Fractal Terrain - Rotate Map

Hi All,

I just started using Fractal Terrain and I love it! However, I have a map that I like for a tabletop game I'm running, but I'd like to rotate the map 90 degrees. Is that possible?

Thanks!

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited June 2016
    Hi Higgonus

How are you exporting it for the game? Is it going to be a png image, or something else? OOPS - I'm interrupting the man who knows... Sorry Jim, we responded within 7 seconds of each other!
  • Export the map as a png or bmp. Load it into Irfanview, rotate left by pressing the L key or to the rght by prressing the R key.

Save the map to a new filename. Done.
  • edited June 2016
    Thanks for your quick responses!

Loopysue, I think I'll export to a PNG. However, I was hoping to rotate within Fractal Terrains so that I can export portions of the map to CC3+ for more detailed portions of the world (cities, etc). Is that

JimP, thanks I'll look into it.

Thanks,
    Hey, Jim? Are you still there? Are we each waiting for the other to say something... (Now that would be really funny). I'm sorry I interrupted you. Please continue. I promise I'll wait :-)
  • Okay. I don't know of a way to rotate maps in FT3. There might be a way though.
    I don't know a way of doing it either, but I wonder...

If you were to export a map to CC3, would it not be possible to copy the landmass and paste it into a brand new file, using the same manoeuvre to rotate it at the same time?
    Sorry - had to answer a call.

If you export to a CC3 file, open the file and 'explode' the landmass (right click the Fractalise button to see the explode command) so that the islands are separated from each other, you can delete all the bits you don't want in your finished map.

Then you can copy your chosen island, and use CTRL+SHIFT to rotate it as you paste.

Does that do the trick for you?
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    There isn't any native way to rotate a world in FT. Technically, there is, but it involves you picking a particular map projection and editing the map projection definition file to make a new projection that includes a rotation component. An example for a rotated equirectangular projection would be:

Projection 94, "90 Rotated Equirectangular"
    Extent -3.14159265, 1.57079633, 3.14159265, -1.57079633
    Scale 1.0
    Description "Demonstration of rotated standard projection"
    Segment "Equirectangular", 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0
    Rotate 90
    EndSegment
    EndProjection

Add this to the end of your Projection.txt file and you will have a rotated view of the world.

There may be directional issues with editing the world in FT in this projection, especially with the crater brush.
  • Thanks all! I'll try these out!