Naming things

Does anyone know a good site where you can check that the names for the things in your fantasy world aren't words that mean something specific in a different language?

An example I have already come across in my own writing is the name I dreamed up for a king (one that I thought was a really good name). It turned out to be the word for aiming a particular kind of insult at a man, in Polish. I only found this out because I was sitting next to a Polish lady who was talking on the phone in an animated manner, and I heard the name - the name of my king. Once she hung up I asked her what the word meant, and she blushed, but she DID explain (once I explained why I wanted to know).

Nowadays I worry that my books and maps might contain other names that will insult half the planet without my ever realising it.

I know its a bit much expecting there to be a webpage that deals exactly with just that problem, but I never came up for the real meaning of that particular king's name when I googled it beforehand, and I wondered if any of you might know a better way to check than just by googling something.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2016
    You could try plugging it into google translate with it set to auto-detect the language, that might identify some words like that.

But you probably shouldn't worry too much about it, as even normal English words may be bad words in other languages. From my own country Norway, we have a place named Hell. For you, that is probably a swearword, for me it is a place name. I also remember EA making a cross-platform racing game once, with the chat open up to all nationalities. People were complaining that they had problems having a normal conversation, because there were so many words blocked because everyday words meant something bad in some language, and EA had strict filters in place (I even heard the word Car was blocked, but I haven't confirmed that particular one)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Thanks Monsen. I didn't think of the translate option.

Hell is the name of the place that wrongdoers go in the afterlife, for me, but it probably means all kinds of different things to others. We do use it as a swear word in the UK, but its not by any means the worst kind of swear word, and its not even all that common any more compared to the usual "F" word, which I understand was originally an inoffensive German word meaning the natural act of procreation.

If you want to know the name of the king I devised that was so offensive, so that you don't go and accidentally use it, I think that I'm fairly safe just to use it here as part of the explanation... it was "Codari".

I don't think I'm bold enough to explain it, though.
    The name of the king was obviously so very bad that google translate wouldn't give me an answer! lol
    I'm still chuckling... I'm going to get a name for making up dirty words at this rate - along with a reputation for making impossibly large maps! lol
  • i know what you mean, i named the major locations in my campaign world long before the internet (hush, okay i'm older than dirt) and i discovereed to my dismay when getting online that one is the name for a model of Citroen cars, and another was in part a variation on a specific type of tea
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    In my own, humble, opinion, I think readers understand that authors don't know every possible meaning of every possible word in every possible language. And, in particular, that fantasy and sci-fi authors make stuff up. My guess is that people would be more amused at the coincidence than offended.

Personally, the problem I run into a lot is that I use a word or name, thinking I made it up, but then I rediscover later that I pulled it from my subconscious, from another source.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    Posted By: Dogtagthe problem I run into a lot is that I use a word or name, thinking I made it up, but then I rediscover later that I pulled it from my subconscious, from another source
    Does that mean I have a filthy mind! lol. Now I can't stop chuckling!

Seriously, though. I think you are right. I do the same sometimes - especially when I'm tired. I also do it to myself - making up names that I used in other stuff written when I was a teenager.

(Yes, I'm rather old as well, Farrin)
  • I just make names up. I have a spreadsheet for my Traveller worlds with over 1,000 world names. Mostly sounds.

Like... Chul-Gar-Na. Chul-Ara, Chul-Wan. Page after page of them.

Oh, and there is a Hell, Michigan. Claims to be the coldest place in the Lower 48 of the U.S.
    edited June 2016
    I have a spreadsheet as well. It generates names by concatenating strings of random vowels and consonants (or syllables, depending on which sheet you use). I made a set of rules to prevent the unpronounceable from occurring.

I tried to upload it, but I couldn't - probably because its got active macros in it that are triggered by buttons on each sheet that force recalculation when you're fed up with the sheet in front of you.

Don't be sad, though. Its not as great as it sounds. Having taken all that time creating this marvellous pink elephant for myself, I still find that my own imagination can outdo anything a random machine can create! lol. How marvellous is the human brain :)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited June 2016
    I realize the purpose of this thread was to check names, but on a closely related note, a helpful resource for generating names is Bruce Gulke's TableSmith utility. The default (and downloadable) name tables are pretty good, but if I recall, you can create your own tables to generate names too. There are other, similar, utilities out there as well. Another good place to look is Fantasy Name Generators (proof that there's a website for practically anything).
    Talking of place names we have a Piddle Valley, Piddletrenthide, Puddletown and various other weird names less than 50 miles from where I live, so really, you can call a place practically anything, and no one can say that its not realistic!
    Posted By: DogtagAnother good place to look isFantasy Name Generators(proof that there's a website for practically anything).
    Thanks Dogtag. This is a very useful link :)
  • edited June 2016
    Now that I am going through another revision of my world of Kelleemah, I am going back and adding more to it and redoing some of the names.

I like to use names from mythology or history a lot.
    An example is the a famous elf/half-elf/man from mythology named Wayland.
    Wayland is now used as the title of Kingship for my Elven realms.

I also use Google Translate to help come up with names.
    As an example: I have a culture based on India in my campaign world.
    I enter a cool name into the English side like, The Emerald Snakes, and see how that comes out in Hindu, Panna Naagon.
    Bang, there you go, my Green colored Naga serpent race are the Panna Naagon! (The Emerald Serpents!).

LoL!
    I often come up with names that are Indian by mistake. I thought I'd done really well with Anandani (a god in one of my stories), but it turns out to be really common in India. I changed it to Ajandrani, which I haven't yet found online. a lot of my made up names end up being Arabic in nature. I really want to avoid that, just in case I accidentally use a name that is later associated with a certain extremist minority group in relation to some horrific attack of some kind. I had to completely do away with Isis, for example (a Greek/Roman goddess originally), and replace it with Iriana.

General Zera, I thought, was a completely splendid name. I dreamed it up in 2007 - used it in one of my online excerpts on Writers Circle (now extinct), but just recently I saw it in one of Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Cycle books, and again in one of Rachel Hartman's books. Both of these newer Zeras were generals. Makes you wonder if they heard it being muttered someplace, and it came back to the fore of their own subconscious minds. I bet they each think they made it up themselves. lol.

I once had to scrap an entire plot line, because ten years after I though it up, I sat down to watch a dramatization on TV, and there it was - right in front of me. That was Fay Weldon's "She Devil".

Either telepathy is real, or our minds are not as unique and dissimilar as we like to think they are.
  • edited June 2016
    Lol! I feel your pain. :-)
    I am certain that we have all had these things happen to us at one time or another. Its just that the nature of the human mind seems to be against remembering them all that well.

Still, never mind. Now that I have mentioned Ajandrani here, at least I have some proof the name was mine first if it suddenly appears anywhere else! lol
    edited June 2016
    You know... I've made a decision.

If I am to be hampered by concerns about what people will think of the names I make up, then I will constantly suffer from nervous anxiety. I might never publish anything. so I've decided to carry on using King Codari, because it fits the character I've created to bear that name, and I'm going to hope the reason Google wouldn't translate Codari means that it couldn't be translated because the Polish word isn't spelt that way. I'm also going to carry on using General Zera, since he was mine first, and he is only a minor character in both the published books I mentioned before.

If I am shot down in flames by all those vicious lawyers just waiting to make money out of the little people, then I will metaphorically die in a blaze... and that kind of appeals to me after all the battles I've faced trying to get my scientific family to accept that I am a fantasy writer. After all - I don't really have anything left to loose, having lived on minimum wage for the last 6 years. They will have to wait for me to make some money first before ripping out my throat becomes worth the effort :)
    I forgot!

In Dorset we also have:

Shitterton, Happy Bottom, Scratchy Bottom, Shaggs, Sandy Balls, Droop, Dungy Head, and Tincleton... not to mention; Knacker's Hole and Clapgate...

(I'm going to get thrown out of the community if I carry on, but we have worse than that!)

I think I might add a few slightly less rude names to my own maps among the tinier villages, in the hope of making people chuckle.
    No. Seriously!

AND.... they're really REALLY proud of it.
  • Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Traveler
    edited February 2017
    Some quick comments on the problem of words being insults, etc. in another country.

1.) For names I recommend you pick up a copy of The Writer's Digest Character Naming Sourcebook, Second Edition, by Sherrilyn Kenyon.

This book list numerous names and information on naming conventions for numerous languages. You can look up name male and female for a particular language and find out what it means in that language. You can also look up in the idex a particular name too and see what languages use it and if it has a different on what language it is used in.

2.) The exact meaning of a word in a language may have changed and could have been an insult or used to refer to something very unpleasant, but may refer to something that isn't or taking on a reverse association in regards to it being negative or positive now. The reverse also can apply too, a word that wasn't "negative" is now.

Keep this in mind as you may for example, use the word to detonation "affection" in naming a person or place and latter find out that it used to mean "fecal waste" in the past in the same language. (This ia an actual thing I encountered last year when researching the meaning of a particular name. The reason why the change occurred also had some important cultural reasons in regards to cultural behaviors regarding superstitions connection to disease.)

If you doing a historical based game, etc. you want to keep this in mind and be aawre of this if you get one definition in one dictionary and another meaning in another dictionary.

3.) Some words can have both a negative or positive meaning depending on the contex it is used in. The use of the word "bad" in English usage is a good example. In some cases a word can have a very different meaning too. May have the same spelling as another word, but a slight change in pronunciation or emphasis on certain letters can change the meaning to a term of a respect becomes an insult in the way it is said for example. (This is something I was told of years ago when I took a non-credited French class by an instructor.)
    Thank you Jay_NOLA

At last, a source of some useful information for those of us who use historical or real names. Is there a version of this book for fantasy writers?

I only ask tentatively, because most of the names I dream up don't appear in any of the dictionaries I have on my shelves (like Nanatoc, or Eonat, which are two of the main characters in one of the books I'm working on right now). If I were to stop and check every single language for just one of those two names you might see how impractical it would be for me to do this with the entire cast (there are approximately 500 named characters, plants, beasts and rocks in the book, even if some are only mentioned in passing). I'd never write a thing, which would negate the need to look them up in the first place.

(Note aside: I see that the spellcheck on this forum has no problem with Nanatoc, so now I'm worried that its a word in use, and must check it again!)

The quickest method I've been using, since the advent of the web, is to Google (and Bing) the name I've just thought of to see if I get a page of links to a string of Portuguese hotels (as has happened before), or a page of links to... umm... shall we say; 'questionable sites'. I only use the ones that don't appear in any shape or form on the web, in the hope that since the web is a sort of global dictionary in its own right, given that there is at least one speaker of each and every language actively connected to the web - when you do a search, you are bound to come up with a positive result in one way or another, even if the word has only ever been uttered once in the entire history of the web.

I'm sorry - I really have to go and check Nanatoc again...
    No Nanatoc. Not even with languages set to 'all' and security set down a peg to catch any lewd references. There is no such word as Nanatoc.

I have to assume this, or I might fret myself to an early grave.

How strange, then, that the spellcheck here should be perfectly happy with it?

Please correct me if Nanatoc does actually mean something to someone. It would be an interesting test of the suitability of the name checking system I have devised.

Thanks
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: LoopysueI see that the spellcheck on this forum has no problem with Nanatoc
    This forum doesn't have a spellcheck, so if you get any such functionality, it is your browser (or a plugin) that provides it. And as such, it might be that you have already added Nanatoc to your own dictionary, making it a leagal word. My spellcheck (firefox) certainly do not recognice that word.
  • You might look in your local library for books on etymology. Its the study of words and their origins. I did a search on 'define etymology' and got a long list of online books and definitions of etymology.
    Posted By: MonsenThis forum doesn't have a spellcheck, so if you get any such functionality, it is your browser (or a plugin) that provides it. And as such, it might be that you have already added Nanatoc to your own dictionary, making it a leagal word. My spellcheck (firefox) certainly do not recognice that word.
    I see... but I certainly got a huge red wiggly line right under Eonat, and he's my main protagonist in book 2. I know I've added him to my own dictionaries. I wouldn't have been able to see for the red wiggly lines otherwise. Most mysterious!

Well... not really I suppose. We ARE talking about Micorsoft Edge here, and as far as I'm concerned that's all part and parcel of the Win 10 issue. Is there anything Win 10 doesn't get its sticky fingers into?
    Posted By: JimPYou might look in your local library for books on etymology. Its the study of words and their origins. I did a search on 'define etymology' and got a long list of online books and definitions of etymology.
    I suppose that since my language is English I might assume that most of our words were originally Norman (French), Saxon (German), Scandinavian, or Danish... for... obvious reasons :-)
  • Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Traveler
    It is intended for all genres including Fantasy/Sci Fi. It has some advice on names for fantasy/sci fi in a section on naming conventions/expectations of readers for particular genres before you get to the big sections listing names and meaning names arranged by specific languages for men and women long with any rules, things to be aware of, etc. regarding names in that language.

For fantasy the advice is to build upon a real world language or to just create names that have no relationship at all to any Earth names. In the latter case the names often have a particular sound to them to evoke specific images. Example a lyrical sounding names could be used for elves while hard short rough sounding names could be used for dwarves. (It also gives some advice on how not to name things too.)

Given the scope of what your aiming at books, articles, on creating a different language might be something to look into so things have logical flow to them.

One other thing is how many different languages are you going to have in your world and are they based upon any real world one that you can draw names from or build from.

Looking up every name online, in books, etc. that you create is going to be time consuming.

Two other things that I''ll quickly add about the book it has a section that lists the top common 10 male and female names for certain specific years and in various places in the book you get other writers giving paragraph or two about how they selected names for the books the wrote and some tips.

Also, I'll quickly mention that Writer's Digest has several articles on character names and other ones you can read on their website.

http://www.writersdigest.com
    Posted By: LoopysueThank you Jay_NOLA

At last, a source of some useful information for those of us who use historical or real names. Is there a version of this book for fantasy writers?

I only ask tentatively, because most of the names I dream up don't appear in any of the dictionaries I have on my shelves (like Nanatoc, or Eonat, which are two of the main characters in one of the books I'm working on right now). If I were to stop and check every single language for just one of those two names you might see how impractical it would be for me to do this with the entire cast (there are approximately 500 named characters, plants, beasts and rocks in the book, even if some are only mentioned in passing). I'd never write a thing, which would negate the need to look them up in the first place.

(Note aside: I see that the spellcheck on this forum has no problem with Nanatoc, so now I'm worried that its a word in use, and must check it again!)

The quickest method I've been using, since the advent of the web, is to Google (and Bing) the name I've just thought of to see if I get a page of links to a string of Portuguese hotels (as has happened before), or a page of links to... umm... shall we say; 'questionable sites'. I only use the ones that don't appear in any shape or form on the web, in the hope that since the web is a sort of global dictionary in its own right, given that there is at least one speaker of each and every language actively connected to the web - when you do a search, you are bound to come up with a positive result in one way or another, even if the word has only ever been uttered once in the entire history of the web.

I'm sorry - I really have to go and check Nanatoc again...
    Thank you again Jay-NOLA

I had a heavy day today and got called away in the middle of the conversation.

I will have a look at all the reading matter that you and JimP have suggested here today, but only when I have mostly done with the story and sent it away for proof reading/editing (to a published author who has agreed to do the job for free, and also to a qualified English teacher). The reason for this is that I prefer to delve into my own imagination for (hopefully) original source ideas, and then modify and amend according to the most important of the rules that seem to govern the genre near the end of the work - to gently blend my work with the expectations of the reader. I hope not to disappoint people too much by saying that the story itself is so massively intertwined and complicated (hence 5 volumes that stretch over a time period of nearly 2 million years, involve both space travel and time travel, and sway between sci-fi and fantasy) that I have decided not to manufacture a false language and complicate it still further, but to stick to English for the most part and merely refer to certain factions or characters speaking or whispering aside in their own tongue.

Suffice it to say that I wrote a brief synopsis of the background of the book, but my browser crashed just now and I only had time to save the above before I blinked offline for a moment. I can't remember how I worded it - which is a shame, because it was shaping up to be better than the actual book summary. Never mind. Siiiigh... :-(
    Ok. I think I have it, and I'm hoping this will complete the explanation I lost the second half too above by explaining the situation just before the start of the story. I'm hoping that you will see the complexity and realise there is little room in your average 120000 word fantasy yarn to include an entire set of the expected 'extras', like multiple languages and poems and songs and such like. I will also struggle not to give too much away for those who have already asked me not to spoil the story for them.

A sentient terraforming AI, who was forgotten and left behind by the space age 'ancients' of the Earth when they departed en-masse to avoid the apocalypse, has innocently re-created life on Earth after the first storm of said apocalypse. Too late Sar realises that his five new tribes are doomed, for if they cannot overcome their differences and get their medieval selves across the narrow slither of void that separates Ethran (the ruined Earth) from her new sister world (Errispa), all will be lost in the second and final storm of the apocalypse. Add to this the problem that his tribes are all pre-industrial, and that the dominant and very powerful Blucran Sayers of Merelan (a holy warrior caste of the Blucran people) believe that Errispa is the sacred Place of Dreams and refuse to tolerate the sacrilegious/blasphemous intentions of those who wish to leave Ethran for Errispa.

There!
    Oh yes! We also have genetically enhanced retro evolved predatory pterodactylian 'birds' to consider, left over from the days of the ancients and their ghastly sci-fi wars and known only as 'screamers', because that's the last thing you will ever hear...

It was they who survived the first storm of the apocalypse - not the rats and the beetles.