Trouble installing add-ons with CC3+

Hey all,

I'm using a Windows 10 machine and just bought the standard bundle with CC3+, DD3, and CD3.

CC3+ installed just fine, but when I tried to install DD3 it gave me a couple errors (codes 2343 and -11). CD3 appeared to install, but I had to point it to CC3+'s install location and even then it gave me a bunch of "procedure entry point" errors when I tried to run it.

Poking around on these forums I determined that the problem is most likely that Setup couldn't identify the installation path for CC3+ (even though the associated program update ran and installed just fine). I found a few posts saying to install the program somewhere other than Program Files, but that doesn't seem to be an option with the installer; I can specify my program data folder, but that's it.

Thinking I might have better luck if I started with CC3 standard, I uninstalled everything and installed CC3, pointing it to a custom directory, then installed CC3+ hoping it would put the program in the same folder as CC3 (it didn't). I was then able to install DD3 with no issues but, unsurprisingly, the add-on doesn't show up in CC3+ (though it shows up just fine in CC3).

So... can anyone give me some guidance here? Am I doing something wrong? Is this a known issue? I found a couple very old posts from people who seemed to have had the same problem, but in their cases it was apparently fixed with a simple update. No such luck for me, unfortunately, and I downloaded the installer and updates directly from my registration page on the site.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited July 2016
    Hi Kathrite. Welcome to CC3 and the ProFantasy forums.

CC3 and CC3+ are two separate programs. While CC3+ is, indeed, the next version of CC3 it has been re-written and re-configured to work better with recent versions of Windows (post-Windows XP). To that end, CC3+ takes advantage of the different directory structure used by recent versions and uses a different install path than CC3. Both programs install in separate locations and can live simultaneously on your computer. That also means that CC3+ does not install over CC3, as you've discovered.

Additionally, each add-on is being updated to work with the different installation paths for CC3+ so there are two versions of the add-ons (DD3, CD3, and CA3 so far). It's important to install the correct version of the add-on, for CC3 or for CC3+.

After installing either program, but especially CC3+, you should run the program once so it can create any additional pathing information for Windows. Then install the add-ons. Then install the latest update for the program. As I write this, I think they are Update 11 for CC3 and Update 6 for CC3+. The updates are available on your download page.

Two other things always help me when installing ProFantasy software. 1) Temporarily disable any antivirus software you're using (don't forget to re-enable it when you're all done), and 2) when you run each setup program, do so by right-clicking the icon and selecting "Run as Administrator" from the pop-up menu.

I hope that helps,
    ~Dogtag
  • Ah ha... how did I miss that each add-on had separate installers for CC3 and CC3+? That explains so much - thanks!

And it's down the rabbit hole I go...

-Kathrite