CC3+ crashing when placing symbols

Well I spoke too soon. Everything within the CC3+ program seems to be working fine. However, I have a large file that contains all my symbols i have acquired over the past year on my desktop. Everytime i try to place one of those symbols in a new or existing map the program crashes. Any ideas what the problem is? I even tried to import the pngs through the symbol manager and that didn't seem to work either. I'm just batting a thousand here....

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Have you tried placing all those symbols in the user folder in the CC3 Symbols folder?

I'll get you a screen shot in a minute to show you where I mean...
  • yup tried that. i even tried importing them and creating a symbol catalog. I just cannot believe this. I've been hexed.
    I have mine in this folder, and never have a moment of trouble with any of them - home grown or not.
    L1.PNG 42.1K
  • It's ONLY the symbols. I have bitmap fills in my folder that i have imported and just used as a wall fill with no problem. Symbols only.
    I accidentally linked the entire CSUAC collection of fills to the Merelan City map, which means I have literally thousands to scroll through, but it doesn't seem to bat an eye, or strain any.

I don't, however, have that many symbols in my user file. Could it be that there's some kind of limit - when the whatever it is that loads symbols just gives up and throws its hands in the air?

How many symbols are you talking about?
  • i dont have this problem with older cc3 program and i pull from the same files. its just the cc3+ program. My files are kept on my desktop in folders in folders very neatly organized, i only import whatever is within a specific folder so there are not that many images. It doesn't matter what image it take. It brings the symbols up in the window on the left no problem, i can scroll through and choose the symbol, the second i place it on the map, CRASH.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    One thing to try is to save the file under a different name, exit CC3, start CC3, and then try opening that new file. There have been times where the drawing lists get a little wonky internally and a fresh save/exit/load fixes it. Not a lot of hope there, but it might help.
  • like i said, i've been hexed.
    Ok. That's definitely beyond my comprehension of the problem.

Sorry Lorelei!
  • I've tried it with new maps, and previous maps to no avail. It's as if the program is rejecting all other symbols but what i have installed within cc3+
    It definitely shouldn't be crashing, though. Hmmm.
  • edited July 2016
    I am using cc3 presently with this same image files and am having NO problems placing the symbols. I suspect it may have something to do with the toolbar update with cc3+? but that's just a guess
    edited July 2016
    Joe - Is there possibly a limit to how many directories the software must have to jump through to get to each of the symbol files every time the screen is refreshed, including when the symbol is placed?
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited July 2016
    I'm not jslayton, and I've never played him on TV, so I'll leave that question to him as intended (though, personally, I suspect CC3+ does not have a hard limit on the number of folders allowed in a path). On the other hand, by default, Windows has a 260 character limit for file paths (really effectively 259). However, if it wasn't causing a problem before the re-install, then it shouldn't be a factor now.

Lorelei, out of curiosity, have you tried dragging and dropping a PNG from the folder onto the map?

~Dogtag
  • Posted By: DogtagLorelei, out of curiosity, have you tried just dragging and dropping the file from the folder onto the map?

~Dogtag
    That actually seems to work sort of - meaning it doesn't crash. However I cannot resize the image. and i cannot see it until i release my mouse and it is placed, so not really convenient. but hopeful, sort of. Its just been a heck of a time ever since i started messing with things. i really should have just left everything alone and kept on working with what i had ( i was not complaining...everything seemed to be working just fine with my system before update 6).

Sorry, im snippy, but i am very frustrated with this and tired of it. I'm going back to cc3 for now until these glitches are figured out. enough. I miss my annuals anyway and need to shake of the bad juju of the last day or so. Thanks :)
  • edited July 2016
    Lorelei, do not be frustrated. I am now experiencing the exact same problem. This has just started with update 7/ install of full release of Per3.

It's not just you!
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited July 2016
    Lorelei lamented:That actually seems to work sort of - meaning it doesn't crash. However I cannot resize the image. and i cannot see it until i release my mouse and it is placed, so not really convenient. but hopeful, sort of.
    Yeah, it's not perfect and it's really just a workaround until Smart People™ devise a fix. But, once the image is on the map, you should be able to modify it normally, including moving, resizing, and copying it to other locations. When I copy a drag-n-dropped image, I see the outline of the image (the whole outline, so if it is a circle, I see the outline of the square image that holds the circle).

You may want to check the layer and sheet of the image. If it's on a frozen layer, you may not be able to select it for editing.

~Dogtag
  • Just to add to this - Like Lorelei,newly created symbol catalogs crash the program when the symbol is placed. It is not the pngs ot the location, because I already have catalogs created from these pngs that function perfectly.
    Oh my. That's a bug caused by a bad assumption in code that was just recently added. Some existing catalogs should work, but I can't say for sure which ones. And it's Friday night, of course...
  • I believe it is patch related, as I had just closed a map I was working on before I checked my email. The map in question had user symbols in it. After checking my email, I saw that an upgrade was available, so I installed it. Several minutes later, I opened the same map, no problems, until I used more of the same symbols, bam! crash! To make a long story short, uninstalled, reinstalled, fresh start, same thing!
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    edited July 2016
    @Joe Slayton, in particular:

I started looking at this with Lorelei's posting. On my main computer, I have Ralf's last beta version installed, the one offered to beta testers as file name CC3PlusUpdate7a.exe with a date of July 22, time 7:31, Explorer file size 150,072 KB. This version works beautifully, and that seems to have been the verdict of the beta group too.

So ... I was rather astounded at what I got to read above when I got up this morning. After puzzling over the events described, I downloaded the public release this morning, file name CC3PlusUpdate7.exe with a date of July 23, time 8:42, Explorer file size also 150,072 KB.

Both of these releases show Version 3.73, so the version number doesn't help.

I still have the last beta on my main machine, and it works fine. I installed the public version on my laptop, and there I have the same problems that folks are mentioning above. It appears that some bug might have creeped into things between the last beta and the release version.

A BIT MORE TESTING:

When I run the "faulty" version on the laptop with "Run As Administrator," things seem to work all right some of the time. That is: I open up with RaA one time, everything's OK. The next time, again with RaA, the problems are back. The next time with RaA, maybe it works again, etc. I'm wondering if something in the code is bumping up against Windows functions somewhere.

If, indeed, there is a difference between the last beta and the release edition (file size the same?), perhaps a rollback to the last beta might be an interim solution for those having problems.
    I have located the offending line of code and had a long discussion with it about its inappropriate behavior. I slapped it about a bit and added new code to watch over it and it has promised to behave better in future incarnations. Unfortunately, until those newer incarnations can be distributed, that old line of code is going to keep inappropriately touching memory near address 0 and having the system recoil in horror at such activities.
    edited July 2016
    Posted By: jslaytonI have located the offending line of code
    Now I'm really curious. Was this offending code line also in the final beta? If so, is the fact that it runs perfectly on my main machine a sign that I really am so saintly as a few misguided ladies on the forum here have been suggesting and I'm being blessed with a miraculous exception? If that's the case, I'll go get myself canonized while my stock is running high!
    It entered July 15. There is a long decision tree checking how the flags are set on the symbols that determines if it will crash or not. I managed to test with symbols that work just fine...
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    edited July 2016
    Here's an update that should fix this problem. Please consider this to be in beta and let me know if any problems crop up: http://aws.profantasy.com/v3plus/CC3PlusUpdate8.exe.
    Posted By: Vintyri
    Posted By: jslaytonI have located the offending line of code
    Now I'm really curious. Was this offending code line also in the final beta? If so, is the fact that it runs perfectly on my main machine a sign that I really am so saintly as a few misguided ladies on the forum here have been suggesting and I'm being blessed with a miraculous exception? If that's the case, I'll go get myself canonized while my stock is running high!
    No - I'm not having any problems either, so if you're saint Vintyri, I must be saint Loopy! (Mind you. I habitually install things RaA nowadays - just to get around any Windows 10 griping!)
    edited July 2016
    ACHTUNG!

All users of Bogie's Mapping Objects, the Vintyri Cartographic Collection and/or the CSUAC:

If you install Update 8, before you do it, make a backup of the file fcw32.mnu in (Data Folders)\ProFantasy\CC3Plus. After running Update 8, copy your backup version back into (Data Folders)\ProFantasy\CC3Plus!

Update 8 overwrites your overland toolbar, killing all of the Bogie, CSUAC and Vintyri symbols in it.
  • edited July 2016
    Thanks for working on this. I just left the boards last night in complete frustration and made a map in cc3 instead. It took longer than i have gotten used to to save, etc.(since cc3+ works sooo much better) but i had no problems and it came out great! Its a floorplan of the Inn in Mellalune. I am not posting it, as my lack of life social events shouldn't bombard the Show and Tell boards ;)

I'll test this out later on today when i return home before D&D tonight and let ya'll know how it went. It's hotter than hades out there today on the east coast and im heading to the beach.

Btw.... I ALWAYS run every program, annual, or update as administrator, so i know that isn't an issue here.

Again, thanks for your help!
    edited July 2016
    EDIT:

With apologies to Joe Slayton, I've deleted the comments I had here about purported problems that I had on my laptop with Upgrade 8. It occurred to me just this morning that I had caused those problems myself, and Update 8 had nothing to do with them. After installing Update 7 on the laptop, I made some changes to check something during the late beta testing phase with Bogies Mapping Objects. I forgot to remove those objects afterward, and they caused the problems that I mentioned, not Update 8. Removing those objects also caused the laptop to return to normal speed.

Again, apologies!
    I seem to be the only one that hasn't had any problems whatsoever, then. My system seems to be completely unaffected by any of this, even though I dutifully installed Update 7 (just so I wasn't the odd one out in the future) yesterday afternoon. Its running at the same speed as before (which is slow, anyway, because I have around fifty sheets and 4-5 effects on each of those sheets in the Merelan City map!).