How to UNDO the latest update

Ok, so i have no idea WHY this is happening, but at the moment i need it to go away. I did the latest update minutes ago and not my program is first, the program is opening and responding VERY slowly and glitchy, then at first i thought i lost my Bogie and CSUAC symbol menus but i found them...i did however, lose my Character Artist Menu and Perspectives Menu on the toolbar. This will not do. Aside from a system restore, of which i am prepared to do if necessary as i created a restore point before the update because, because, well honestly i don't know why, i usually dont but something made me do it and right now i am grateful. But is there another way to undo the update? I know this sounds naive, but as i've said before....i REALLY don't know much about computers, software, tech and lingo :)

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited July 2016
    No. The update replaces files, so it cannot simply be removed/uninstalled without breaking your installation.

I am sorry the update is causing you problems, but it does contain several important fixes, especially for perspectives), so I think you should focus on getting things working with it rather than removing it. From previous posts, you also had some other weird problems, so I believe you should really run the newest version.

The slowdown is definitely weird. I am not experiencing anything like that with the update. Have you tried restarting your computer, that clears up any hung processes. Additionally, try running the update again (select the repair option if it asks you to repair or uninstall).

(I need to go to bed now (it's 4am here), so I won't be around to answer follow-up questions unfortunately, but there should be other people here who can help, and if not, put in a tech support request, and I am sure Ralf will get back to you within a reasonable timeframe)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited July 2016
    When you install the update (or any ProFantasy product, really), there are two other things you might want to check. 1) Did you disable your antivirus for the duration of the installation, and 2) did you right-click the setup file and select "Run as Administrator"? Some AV programs have been known to cause all kinds of issues (be sure to re-enable it after you're done installing everything, though). And, in my experience, you'll encounter fewer issues if you install all PF products by using the "Run as Administrator" option.

There's no guarantee these will help (sorry), but they may be worth a shot.

Good luck!
    ~Dogtag
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    Until Ralf can chime on, here's what I usually do when such things happen (and they have more than once):

1. Be sure to temporarily disable the anti-virus program and use the "Run as Administrator" option, as Dogtag already has suggested. There have been a few times when I forgot to do that and got an installation that seemed to work perfectly but had lots of things missing when it was over.

2. Run the Update file again and pick the Repair option.

If that hasn't fixed the toolbars, go into your CC3+ data folder (not for CC3, only CC3+) and run VPToolbarFix.bat. It was installed along with Bogie's Mapping Objects. It will rewrite and correct your menus and toolbars, if there are problems in the menu-toolbar code. However, it won't help you if the toolbar-menu problem comes instead from problems in the program code.
  • ok, so i always "Run as Admin" when installing, and i did have my anti-virus program off. And....now my whole system is acting all wonky. The CC3 program itself is taking a REALLY long time to load up, which has NEVER happened. I fear i may have screwed something up somewhere. I panicked last night and did a system restore (cringe, i know) and the program says version 3.67 but the toolbars are still wrong and it still takes quite a long while to open a(it partially opens on a white screen at first) My question is, if i uninstall the program, will i have to reinstall ALL the toolbars and symbols for CSAUC and Bogie and all the annuals? This is a total mess.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Can you open CC3+ by double-clicking a small map from Windows explorer? Thinking the problem might be the map you're currently working on?

Try running CC3MenuConfig.exe from your CC3+ program data folder to get the menus back in shape. YOu can also do a repair install of the add-ons with the missing menu icons. None of that should affect your CSUAC and Bogie tools.
  • In case you didn't see in the other topics, i ended up uninstalling EVERYTHING, then set about putting it back nice and proper. After much pulling hair out and chewing my nails, Mark managed to help me and all is right and the program is running beautifully!! The Woodcut map works now and Sue's Steganograph now works, too!!!!! So, something was wrong, which is probably why the update didn't work properly and then everything else just went to crap from there. Anyway, thank you for all your suggestions and help. You guys are the best.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    And now you want to make a backup. The minimum would be to zip up the (assuming default install location) "%programdata%\ProFantasy\CC3Plus" directory and keep that copy safe somewhere. It will get all of the content like bitmaps and toolbars and so on that you can restore to get back to your current state just in case something goes wrong in the future. The program executables are stored in "%programfiles(x86)%\ProFantasy\CC3Plus" (assuming a 64-bit system), but backing up the executables won't get things like serial numbers or other install information, so backing up that directory is a bit less useful.

A real backup program will get everything, but I understand that it's a real PITA to spend that much time and space on things you might not care about.
  • see the newest topic i just posted. i spoke too soon.
  • I use an external USB hard drive, actually several of them, to back up my folders and maps. Motherboard and hard drive crashes in the past got my attention. I've replaced motherboards and hard drives, but it helps to have data to put back on the hard drives.
  • edited July 2016
    So here's my first problem with the update.....it is frozen on not responding.

Oh, I take that back. After about four minutes frozen it finally began installing. About to run it.....fingers crossed and.....success. And, mark nothing happened to my toolbars. They are there and intact. Should I not copy the fcw32.mnu back and leave well enough alone?
  • I noticed that some of the symbol sets take several seconds to load. Are you getting past that point ?

Hmm... not doing it on my install now, but under CD3, some of the roof tiles took well estimate 10 seconds to load. But its not doing that this morning.