Lithera's Cabin in The Gwyrdd

After Saturday D&D Project: So, my players threw me for a loop (as usual) and i think i just found a new plot twist in my campaign. So i needed a cabin scene of an exiled half elf. I started it after D&D but we ran late and I got tired. So i finished it up today. And now...the sun FINALLY came out, so im going to catch some. Enjoy :)

Lithera's Cabin lies in the small copse known as The Gwyrdd. It lies at the foot of the Hilkenithel Peaks separating Am-Tarsha, the realm of elves, and Arcana, the mysterious land of the occult. Lithera was exiled from Novius, the city of House Drakarrin, when her half human heritage was discovered. Her son rarely visits and her husband annulled their marriage; Lithera lives a quiet and modest life far off beneath the shadow of a land the elves preferred didn't exist.

Edited as per my comments below

Comments

• Hmmm. Fascinating cabin. The woods look creepy.
  • Posted By: JimPHmmm. Fascinating cabin. The woods look creepy.
    It's the weeping willows...they've really got a creepy, foreboding look, don't they? I wish i used a few more. I think i'll play around a bit more. And i might add a bunch of tree stumps in the cleared area around the cabin.
  • Hmm... what about some twisted limbs growing out of one stump ? Say, on a side where there aren't any windows. Or back away from the clearing ?
  • edited July 2016
    Posted By: JimPHmm... what about some twisted limbs growing out of one stump ? Say, on a side where there aren't any windows. Or back away from the clearing ?

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited July 2016
    That's a beautiful, if haunting, map. I think it wonderfully, if sadly, captures the isolation of the occupant. I really like the layout of the overall map, much like a photograph using the ol' rule of thirds. The pond or stream in the upper right is masterfully done.

If I were to offer any critical thoughts, I'd say that some of the light "effects" from the windows (particularly the "south") and the fireplaces seem a little harsh to me, but they don't diminish my admiration for such a wonderful, detailed map.

And I especially like your border, map title, and scale bar. *doffs cap*

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Beautiful map, and I love the landscape. Those are great tree symbols. It all hints at dark secrets, sadness, and maybe evil.
  • edited July 2016
    Posted By: DogtagIf I were to offer any critical thoughts, I'd say that some of the light "effects" from the windows (particularly the "south") and the fireplaces seem a little harsh to me, but they don't diminish my admiration for such a wonderful, detailed map.
    I completely agree. The lighting on the fireplace is part of the symbol. I think i need to replace it altogether. The lighting in the window has to go for sure. The more i look at it the more i HATE it being there. Thank you, as usual to you for your helpful comments and critiques :) So I have made a few changes I hope you like.

Thanks Barliman, i'm glad my map is conveying exactly the plot twist that this map inspired!

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Its great as it is, Lorelei... but how about a few sad scratches in the earth outside the cabin where the trees have been felled as if Lithera has tried but failed to make herself a vegetable patch... unless this just isn't the done thing in such maps?

Another idea I had after staring at it for quite a while was to play with the colour/saturation/hue of the earth just a teeny bit to bring up the overall contrast just a very tiny fraction between that and the trees?
    edited July 2016
    Yes. Personally, I like this version without that window light better than the previous one. And now the other light sources also look much better; they don't seem as harsh to me, or did you edit those too?

Gorgeous map.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Ah.

Dogtag, bless the man, has just discreetly pointed out to me that you already have a vegetable patch. Sorry Lorelei! I missed it right up there at the top of the map! I was looking for it south of the cabin for some reason.

Still, it is only 5.42 am right here, so I hope to be forgiven :-)
  • Thanks Dogtag! Appreciate the compliments. So, I changed out the fireplace with a smaller, more subtle glow, and removed the window glow in both front room windows. The candle glow i left alone since removing the other light sources seemed to do the trick! Again, thanks for suggestions!
  • Lorelei, this is absolutely beautiful! And sad, and creepy, and extremely lonely.... And shame on her husband and son!
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    I'd really like to look at the new version in somewhat larger format. But Microsoft is demanding that I create a password-protected account to do so. Not by the hair of their chinny-chin-chins!
    Posted By: VintyriI'd really like to look at the new version in somewhat larger format. But Microsoft is demanding that I create a password-protected account to do so. Not by the hair of their chinny-chin-chins!
    Hm, that's interesting. Happily, it doesn't do that for me. I can just click the thumbnail here and view it on the OneDrive site without creating an account. Weird.
    Lorelei, I just noticed (not sure how I missed this before), but your doors don't seem to be casting wall shadows. When the doors are closed, they should probably cast the same shadow as their associated wall.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Posted By: VintyriI'd really like to look at the new version in somewhat larger format. But Microsoft is demanding that I create a password-protected account to do so. Not by the hair of their chinny-chin-chins!
    I'll post this on the Cartographer's Guild site in a few minutes so you can see a larger image, as i am unsure how to get a hyperlink to my dropbox account.
    Posted By: DogtagLorelei, I just noticed (not sure how I missed this before), but your doors don't seem to be casting wall shadows. When the doors are closed, they should probably cast the same shadow as their associated wall.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    Ahhh....that's because i was having some trouble with the symbols at first and just inserted them. I'll fix that up. Good looking out, Eagle Eye :)
  • Posted By: LadieStormLorelei, this is absolutely beautiful! And sad, and creepy, and extremely lonely.... And shame on her husband and son!
    Thanks Storm. Poor Lithera. She has an interesting backstory, that one. But do not worry, she will not be sad and lonely for long.....mwhahahaaaaaaa
  • lol.... gotta love plot twists!
  • Posted By: Dogtag
    Posted By: VintyriI'd really like to look at the new version in somewhat larger format. But Microsoft is demanding that I create a password-protected account to do so. Not by the hair of their chinny-chin-chins!
    Hm, that's interesting. Happily, it doesn't do that for me. I can just click the thumbnail here and view it on the OneDrive site without creating an account. Weird.
    I can host it for you. My new Crestar maps are typically 1200 pixels wide. If you have larger maps, thats okay. I was using 620x480... and smaller.