FT3 and Save As

I couldn't locate whether this has already been covered. When I create FT3 worlds (I am using version 3.0.12) I often like to save the results under different names. However Save is greyed out unless I carry out an alteration to the world and Save As which is the one I want to use since I am changing file names does not work at all You have to exit the program to get a do you want to save dialogue. Which again does not appear unless you have made a physical change to the map.
Itis very annoying to leave the program and then copy the Ft3 file.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Sorry Skaran. The only button that's greyed out for me (whether I run the software as the administrator or not), is the Save button, once I've already saved it once and made no change. The Save As button is always ready. You might have to see if one of the more experienced users or moderators can have a look at that.

Does it still happen if you make a change then click undo?
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited June 2016
    Save As works for me under FT3. And gives a long list of file types. I more typically have been exporting as Cosmographer planets.
  • The Save As does not produce a list of file types and though it is not greyed out it only responds if you either alter the map or save a view.

Also regarding the export to Cosmographer the background colour in the imported CC3 files is always black regardless of the colour actually set in FT3.

Looks like their is something wrong with the FT3 installation
    Posted By: SkaranLooks like their is something wrong with the FT3 installation
    This was only a logical suggestion on my part. I'm not an engineer, but if its not too problematical for you to do so, you could try a re-install? After that I'm a bit lost as to what you can do. It is always important to follow the install instructions exactly so that you do everything in the right order, and have all the necessary updates for both pieces of software.
  • Reinstalled FT3, this started with 3.0.1.0 then upgrades to 3.0.12. I am wondering whether a missed patch may be why their is no Save As drop down list.

Having looked at this more closely even when the map is changed the Save As function does not do anything. KIn order to save the file you have to close the program.
  • Thats odd because I've always been able to Save As in FT3 after each world. I don't edit in FT3. I export and then import the png or fcw file into CC3.
  • When I have time I'll try and re-download FT3 and see if that makes a difference.
    edited June 2016
    I have been trying to make the same thing happen to mine to 'reverse engineer' the problem, if you like - to make it happen and record how I did it, so I can tell you what's gone wrong... but it just doesn't seem to want to go wrong!

What operating system are you using? Did you alter any of the default folders that are set by the installer during installation?

I don't know very much about these things, but someone else might suddenly see what's wrong. I'm just trying to ask the right sort of questions - the ones I usually seem to get asked :)
    I was just looking at where everything is put in a default installation and discovered that this was once an acknowledged bug, but It was put right in update 3.0.9.

Could it be that your original copy of FT3 was really quite old, and you updated it with a very recent update patch - effectively missing out the one with the Save As repair job?
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Updates should be follow. That is, every update should include all previous updates.
    Thanks jslayton. I was grasping at straws here. Have you any idea what the problem might be?
    I have not heard of this problem before. The code is not structured to allow for the kind of behavior described, suggesting that it may be something in the local system environment. Those kinds of problems are very hard to diagnose.
  • The operating system I am using is Windows Vista. I did install both the 3.0.9 and 3.0.12 updates as administrator and run FT3 in this mode also.

I think my next task will be to remove all traces of this program and go for a clean install.
    If its any comfort the software works perfectly with Windows 10, even though 10 can be a bit of a nanny at times. Vista was never one of my favourite versions, and 8.0/8.1 were worse than useless because they assume the user is an idiot who can't do anything for themselves - you can't really change anything to suit your personal taste and requirements (I had 8.1 before I updated to 10). In some golden parallel somewhere, we are all still using XP :)

Let us know what happens?
  • Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Traveler
    edited June 2016
    Right click and run the FT exe as an Admin always when you go to run FT. I had this problem you are describing happen to me I'm using 32-bit Win 7 and the run as Admin fixed it when it did occur. Currently I'm not having to run as an Admin to save but in the past when the issue did occur running as an Admin did fix things.
    If it is the admin problem that Jay-NOLA describes, it would probably be simpler to install FT in a location that isn't Program Files. I use G:/ProFantasy/CC3 as my install and I have avoided any UAC problems without having to run as admin.
  • OK reinstalled to a different location after redownloading. Original FT3 version downloaded was 3.0.4 this was run then the 3.0.12 update. No change to how the program works. On my desktop though which runs Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 the Save As function does work.
  • I was also wondering whether these other items could all be related.
    The hide overlay does not hide the River Overlay even when it says it is.
    The background colour set option for Cosmographer output accepts the colour selected but the CC3 output is always black.
    Weird.
    Then has anyone noticed the cropping of map regions on multiple file output? For example I wanted to do a multiple file output of a continent. The top is the view which was selected as the basis for the output, the bottom is the top level output generated. The more layers selected for output the worse this becomes.
    Sorry to interrupt and be distracting, but that's a lovely island, Skaran.

I hadn't noticed any cropping problems before, but then I tend to work on the whole map at once. (I'm a big map person - must have the whole world in front of me)
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited June 2016
    Did you install in Program Files folder or somewhere else ?
  • Hi Jim, I have installed both ways, currently the installation is sitting in C;/Profantasy/FT3
    Perhaps there is a problem in the registry?
  • Program Files folder, since Vista, doesn't like changes... so installing it outside there is best.

I wont suggest editing the registry.

I would suggest contacting Profantasy's Tech support via the Support page when you log into your account there.