Mellalune

Okay, so like i said my players went off in a direction i had not expected them to be in quite yet. I made this up between monday and last night in preparation for this upcoming saturday's session. Anyway, they have managed to travel, by magical means I had NOT thought to prevent, to the southern region of Forynth (the small continent my campaign takes place on). So, somewhere between Lithera's Cabin and Harpua's Tower on the border of Am-Tarsha and Arcana is the northern village of Mellalune. A trading village along the pass between the two realms and north to Hilkenithel Peaks, it will serve as a base camp of sorts for my players.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Blimey. (Loopy nearly spits coffee all over keyboard, then frowns with envy) You just... 'knocked this up'.

Its excellent.
  • edited July 2016
    Well to be fair, i didn't say how many hours i spent each night. lol. More than 1, less than 4 ;) But thank you blushes
    Ok - I'm officially... jealous!
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited July 2016
    That's a beautiful map under any circumstances, but the fact that you made it so quickly makes it all the more impressive. Brava! I almost looks like screen shot from a computer RPG, like Baldur's Gate. I particularly like the covered bridge. Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    Once I picked up my jaw, some details filtered through. Notably (okay, in fairness, barely noticeably) a few things are missing shadows.
    The horses and items in the corrals are not casting shadows. The pines/evergreens don't appear to be casting shadows. And the leafless tree near the center of town doesn't seem to be casting a shadow.

But... I'm absolutely flabbergasted at how wonderful the map is. Also, your signature themed legend is wonderful icing on the cake.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Posted By: DogtagThat's a beautiful map under any circumstances, but the fact that you made it so quickly makes it all the more impressive. Brava! I almost looks like screen shot from a computer RPG, like Baldur's Gate. I particularly like the covered bridge. Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    Aww thank you. Balder's Gate, huh? Now THAT would be cool. The bridge along with quite a few of the buildings are Bogies, then, of course in my fashion, there are a mixture of images from sets here and there. This was new....this snow thing. But, alas Forynth is like South America, in that it's colder down south, and like i said my players really threw me for a loop on this one! You have no idea how many maps i had at the ready...the campaign was going along smoothly, and then....bam! now, don't get me wrong, im not complaining...that's what makes D&D so much fun - how unpredictable it can be...but soooooo many maps just sitting there WAITING like, like...like wallflowers at a dance :( hahaha. Anyway, i get to make a whole new set of maps with a whole new challenge....snow. awesome.
  • edited July 2016
    Posted By: DogtagOnce I picked up my jaw, some details filtered through. Notably (okay, in fairness,barely noticeably) a few things are missing shadows.
    The horses and items in the corrals are not casting shadows. The pines/evergreens don't appear to be casting shadows. And the leafless tree near the center of town doesn't seem to be casting a shadow.

But... I'm absolutely flabbergasted at how wonderful the map is. Also, your signature themed legend is wonderful icing on the cake.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    Ha Eagle Eye. Well the corrals are Presets (it was way late and i had no business being up still working on a map so i got lazy) so there wouldn't be shadows within them. And the pines/evergreens were giving off a weird glow over my snow - note the thread in Sue's Merelan City - i think i have some weird glitch as some effects are not playing well with others) so i took off the shadows all together and hoped nobody would notice (ahem). But again, thanks....i fell in love with that font for this project!
    edited July 2016
    I'm sure your players won't notice, or at least won't care. I only pointed those items out in case you missed them, which you didn't — "tired," "lazy," or otherwise notwithstanding. Rock on!

Great map (yes, it's worth repeating).

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Good gracious Lorelei, you make the rest of us seem like slackers!!!! I mean, my town of Ardenvale took me three weeks to make!!!

This is absolutely gorgeous. I didn't even miss the shadows, and I LOVE snow!!! I've been looking for a reason to use the snow bitmaps, but I haven't come up with one yet.... maybe this month's challenge.

And I absolutely love that font! This is just spectacular.
  • I just put up signs that say 'Under Construction. Come back some other time.' and you draw wonderful maps. Egad.
  • edited July 2016
    Posted By: LadieStormGood gracious Lorelei, you make the rest of us seem like slackers!!!! I mean, my town of Ardenvale took me three weeks to make!!!

This is absolutely gorgeous. I didn't even miss the shadows, and I LOVE snow!!! I've been looking for a reason to use the snow bitmaps, but I haven't come up with one yet.... maybe this month's challenge.

And I absolutely love that font! This is just spectacular.
    Haha, thanks Storm, but what making that map so quickly really says is "i have no life" hahaha. But thank you for the compliments Storm and Jim!
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    edited July 2016
    Posted By: Lorelei"i have no life"
    Oh c'mon now. You have a lot of good friends here. Y 'all can even come over and visit us some time.
  • Posted By: Vintyri
    Posted By: Lorelei"i have no life"
    Oh c'mon now. You have a lot of good friends here. Y 'all can even come over and visit us some time.
    LOL. Sure, Mark, I'll just pop on over for a cuppa :)
  • GatharGathar Traveler
    edited July 2016
    Posted By: Vintyri
    I have head of LAN parties, of hackathon, are you trying to instigate a mapathon? ;)
  • GatharGathar Traveler
    If each time your players travel magically to a new place, you draw such a gorgeous map, I hope they will soon find a staff of infinite & random teleports !
    Good plan Gathar, but you shouldn't have given Lorelei any warning. She seems to draw better than ever when she's been surprised LOL
  • edited July 2016
    Ha. I think you're right, Sue. I am an ER nurse by trade, so i guess it's fair to say I work well under pressure. I didn't put ANY thought into this map, to be frank. I just sat down knowing this village is on the way towards a mountain pass, and being that one remote village that Lithera would travel to for supplies (north is away from House Drakarrin where she was exiled from), i just started.....so yeah, sometimes I work better without a plan. I am a master of chaos in the ER for sure :)
  • Posted By: GatharIf each time your players travel magically to a new place, you draw such a gorgeous map, I hope they will soon find a staff of infinite & random teleports !
    Thank you, kindly, Gathar
  • By the way Lorelei... can you please explain how you do your map borders?!? I can NEVER get mine to look that good!
  • I just make a box around my map setting the fill style to hollow. Then i change the properties of the border by playing around with the line width (it all depends on what size map im making) testing out different widths until i find i like the look of it. Then i'll change the fill style to whatever floats my boat, usually a wood pattern, and set a regular bevel as below:
  • huh... I never thought of using the hollow option! Nice, thanks! I will have to give that a try :).
    I expect it doesn't have to be hollow, since you're changing the fill later anyway. The key would be adjusting the width, I'd think.
  • Posted By: DogtagI expect it doesn't have to be hollow, since you're changing the fill later anyway. The key would be adjusting the width, I'd think.
    exactly. I just start at 5 and work my way up or down
  • So, in essence, you create a box around your map....okay, I think I can work with that :-)
  • I change the fill style to a bitmap, click on Ortho, then draw lines around the map, on the map border sheet and layer, to create map borders. Even the HighSpace bitmap fills could be used for this.
  • I've heard of the Ortho button before, but I have no idea what it does... hmmmm something to play around with, I guess :)
  • You can only move symbols, text, etc. in a horizontal or vertical line. Great for lining up text and map borders.
    edited July 2016
    Ortho = short for orthogonal. It restricts your cursor movement as Jim noted, to horizontal or vertical motion from your starting point, perpendicular to the X and Y axis.
    Isn't that strange. Orthogonal means an entirely different thing to me, because I use 3D graphic software, where orthogonal means change the view from true 3 dimensional perspective to 'flat', so that you have no vanishing points. From my point of view, ALL maps are orthogonal - even those drawn in Perspectives, because none of them have any actual vanishing points.