Horn & Stars Tavern

Well, since the info is out.... This is my next project, The Horn & Stars Tavern, located in my deceptively sleepy little town of Ardenvale, for my Larysia Campaign. What's most special about this particular project... is that everyone gets a bit of a sneak peek into Bogie's artwork that Mark mentioned (since I'm no longer held by non-disclosure). I just started this over the past few days, so there isn't much yet... but I can tell you, I'm blown away by Bogie's symbols! I'm looking forward to the full release!!!

Comments

• edited June 2016
    okay, let's try this again....maybe a jpg will show up....
  • oh, and Mark, here is my fcw, still trying to figure out why my floor dissapears when I try to use Bogie's doors.
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    Posted By: LadieStormstill trying to figure out why my floor dissapears when I try to use Bogie's doors
    The doors are cutting symbols, like those in DD3. When I run a List on your wall, it tells me that the wall is a 2D Polygon. As far as I know, you can't place cutting symbols on a 2D Polygon. If I recall correctly (maybe I don't), cutting symbols work only on lines and true walls made with the wall tool (which I believe are 2D Paths). A cut erases a part of an object. When one tries to use an object with a cut on a map without cutable objects, strange things apparently happen. I never tried it before.

A put a real wall (made with the wall tool) onto your map, and the door cuts it just fine.

However, I hope Remy is looking at this thread, because I'm anything but an expert in this area of CC3+, and he doubtless can illuminate the matter much better.
    edited June 2016
    You're off to a good start! I like the design! Keep the WIPs coming.

Sorry ... but I don't know why your PNGs and JPG want to be downloaded instead of showing. I'm going to attach one to see if I get the same result.

And ... gee golly whillikers, I did! So something must be going bonkers with the forum right now. I attached the way I always do.

However, for anyone who wants to see ladiestorm's work. just download it and open it from your storage.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2016
    Posted By: LadieStormstill trying to figure out why my floor dissapears when I try to use Bogie's doors.
    Basically, the control points on the doors are not correct, causing them to cut the first available entity it finds, which happen to be your floor instead of your wall. You may remember that if you use BREAK or CUT on a polygon, it becomes a path, which means only the lines will be filled (as opposed to everything inside the lines), and since the outline of the floor is beneath the walls, will cause it to disappear.

To fix the doors (This is more for Mark than for you), what needs to be done is to edit the symol, use change properties on the control points, and change their layer to "WALLS", then save the symbol. Next, open up the properties for the symbol, and ensure that the 'Control points only cut on the same layer' is enabled. This will make the doors behave properly.

At another note, the scale in your drawing is seriously messed up. You bar stools have a diameter of 11'. Or are your tavern catering to giants? You should really always stick to a scale of 1.0 for floorplan/dungeon symbols. (As a base scale anyway, if something is supposed to be bigger/smaller than the norm, you obviously adjust the scale). The reason for sticking to 1.0 this is that it will save you a whole lot of trouble later, whether you want to print it to scale, import it into another drawing, measure distances or anything else.

As for why the images doesn't show up, seems like this forum software doesn't like file names with an & in them.
    edited June 2016
    Posted By: MonsenTo fix the doors (This is more for Mark than for you), what needs to be done is to edit the symol, use change properties on the control points, and change their layer to "WALLS", then save the symbol. Next, open up the properties for the symbol, and ensure that the 'Control points only cut on the same layer' is enabled. This will make the doors behave properly.
    Thanks, Remy. As you know, this is an area in which I have little knowledge or experience. I'll fix it and put up a patch for the beta testers, including LadieStorm.
  • edited June 2016
    grrrr... stupid scale issues again. I will work on that.

As for the door issues, Mark and Remy, I think I may know what the issue is, and perhaps it's that I'm trying too much at once... but I'm trying to tie this map of the Tavern into the map of Ardenvale. The Tavern is made of a type of clay brick, from the clay of the area... so I was trying to show that in the walls of the Tavern I'm making here. Because of that, when I used the 'add room' tool, I chose the walnut wood floor, but then I used the bitmap fills to find the brown stone tile (it was the closest thing I could find to work.) Since this is the above ground floor, I didn't want to use dd3's standard bitmap fills. I'm also trying to give the impression of wood paneling inside, while the outside is that clay brick.

I thought it would render the same way as the dungeon cobblestone, but I suppose not. Perhaps if I use the floor tool to create the ground floor, then go back and use the wall tool this would create the necessary wall that can be cut? It creates a little more work for me, but if it allows me to cut the walls for the doors, I will give it a try.

On a side note... does anyone know if there is a symbol out there for an open doorway, without the actual door? I want to make two open doorways coming out of my kitchen area, but the only symbols I have involve doors with doorknobs. I'm looking for something like an archway, or perhaps saloon style doors that swing in and out.
  • I changed the name, let's see if it works now
    edited June 2016
    Posted By: MonsenAt another note, the scale in your drawing is seriously messed up. You bar stools have a diameter of 11'. Or are your tavern catering to giants? You should really always stick to a scale of 1.0 for floorplan/dungeon symbols. (As a base scale anyway, if something is supposed to be bigger/smaller than the norm, you obviously adjust the scale). The reason for sticking to 1.0 this is that it will save you a whole lot of trouble later, whether you want to print it to scale, import it into another drawing, measure distances or anything else
    I agree completely with your point about sticking to a scale of 1.0. One can change it on individual objects if one wants that object to be unusually big or small. However, we shouldn't scare LadieStorm here. She made the map with all of the objects at a scale of 5.0 rather than the normal 1.0, but in relationship to one another, I think the objects are scaled pretty well.

Beyond the direct topic at hand, I would point out that Dundjinni symbols all are scaled at 40 Pixels = 1 foot, and all of Bogie's symbols were, before the conversion, single resolution Dundjinni symbols. Anytime one uses Dundjinni symbols in CC3+, including the symbols in the CSUAC, one should eyeball how those objects fit visually in with the other objects in the map. Some of the people who made Dundjinni symbols were less than precise with their scaling. I once had a night table as wide as four beds, for example. When this happens, one has no choice but to set a different scale than 1.0 for that specific symbol.

For LadieStorm and the other beta testers:

I'm doing some updating and will post a beta patch tomorrow. It will include the fix that Remy recommended on the cutting doors and windows. (Things like this are why we do beta testing.) Thanks to LadieStorm for finding the bug.
  • Posted By: LadieStorm (snip snip)
    On a side note... does anyone know if there is a symbol out there for an open doorway, without the actual door? I want to make two open doorways coming out of my kitchen area, but the only symbols I have involve doors with doorknobs. I'm looking for something like an archway, or perhaps saloon style doors that swing in and out.
    Yes, just use one of the scissor cut symbols. It will make an opening in the way without placnig a door.

Or, place a door of the size you want, then delete that one door.
    Posted By: JimPYes, just use one of the scissor cut symbols. It will make an opening in the way without placnig a door.

Or, place a door of the size you want, then delete that one door.
    After that, you could insert one of the symbols that I sent to you by E-Mail, if any of them fit. Greg Taylor (Greytale) also has some good open door symbols available in the Dundjinni forum, but rememeber that his work is strictly limited for personal use only. You can identify his work by the _gt in the file name.
  • Oh crimeny, I knew there was something I forgot while I was online today!!! I missed downloading one of the sets you sent me! I will have to get it, and the patch the next time I can get online...not sure when that will be.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: VintyriAs you know, this is an area in which I have little knowledge or experience.
    I doubt most of our users would consider this common knowledge either, not something anyone would need very often. I've now added a note to the Tome with this information.
    Posted By: MonsenI've now added a note to the Tome with this information.
    Thanx, Remy. The information will be helpful.
  • On a side note... I didn't like the layout I originally started with, so I've switched it up a bit. But one of the things I have noticed, is that, within cc3+, Bogie's symbols tend to be on the small side. That's the reason I've scaled them up so much. I want the impression of a small, 'cramped' town tavern, but I also want the little details to be noticed, such as the tankard on the bar, and the wine racks!

Hopefully, I will have most of the first floor done and ready to post either Sunday or Monday. Oh, Mark... You once told me that if there was a symbol I was looking for, I should ask you, because you might have one, or know where I can find one. I'm actually looking for two... A Varicolor shield, one with a flat top that comes to a point at the bottom, and unicorn head. I'm hoping to make the tavern's sign, similar to the Order Protectorate emblam for my Merydyan map? I thought it would be a nice touch, if I had a true tavern sign.
  • edited June 2016
    so I decided to change the layout of this tavern. Once I started with it, I realized I didn't care for the layout... it was a lot of wasted space. So I've switched it up, and added a bit. I still don't have doors or windows, I have to finish downloading and installing patches. But here is what I have so far. Still working on the first floor.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    The first one was good, but this one is better. I love the detail - what kind of skin is that by the hearth? There are some lovely variations on table top textures here :)
  • that 'skin' you are talking about is actually part of the fireplace symbol. I haven't added any effects yet.

And yes, I wanted the different types of tables, because this is a small town. Small town places tend to buy or make what they need, they don't have the luxury of getting stuff that matches.
    Only too true. A patchwork of variations on a theme - a bit like my flat :)

I like a touch of realism, even in a fantasy setting. Makes it more believable - sucks the imagination into the fantasy world because its subconsciously something familiar to all of us - unless I'm just strange in that I like to see references to some kind of reality going on in the background, like this is a real but parallel universe not too far removed from our own.
    edited June 2016
    Looking better, better, better. One thing I would do (but you don't have to): Bump the scale on the bar preset symbol up by about +2 (5.0 to 7.0?). The objects in this preset all look somewhat small in relationship to the other objects in the floor plan. I like the scale relationships of the remaining objects. They aren't the ones most people would pick ... too realistic and normal ... but the ones that make it look real, like off-the-beaten-path places I've been in here in Northern Bavaria.

Strange, but this place made me think immediately of the Brui Mina's (Brewmistress Mina's) tavern in Obermögersheim in the 1980s. At that time, Mina was the oldest lady brewmistress in Bavaria, going into her 90s, but still brewing her own beer to serve only in her tavern until the late 1980s, when she died. It was a place that had changed little over 100 years and perhaps many more. This map captures some of the flavor one got there, one of those places that time forgot.

Curious ... what purpose do the tables without chairs serve?
  • Nothing other than the fact I haven't chosen the chairs I want to go with those tables yet. :)
    Posted By: Loopysuewhat kind of skin is that by the hearth?
    The symbol comes from the forthcoming "Bogie's Mapping Objects" release. Looking at it closeup, I'd guess that it's a boarskin.
  • Sue, I am so sorry, I misunderstood your question! You were asking about the skin rug in the floor, and I thought you were asking about the light emanating from the fireplace!

Yes, it's one of many rug options you can choose from Bogie's symbols. I think it may be a deerskin. I thought that was appropriate for a tavern in a town that's on the edge of a forest. :)
    edited June 2016
    Ah. You confused me, I must admit - which is why I didn't say anything (thinking I had said something wrong, and not wanting to make it any worse) lol!

These Bogie symbols are something else, aren't they (I mean "cool", or "beautiful"). I wish I could draw stuff like that. My successes are all very much accidental!

Bogie's even put little creases in it like its spent some time being rolled up and stowed somewhere. Nice touch.
    Posted By: LoopysueBogie's even put little creases in it like its spent some time being rolled up and stowed somewhere. Nice touch.
    Actually, as Bogie has posted many times, a large number of these objects began with a digital photo that he made and then processed and retouched in Adobe Photoshop. So, there probably was a rug something like this somewhere with the creases and he left the creases in.
    I still think they are beautiful :)
  • All I know is his symbol sets are going to allow me to make more detailed dungeon and battle maps. I am so psyched and excited about these mapping projects! I am always excited since I bought cc3+, but now I'm driving my family nuts with it :D Good think they are all gone for the next couple of days and I have the house to myself!

So here is my next update. I'm actually almost done with the first floor. I have to do the effects, and I have some finishing touches to complete here and there... but I'm really pleased with the results so far!

I did notice one thing as I was working on this... and I don't know if this is normal or not, but Bogie's window symbols don't cut the walls, like the doors do. I don't know if they are supposed to, since i haven't put in windows before. It's not a problem, I worked around it by using the dd3 cutting tool. I used the regular 10 cutting tool.

*Special Note* If you decide to use the cutting tool to cut for Bogie's windows, you need to set the cutting tool to HALF the size you plan to use for Bogie's windows. For example, I set my windows at a size 6 scale. So to get the right cut for the windows, I had to set the cutting tool to a size 3 scale. The doors cut themselves, so I didn't have to worry about that. Mark, I don't know if you want to try to do anything with that, it may be enough to make a note in any tutorial that comes with the release...
  • Well, now that the first floor is coming together, I started laying out the 'basement'. Now, I do have one small mistake that I have to go back and fix... there's a door one the righthand wall that isn't supposed to be seen.

I have the beginning layout that I want, but I'm not sure I like the floor I have right now. Truth be told, I have changed this floor 3 times now, and I'm still not very happy with it.

I just realized a little bit of explanation might be necessary, so here is as brief a one that I can give. This tavern(and the whole town really) is quite literally built a top the 'bones' of an ancient town/city. Some of the foundations for that ancient town/city were in 'remarkable' condition after hundreds of years, and the new inhabitants built their structures on the ancient foundations. This tavern is one that was built on top of an ancient foundation. The 'basement' had been here for 'hundreds' of years, and the Tavern owner just reset the stairs, cleaned the area out, set up a couple of walls to section off the space, and added the fireplace. There are secrets here that are yet to be discovered! Such as that secret door that right now, is not so secret! lol... I will get that fixed, soon I hope... but in the mean time, I hope you enjoy the process!