First go at a floorplan

So this is my first non-tutorial attempt at a map. It is pretty simple (but it still took me all day, lol).
It is the terrace and first floor of a temple set into the side of a mountain in a jungle valley
I used Shessars' excellent tutorial for the stream.
On a side note, does anyone have some stairs similar to the one's on the right, but without the arrow?

Comments

• That's pretty darned good for a first original try. Really well done. My only suggestion is that the steps on the left leading to the terrace look awfully steep, as if one has to make quite a climb from the path. Not sure how to fix that, though.
  • I hadn't noticed that, but I see what you mean.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Agreed, this looks very nice. Does the stream flow under the steps and the temple? Also, I notice there are no shadows from the stairs onto the grounds outside. You may want to consider adding some. To me, it gives the impression that the steps and terrace are elevated far enough above the ground that the shadow is obscured.

I know your focus was the temple but I should say that I also like the stream you made using Shessar's tutorial, and the area around the temple. The temple itself is very neat and orderly. What are the pools for out on the terrace? That's a nice touch. The mountain is also a nice effect.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • This is very nicely done! I agree with Dogtag that shadows would be a good idea, to help with sizing. Another thing that might help is slightly decreasing the size of your stairs.

As someone else that has used Shessar's stream tutorial, your stream looks fantastic!
  • Thanks everyone for the comments. After Barliman's initial comment, I got to looking closely at the steps (and the terrace) and noticed the lack of shadows as well - I will be fixing that. Yes, the intention is that the stairs span the stream and it flows under them, hopefully the shadow will help that as well.
  • edited July 2016
    Added some directional shadowing to the terrace and stairs - subtle, but I think it helps.
  • Wonderful! I'm glad my tutorial is proving to be useful.

This thread may have some useful bits for stair symbols.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Posted By: robotrockAdded some directional shadowing to the terrace and stairs - subtle, but I think it helps.
    It does, indeed! Looks really good.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag