannot occupy the same #700 series positions in an .imn file, which always is active, and in the .mnu files
    Yes, that is true. Which is basically another good reason to not use the .imn, because it will conflict will ALL toolbar sets, and not just an individual set. Basically, when a menu set is loaded, the content of the particular menu file is merged with fcw32.imn to create the end result, and any overlap between these will cause problems.

AFAIK ProFantasy doesn't have any plans on using the #700 series of buttons though, leaving that as a custom toolbar for their users, so the conflict here doesn't come from any ProFantasy plans/changes, but rather from the fact that coordinating personal changes with community packs is difficult at best (And those conflicts would be the same if these community packs used the fcw32.imn file or individual menu files). A better menu system would have been desirable here obviously, but given that this is part of the FastCAD core, changing it is rather complicated.
  • Posted By: MonsenThe problem with fcw32.imn is that that menu appears everywhere
    One persons problem is another persons joy. :D
    I'm happy to hear that I'll be able to continue on as I have been. I originally used the .mnu files. It was you who first showed me the .imn.
    Posted By: Vintyri Shessar's CSUAC menu uses the #700 series of positions.
    This is exactly why I asked if there was a way I could get Bogie's stuff without having to install your toolbar. I just knew that something would go wrong on my end...yet I did it anyway. *Sigh*
    Posted By: VintyriHow many symbols does the custom toolbar have?
    I currently have 36 buttons and three blanks for grouping. My guess is that I'm nearing my limit. Remy might know for sure but I would guess 40. I put my custom toolbar along the bottom. The sides have nowhere near that, and using the top confuses my eyes with the PF tool bars there because I use the PF icons.
    Posted By: LoopysueInterruption: You never sound snippy to me, Shessar - just human :)
    Ahhh. Thanks Sue!