Distance calculation on round worlds exported from FT3

Because I am preparing a map to show the progress of an expedition across a fantasy world exported from FT3 to CC3, I needed to make sure I wasn't showing the expedition doing more than about 100 miles a day (they are able to fly, but the speed is limited).

Most projections are distorted one way or another, in particular the equirectangular projection I tend to favour, which makes it very difficult to estimate distance travelled around the globe near the poles.

I made myself a conversion chart that shows the distance across a grid square, if the grid is based on degrees. The distances shown are in kilometres, miles and leagues.

I have uploaded a zip file that contains a Word document showing the table. If you are able to open the spreadsheet version in Excel you may alter the diameter of the world and the number of kilometres per league to suit your taste.

I am sorry, but I don't know how else to present the spreadsheet in a functioning format for people who do not have Excel, but if anyone else does - please feel free to adjust and re-upload the result.

Comments