CC3 viewer Cosmographer 3 and sharing files

Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out whether my players will be able to view my FCW file that I created with Cosmographer 3.
The file was tiny
The viewer says it has all the standard symbols but then when listing collections parses out DD2 and some of the Symbol sets. Is that because cosmographer isn't included yet?

Is there a relatively easy way to save the symbols used with the map with the map so that I can upload the file and they can view them in the viewer.

Completely random aside does anyone know how to make a decent ringed planet? My Saturn looks like someone dropped a glass of water on it.

Comments

• save as a png file.Ctrl-A in CC3/CC3+ Everything gets saved in the map. If you have parts you don't want them to see, like secret doors, those will have to be hidden.

So two maps. 1 for all detail, and 1 for hidden things for the player characters to discover.

You might look around at virtual table tops. Some of them can do 'fog of war' and hide/unhide parts of the map.
  • Thanks for the answer.
    Does saving as a PNG somehow work differently with the CC3 viewer? I'm hoping to make a campaign map including sub maps and links and the ability to zoom in. I saved it as a BMP so that people who don't want to use the viewer don't have to.
  • Any browser should b able to display a png file. You wont need the viewer.

Note that I've never gamed online, so I don't know what effect this will have. There are some folks in these forums who use rolld20 and maptool.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Unfortunately, the viewer doesn't have the artwork for Cos3 available, so users of the viewer cannot view maps utilizing Cos3 resources. Exporting to an image file is your only option here. But follow JimP's advice, and use a .png, it is the same quality as a .bmp, and way smaller.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited June 2016
    I've also had good success with exporting to JPG. While JPG is a "lossy" format, I really seldom have any issues with blurriness or artifacts in the finished map unless you zoom in further than intended. Depending on the map, JPG can be significantly smaller or, actually, even bigger than a PNG. You may want to experiment with both. But if size isn't an issue, PNG is the way to go.

As Jim and Monsen said, the result is a simple image file that your players can view in any browser without the need for additional utilities. The downside, however, is that you won't be able to link directly from one map to the next with just an image. However, as Jim said, there are a multitude of virtual tabletop tools out there and some of them let you link maps. Check out this thread for more information.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Thanks for all your comments. I guess I don't find the viewer particularly useful if CC3 doesn't allow you to save a viewable file.

I suspect most players are only going to read the image anyway so I'll stop fiddling with the viewer and just use an image.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited June 2016
    Allyn convinced me to go with png as jpg is lossy. Took me a while to convert all of my old maps, previous web site, but they do look better.