Harpua's Tower

Harpua, an odd, hermit wizard living in The Grins Wâld (The Border Wood) will become an ally to Lithera in times to come. His tower, in the center of the wood where a rocky waste exists, known as Allinne, holds a unique power within it. You see, Harpua is in possession of an artifact of great power, but he is unaware of just how powerful, or what it even is. What he did learn was that by embedding it into Copper Orestone (a unique stone mined in by the great Dwarven nation of Thar Boldir in Mt. Malice) into the columns of his isolated tower, he is granted power that he, as a wizard should not have. He has knowledge of arcana he has not studied, as wizards must do. It seems to come naturally to him, like a sorcerer. Greedy by nature, he chose to isolate himself from most of Arcana, to keep it secret and not share this unique piece of magic, and stay within the confines of his tower as much as he can. So, for this reason, he lives very far in the Border Wood near Am-Tarsha, near the Gwyrdd, near Lithera.....

This weeks map (s). The tower is sort of hourglass shaped, with the Copper Orestone center being the "waist". The blueish glow represents the "power" of the artifact (name unknown but it is a "perfect" geode of Copper Ore). The stairs in this tower are actually almost in the walls....i didn't want to waste map space on them after i had already settled on my rooms. So, instead i just showed the section of steps coming into each room and you are to assume the steps continue up along the walls to the next levels. The Observatory level is really just for me....no room for any battles unless i make a detailed map of the room....hmmm...which i might do now that i think about it. Anyway, I know this isn't perfect, but i'm not looking to win any awards, just make my players go "oooh and ahhhh" when they see a map. lol. But, critiques are always welcome as usual :) The images are hyperlinks, so click for higher res, larger image.

Ground Level

First Level

Second Level

Third Level

Observatory Level

Comments

• VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    Oh oh! You beat Sue to the telescope!
  • Ha ha. I hadn't realized it was a race ;) And, i did warn her i would be stealing this idea for my campaign. Thanks to Bogie for sharing the telescope images on the CG forum. If you've noticed, i've also named my floors based on that topic of conversation in the forum. lol. After all, i am american and they "should" be named first floor and up instead, but i wanted to pay homage to my european roots and the fact that Harpua is a bit of an oddity :)
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    I'm an American who's lived in Europe for the past 35 years, so I can work fine with both systems. And I doubt very much that Sue will mind. Both of you are into making great maps, not races. But an old man needs to have his fun now and then.
  • Great map and story!

I have a similar tower in my world (no CC3+ map yet) called the Tower of the Stars. It is in Sabine, the land of the Slave Masters. It is located at the most western tip of the coast atop a towering cliff and is in one of my campaigns. I may have to steel it myself sometime in the future - ha, ha!

Again, great job! ;-)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited July 2016
    Posted By: LoreleiIf you've noticed, i've also named my floors based on that topic of conversation in the forum. lol. After all, i am american and they "should" be named first floor and up instead, but i wanted to pay homage to my european roots and the fact that Harpua is a bit of an oddity :)
    LOL! I noticed that, myself, and was going to ask you about it. Ha ha ha.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Nice Job Lorelei. I think its probably better than the Observatory - a lot more... mystical and magical. Very professionally done ;)

(ASIDE TO SELF: why... when I get my fingers in a knot and spell your name wrong... does this stupid machine always try to make me call you "lobelia"!!! Grr)
  • Auto-correct is not your friend.
    edited July 2016
    Spellcheck itself is great for the dyslexic writer, but you don't want to know what is interfering sister, the autocorrect, makes me say when I'm really tired and failing to concentrate! LOL

Lorelei, why haven't you posted these on CG? They look magnificent. Don't mind me - I'm completely bogged down with river systems and thousand foot cliffs over on the city project, and I'm sure Bogie will be pleased to see more than one person appreciating his sharing the telescope. Its not as if he gave it to me, exactly, just that he put it on my thread as being maybe the most appropriate place to share it at the time :)

EDIT: more typo's!
  • edited July 2016
    Posted By: Loopysue
    Lorelei, why haven't you posted these on CG? They look magnificent. Don't mind me - I'm completely bogged down with river systems and thousand foot cliffs over on the city project, and I'm sure Bogie will be pleased to see more than one person appreciating his sharing the telescope. Its not as if he gave it to me, exactly, just that he put it on my thread as being maybe the most appropriate place to share it at the time :)

EDIT: more typo's!
    Honestly? As you've noticed i put a disclaimer on my maps on the CG. I've found my maps elsewhere on the internet taken from CG. In particular this Carl Bartoli from RPG Battlemap Emporium tends to troll the site and take maps from in to put on his free Facebook page for the taking some with some without artists credit. YOUR Observatory Map is on this page (without giving you credit) for your work. So, since i found MANY of my maps on his site I have been putting that disclaimer. With Lithera's Cabin he contacted me as requested and asked if he could use my map, but i requested he include my website.....with that he has chosen to NOT put it on his site, therefore unwilling to allow me to advertise my work. So....he is interested in getting free maps out to people but not sharing the artists websites? Um.....NOT posting there anymore. That site is trolled by far too many people looking to steal other's work!!!! Listen, not that my maps are that great, but i HAVE sold several of them to fellow RPG players and am currently working on some maps for another RPG Module to be sold again on the Wizards of the Coast DM Guild and would prefer my hard work not be free for the taking. Just my opinion. It is a great site for resources and critiques from some really talented cartographers and artists, but not my cup of tea. I'd prefer to share here, where most of my work is safe from poachers :)

Signed,

Lobelia (hahahahaha)
    edited July 2016
    Well, Lorelei, my little blue flower... I can understand you feeling angry about the theft, because others are making money on your back (or so I would interpret what you say).

I don't have an FB page so I can't go and see what you mean. I did once, but deleted it because I didn't have time for such stuff, and to be honest I hadn't thought that any of what I did would be of any use whatsoever to a game master!

I really don't know whether to feel angry, or just laugh at the idiot. If I was vain, I suppose I could even be flattered... since I wasn't intending to make money out of them in the first place, but if he is, despite my wishes for the work... then I hope he buys too many sweets with it and his teeth all rot and fall out, because its already far too late, and I don't intend to waste any time having a battle with FB over the whole thing! LOL

(The rotting teeth bit? My way of joking through the nasty stuff of life - don't worry!)

I think I shall go there now and put up an explanation as to why I have no intention of posting the finished article there. I think it will only ever appear here again in the future, and always even then with a copyright notice, just in case our not so nice friend, Carl Bartoli (probably not his real name), decides to wheedle his way into this community as well.

Thanks for letting us know, Lorelei.

EDIT: All done now ;) There was no point in shutting the stable door after the horse had already bolted for all the finished maps I already have on view there, but no one will be profiting from any more of my gift to the world (such as it is) from now on.
  • Well to be clear I don't think he was making money on my maps..... At least I don't think so. But....if I can then why would I want them pasted all over a "get maps for free" webpage? I guess I'm just a bit protective of my work. I mean Bogie's name is synonymous with great battle maps so his maps are immediately recognized as his.....who is this nobody Lorelei?? Lol.
    edited July 2016
    Oh... I don't think your such a nobody. Its nobodys like me who don't even have their own FB page or website that are the real nobodys around here! LOL

But I kind of like being a nobody. I'm going to have to publish under a pseudonym anyway and stay being a nobody - my real name is so very similar to a mutual friend of ours that you could easily be forgiven for mistaking the two names as being the same if you only have the first name initials to go by :)

There is also another reason I don't particularly want the more detailed maps to be 'released' without any acknowledgement just yet, and that's because I don't want anyone stealing the show on the novel - somehow managing to guess large tracts of the plot, and then writing and publishing an 'original' work of their own before I can manage to get there under my own steam - at which point of course, my own writing becomes a form of plagiarism on their work, even though the idea was entirely all mine in the first place... if you see what I mean.
  • A rare moment of Internet out here in the boondocks...and one who has been a victim of plagiarism, and is also a writer, it's not cool that this guy, and others, feels he can just download anything he finds and use it however he chooses.

I mean...Mark asked me to make the maps I have for Bogie's symbols...in my mind he commissioned me to do it....but he STILL checked with me before he actually used them. Hasn't anyone informed the guild what thus guy is doing?
    edited July 2016
    I haven't named him because although I have no reason to doubt Lorelei's word on the matter I have no way of seeing the map being used this way for myself, and therefore no actual evidence as seen by my own eyes.

I have however put a message at the end of each of my threads on CG about this kind of thing, and within five minutes received an answer and offer of help from one of the Community Leaders - posted on the Ethran thread in finished maps.

The fear hat I will end up having to pay a heavy price for 'plagiarising' my own idea back off someone else, is entirely my own, since in the end all the maps put together (particularly the Errispa expedition map) may spark another writer's imagination to write such a similar story that I would never be able to publish my own.

I still have painful memories of burning the first script I ever wrote on the compost bonfire when I was just 13 years old, because it was paralleled by a drama on TV at that time. And I had to do it, even though it was finished before I was even aware of the drama.
    edited July 2016
    Lorelei replied:Honestly? As you've noticed i put a disclaimer on my maps on the CG. I've found my maps elsewhere on the internet taken from CG. In particular this Carl Bartoli from RPG Battlemap Emporium tends to troll the site and take maps from in to put on his free Facebook page for the taking some with some without artists credit... Listen, not that my maps are that great, but i HAVE sold several of them to fellow RPG players and am currently working on some maps for another RPG Module to be sold again on the Wizards of the Coast DM Guild and would prefer my hard work not be free for the taking.
    First, let me say, congratulations on selling some of your maps. That's huge, and well-deserved. *doffs cap*

Second, I'm sorry to hear your maps have been "poached." I hope he stops doing so now that you've made your position clear.

Again, though, congrats on your sales! That's awesome.
    Loopysue added:I think I shall go there now and put up an explanation as to why I have no intention of posting the finished article there. I think it will only ever appear here again in the future...
    If so, may I humbly recommend you leave out the part where you'll be posting here? Just a suggestion. ;-)

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    Posted By: Dogtag
    Loopysueadded:I think I shall go there now and put up an explanation as to why I have no intention of posting the finished article there. I think it will only ever appear here again in the future...
    If so, may I humbly recommend you leave out the part where you'll be posting here? Just a suggestion.;-)
    Its already done, and of course I haven't, or he, and others like him, would only need to buy CC3+ and pretend to be a newbie to get what they wanted from this site ;)

Lorelei - belated congratulations on the sale of your maps. I'm sorry. I was all in a steam about what had been done to my own Observatory map to think of anything else right then :(
  • First, congratulations Lorelei!!!

On the business of this guy taking our maps.... have you ever seen any of mine on his page?
  • I'm actually driving so I can't respond properly when I get home I will give you the new link to the Facebook page lady storm you have maps on his site!!! It's RPG Battlemap Emporium on FB
    Better still, do you have a link to his page so we can all have a look and pick out our work from his little... 'collection' of stolen goodies?

I wouldn't be able to see it myself, but most other folk are on FB (I think) :)
    edited July 2016
    Rats - I'm doing that speaking at the same time as everyone else thing again! LOL

Aside to self: What on Earth kind of half decent "battle" can you have on map of a rather to 'nice' observatory, without even a single spider web to its name - never mind any trolls and goblins!

Does not compute!
  • https://www.facebook.com/groups/1510397315867964/

This is the FB link....you can clearly see LoopySue's Observatory map and further down i did see and unfinished version of LadieStorm's castle. I'm sure if you continue to scroll downward anything you've posted on the CG he seems to be poaching.
    edited July 2016
    Posted By: LoopysueWhat on Earth kind of half decent "battle" can you have on map of a rather to 'nice' observatory, without even a single spider web to its name - never mind any trolls and goblins!
    A pretty darn good one, actually. All kinds of twists and turns, obstacles, and improvised weapons/shields, all against an amazing backdrop. Imagine the villain planning a magic spell or curse of vast destruction that must coincide exactly with some planetary or lunar alignment. So the heroes battle their way to the top through traps, minions, and lieutenants in a race against time. And then, a grand final battle royale around a giant, movable, telescope.

DM 101. image

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    edited July 2016
    Try this one Ladiestorm. That's where my observatory was, bold as brass - Carl Bartoli, apparently, is the artist!!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1510397315867964/
    Dogtag! Will you stop ninja-ing me!!! ROFL!
  • Posted By: Dogtag
    Posted By: LoopysueWhat on Earth kind of half decent "battle" can you have on map of a rather to 'nice' observatory, without even a single spider web to its name - never mind any trolls and goblins!
    A pretty darn good one, actually. All kinds of twists and turns, obstacles, and improvised weapons/shields, all against an amazing backdrop. Imagine the villain planning a magic spell or curse of vast destruction that must coincide exactly with some planetary or lunar alignment. So the heroes battle their way to the top through traps, minions, and lieutenants in a race against time. And then, a grand final battle royale around a giant, movable, telescope.

DM 101.image

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    Brilliantly put :) Hey Loop, quite a few of my maps look "too nice" to kill in :)
    If it helps, my first floor is no longer visible on his site, and that's purely a coincidence of the fact that I changed the file name when I uploaded a watermarked copy to CG, which apparently DESTROYS the link

Ha-ha!
    edited July 2016
    Lorelei knowingly jested:...quite a few of my maps look "too nice" to kill in :)
    And those are the best places to do it, ammiright?
    And now its Lorelei's turn to ninja me :)

I'm going to change the other two he's stolen from me in and hour and a half's time. I'm only leaving it that long because I want the Guild to have a chance to look at the situation with the evidence in place. Robbie's been informed.
  • Posted By: Dogtag
    Loreleiknowingly jested:...quite a few of my maps look "too nice" to kill in :)
    And those are the best places to do it, ammiright?
    heck yeah....that's when the worst battles can happen.....when you're players see the map and think "well this won't be too bad....what could go wrong in a lovely library" well, that's when someone opens a book, which turns out to be a prison and out comes a Nothic or an Illithid along with some Dust Mephits for good measure to wipe out the unsuspecting party.....mwhwhahhaaaaaaa (maniacal evil laugh)
    Honestly! I haven't the faintest idea what your talking about, but I see your point. LOL