CC3+ Character Artist 3 download: many bad files

Hello.

I downloaded the Character Artist 3 installation for CC3+. After the download is complete, when I try to unzip the files I get many errors that state "An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem. Error 0x80004005: Unspecified error"

There are too many files from the zip that throw this error for me to list them all, but here are the first few in case it is helpful to anyone: "Shield Tower Bone c L2 vari-01_VH.png", "Pouch 2 vari_02_VH.png", "Legs vari_01_VH.png", "Mail L2 vari_02_VH.png", "Tabard b 2 vari_02_LO.png", "Tabard b 2 vari_02_VH.png", "Pauldron R2_VH.png", "Plate vari_01_VH.png", "Studded Leather Thighs_VH.png", "Leather Pauldron R3 vari_02_HI.png", "Partisan_VH.png", "Wizard Robe w Stars R2_VH.png", "Cleric Robe vari_01_VH.png", "Crystal_VH.png".

That is 14 files by the time the zip was 53% extracted. I stopped tracking them after that point.

Any advice?

Thanks very much.

Jamie (CNYGamer)

Comments

• The install program is rather large. I've noticed Inyternet issues for the past week or so. My suggestion would be to uninstall it, and re-download. Pick a time of day where the Internet might not be so busy. Early morning is usually a good time. But not around breakfast as thats when people are checking email.
  • Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Traveler
    Try re-downloading like Jim suggested and try using a different program to unzip the files. I recommend 7-Zip as the zip file is rather larger and this can cause some problems with some unzipping software.
  • thehawkthehawk Surveyor
    My Windows8 machine refuses to download files over about 200MB - I end up getting generic 'Failed - Network Error' messages, along with some frustration. Happening both with PF and GOG, and just on this computer.

I ended up having to connect my phone to the home network and download the large files that way then transfer them back to this computer.
  • Hmm... My Win 8.1 laptop had no problems. If you haven't upgraded to 8.1 I highly suggest it. And I downloaded the file via wireless.
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    Posted By: thehawkMy Windows8 machine refuses to download files over about 200MB
    You still have a short amount of time to install Windows 10 free.
  • thehawkthehawk Surveyor
    I know - it keeps reminding me - but it is not an option. I have a workaround, so it isn't a problem, just pointing out that Windows 8 has some funk of its very own.
  • 6 months later
  • I stepped away from Campaign Cartographer for several months and recently came back to it. I'm still having all of the same problems that I described both here in this thread and also in http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=6160

I can say with confidence that I have never experienced these issues with any other software publisher that distributes their software online. I have a 100% success rate with downloading software from other publishers, and 90-ish% failure rate with downloading software from ProFantasy. Sometimes if I download the same thing over and over and over again, I will eventually get a copy that works.

As suggested in another forum, I have no viruses or malware on my computer unless there is a virus and/or malware on my machine that is escaping separate, independent scans from both Norton Internet Security and Malware Bytes Premium. I'm a computer professional, a safe and experienced Internet user, and I am confident that any suggestion that this problem is related to a virus or malware is barking up the wrong tree.

I own the complete collection of ProFantasy software because this company puts out a good product at a fair price and treats its customers well. But even in the light of that, these persistent download issues make this relationship with ProFantasy barely worth it.

It's difficult for me to wrap my head around the idea that a 100% successful download rate from other software publishers and a very high download failure rate from only one publisher (ProFantasy) is somehow due to something wrong on my end.
  • Strange - everything has downloaded for me just fine for every product that I purchased from ProFantasy Software. I am running Windows 7.
  • Windows 10 here. I just spent the past 45 minutes downloading SS3 and SS4 for CC3+ over and over again. Each time, it won't install because Windows tells me they are corrupted. And I can't get a clean download of CA3 for CC3+ either. My best attempt so far has yielded 44 errors while unzipping with the latest version of 7-Zip.
  • That is why I have not upgraded.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    CNYGamer, have you tried downloading using a different browser? Or, can you try downloading from another machine or a different internet connection? Are those options?
  • I have an old laptop I could download from, but not a different internet connection.

Perseverance did eventually pay off. After many, many downloads and re-downloads I finally got working copies of everything. But it was quite a frustrating experience.

I chose only to download CC3+ and CC3+ compatible add-ons. That basically means I have no access to Annuals 1-7, which I paid quite a bit of money for.

Due respect and no Internet rage intended, but it seems like a really bad place to be when you have some Annuals that are ONLY compatible with CC3, some that are compatible with both, and some that are ONLY compatible with CC3+. As a consumer who has spent hundreds on this suite of tools, I am a bit boggled by this situation.

This company has always treated me right, so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and I subscribed to the new Annual. I hope to get access to Annuals 1-7 again without having to maintain two separate, independent copies of CC3.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    ProFantasy will convert all the annuals to CC3+, but this does take some time and effort. Sooner or later, they will all be available though.
  • I am on Windows 10, and did have a problem last year when my connection was slow. Haven't had a problem otherwise.
  • From a technical standpoint, it's easy to split up very large files into smaller ones that are less subject to this sort or problem (7zip will do this), and the installers require serial numbers. But I have no idea how Profantasy would feel about someone doing that.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: taustinocBut I have no idea how Profantasy would feel about someone doing that.
    If anyone but ProFantasy did that, it would be a breach of the EULA. While I can't speak for ProFantasy, most companies do not appreciate other redistributing their software (Even with protections intact).
  • Posted By: JimPI am on Windows 10, and did have a problem last year when my connection was slow. Haven't had a problem otherwise.
    My Internet connection is high-speed Fios. I just did a speed test, and received 94.71 Mpbs down and 69.88 Mpbs up.
  • CNYGamer, Don't worry, you did not waste your money. When the upgrades comes out for each of the older annuals, you do not have re-buy them. You just go online and download the CC3+ version.
  • Posted By: CharlesWayneRobinsonCNYGamer, Don't worry, you did not waste your money. When the upgrades comes out for each of the older annuals, you do not have re-buy them. You just go online and download the CC3+ version.
    I don't mean to be "that guy" but I do tend to speak my mind. The process is going really slowly. I mean REALLY SLOWLY. I did a quick 30 second search of the forums and found posts from the summer of 2015 with people asking about this issue. Even if they converted one per calendar quarter since summer of 2015, over half of the annuals would be converted by now. Exactly how much good faith do they expect their paying customers to show? There are limits.
  • Posted By: Monsen
    Posted By: taustinocBut I have no idea how Profantasy would feel about someone doing that.
    If anyone but ProFantasy did that
    Without permission, yeah, very bad. Which is why I mentioned the possibility (and I'm sure they wouldn't need any help to set it up) rather than offering to do it. Some companies wouldn't actually mind, given that the install file without a serial number is (so far as I can tell) useless, and a lot of companies are pretty laid back about such things.

I just thought I'd mention how easy it would be, if they felt the need (and hadn't thought of the possibility already).
  • edited January 2017
    You would have to do a search, but they have instructions for making them adaptable yourself if you are up to the challenge. In addition, CC3+ was released initially as a Beta and became a full fledged product not too long ago. They then had to update core products before moving on tho the annuals. Personally, I would love having the annuals updated, but I also understand that small companies like these have only so much that they can do over time and still keep the great price. I absolutely love their products and have zero problems with downloading the software. I also love that they constantly update the product. I can wait a little and explore all the cool things I can do with what they already have. ?
  • Posted By: CharlesWayneRobinsonYou would have to do a search, but they have instructions for making them adaptable yourself if you are up to the challenge. In addition, CC3+ was released initially as a Beta and became a full fledged product not too long ago. They then had to update core products before moving on tho the annuals. Personally, I would love having the annuals updated, but I also understand that small companies like these have only so much that they can do over time and still keep the great price. I absolutely love their products and have zero problems with downloading the software. I also love that they constantly update the product. I can wait a little and explore all the cool things I can do with what they already have. ?
    I do agree that the products are excellent, the prices are excellent, and they generally treat their customers excellently. And that's why, despite my objections with regards to how slowly the Annuals conversion process is going, I subscribed to the 2017 Annual. My gaming is much better with ProFantasy than without.
  • In addition, it can be a link somewhere between your ISP and Profantasy's server. it doesn't have to be local to you nor local to them.