Roads!

Hello all.

I have been playing around with CC3 for a bit now. I have figured out how to use the sheets some what for effects. I can not however figure out two things when it comes to roads. I am trying to figure out how to they made the road leading to the little town dark brown, and the road by the inn how its split like that?
I can draw a road and have my effects apply to it. However if I change the color of the road the effects go away and the road leading away is no longer attached, its just laying over the top of the road.

So I am looking ho to change the color and how to attach the road so it looks right.

Thanks all!

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited June 2016
    Hello Ansio

Its very difficult to see exactly how the brown road joins onto the fawn road on the picture, but I might be able to help you with the three way split.

The first image is a very quick simulation (its very crudely drawn and things don't quite match up)

In the second screen shot I have changed the colour of all the respective bits of road I had to draw to make that shape, just so you can see what you need to draw.

The third is a screen shot of the Edit menu, showing where you can find the change properties function to change the properties of the roads you have drawn.
    edited June 2016
    I am sure that you will take much more care when you draw the road junction than I did, and that it will look far better than mine when you've done it. As for the brown road - if you could show me a sharper image I might be able to say a bit more.
    edited June 2016
    I think I may have it, Ansio.

Here is a picture of a similar drawing, and the drawing file itself is attached for you (even though its a really massive island blob with a tiny junction somewhere in the middle of it all).

If you set up a glow effect on the ROADS sheet, so there is a narrow band of a dark inner glow at the edges of the road, the narrower roads go completely dark because the glow meets itself in the middle. It helps if you have set your road colour to something fairly light first, though.

I hope that answers your question, but if it doesn't, don't be afraid to say so, and ask for more help. I am only a relative beginner myself, and have learned most of these tricks by trial and error. There are likely to be quite a few others on the forum who have better (less fiddly) methods for doing the same thing.
  • Thanks Loopysue. I will play around with this today and try it out. Looks good to me.
  • That worked! The inner glow and the curved roads both. Thanks again! I am not sure why I didn't think of the curved road. My mind was stuck on looking for some kind of "connect" tool. lol
    edited June 2016
    Maybe I'm just about loopy enough to think about things differently to other people... or maybe it was just that I never thought of a connect tool because I wouldn't know one if I tripped over it. lol.

Just an idea, but you might want to tone down that green outer glow a bit to stop the road looking like its floating above the land... or maybe not. Its hard to tell. I definitely see things differently to other people, but that's just the way my brain is wired. It quite possibly looks fine to everyone else.

Enjoy your mapping :-)
    No. The green glow is fine. It just clicked back again to looking like a verge.

(I have Asperger's syndrome, and my visual cortex is super-wired... and definitely rather deviant - hence "loopy")