Errispa 3

LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
I've finally settled on a landmass that seems to work with the story, and doesn't look too bad as a shape in its own right. (I wasn't happy with the original, or the second one).

I thought it would be interesting to upload the map at various stages of development. Here, after 10 hours searching and searching through the worlds on FT3, is the outline landmass, with the contours still only "roughed in". I find it distracting to work without a finished ocean in the background, so that comes first, for me. Once I have the ocean just the way I want it for a 'pin up poster' type map (by bending the rules all over the place), the rest seems to come more easily - but then I'm very colour sensitive. I'd have done the colours even brighter, and even more unusual, but this will do for now until I start setting up the major features of the landmass, so I can compare and adjust the hue, chroma and contrast.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Progress:

The red lines mark mountain chains based on the FT3 relief export. White lines are sketched areas of vegetation/climate types (imagined, not from FT3). Mountains and basic climates in place through most of the tropics. A few names added ad hoc (thought of whilst working and added to prevent them being forgotten). Ocean altered, but may go back to the original.
    I have a problem with texture scale. The map is intended to be microscopically examined, and in the story is one huge roll of velum that is so big it has to be carried by one of the giant were-hawk characters who protect the expedition as they venture into the unknown - too big for a mule to carry. But, this means the artwork is huge and on the average screen the detail is lost. I'm wondering whether I should go with the giant mountains and do giant textures (this is a whole world map, where each mountain symbol probably covers between 1000 and 2000 miles), or stay with tiny detail - as if this really is the real and actual map that went on the expedition to find Nanatoc's lost Fleet.
    The northern hemisphere, nearly complete. Different shades of grassland texture were produced by using three different sheets with different effects on them. I did this to simulate the different kinds of grass you get with different ecosystems, like temperate grassland and tundra vegetation (as an alternative to the actual tundra texture).
  • Do you mind explaining how you got the ocean effect? I think it's really pretty. I like the entire thing!
    Thank you thatguy14.

I exported the map to CC3+ from a world I created in Fractal Terrain 3, which included three sea depth contours. These I put on separate sheets and re-textured with Herwin Wielink's "Ocean blue".

Since the ocean contours were on different sheets I was able to use different effects on each sheet to vary the colour, intensity etc, and to blend each contour with its neighbours to get rid of the hard lines of the original.

In addition to this I generated a purely fictitious oval of the same material on its own layer above the others to give the effect of the brighter "flash" at equator level.

For some reason I keep crashing CC3+ when I try to delete all the extraneous sheets to make a simplified version with just the oceanic sheets in it. When I succeed in doing that I will upload a copy of the simplified file for you to be able to have a closer look at it without all the rest of it getting in the way of the understanding.
  • Cool! I just started learning about mapping and all that (with the purpose of making maps for pathfinder campaigns) and love to learna bout different styles. i aslo really like Herwin Wielink's art style!

Is there a reason you didn't really draw an rivers etc?
    Here you go. Remember that you will have to turn on the sheet effects to be able to see anything other than a plain old ocean!
    Rivers? Hmmnn. I was still at the roughing everything out stage, but now you mention it, it does look a bit bald without any at all.

Herwin Wielink is one of the most beautiful mapping styles I have ever seen. I love using it. There aren't as many fills as there are with other styles, but you can use the same fill with different effects, like with the grass sheets I mentioned earlier. I also find that "forest small" can be adapted (by means of adding a hue, saturation effect) to represent chaparral growing on the slopes above jungles, and both deciduous and fir tree forests. You just have to have three different sheets to represent each particular shade.
    If you are just beginning with mapping, don't whatever you do take my version of things as gospel. Each cartographer has his or her own way of describing the world in a map. For instance, I still have a lot to learn from other cartographers about texture scale... and text (and that's just for starters).
  • Thanks for the ocean effect! I might have more questions : P

I love it, just some of the fill styles make me wonder how I could ever use them.

And I just want to learn more perspectives and you made a beautiful map so I thought I'd ask :D
  • What do you mean "retexturized" the contours? also when you say you made a fictitious oval, how did you go about that?
    edited June 2016
    The oval:

Unless it is hollow (only an outline), every shape you draw on a map has a fill, even if it is only filled with a plain colour. I made a new sheet to put the oval on, then drew the oval on that sheet using the draw circle tool (If you right click the draw circle tool you will find the ellipse tool listed in the variables).

Retexturised... is my personal slang for changing the fill properties (sorry), which can be done using the change fill properties button. If you have drawn an ellipse it will automatically fill with whatever fill is shown in the properties bar. Alternatively you can change the fill shown in the properties bar before you draw your oval by clicking the properties bar where the fill is described
  • I see now, I went and looked at the different sheets indvidually and it makes sense now. Cool! This effect wouldn't be hard to recreate in CC+, why did you use FT3? What did it give you?
    FT3 is a fabulous piece of software that generates random planets of all different kinds - round OR flat (Oh dear, I'm starting to sound like a billboard advert, but its true). It does take a bit of getting used to, but once you work out the parameters that are most likely to give you the sort of world you want for your purposes what it says on the webpage is perfectly honest. All you have to do if you don't like the look of the world it has given you, is click on the next button and it gives you a new one. Because the whole thing is driven by random generators each and every world you see is perfectly unique, but you have to make sure you've got the one you really want. Its no use starting with a map that's only half ok. I talk from bitter experience. The world you choose has to be perfect already. It took me a total 10 hours clicking the next button to get this version 3 of Errispa... but then, I'm a really fussy person!

I don't really use FT3 to its full potential, and I haven't learned even just a tenth of what it can do. I tend to use it to generate realistic looking land masses on which to base my CC3+ worlds, which is kind of an insult to the power of the software.

Exporting can sometimes be a bit tricky. If you export an entire world you can end up with a CC3+ map that is unnecessarily massive and far too complicated for the average laptop to handle properly once you start to get to town with the business of drawing the detail. Best to stick with the middle resolutions and not be tempted to go too high up the scale.

Another tip - if you decide to purchase the software, follow the installation instructions to the letter. I have to constantly right click the icon and choose run as Administrator, because I installed it wrongly in the first place. Now that I've got it working nicely with CC3+, however, I am reluctant to uninstall and try again.

The exported CC3 maps use the default style, which isn't Herwin Wielink. I had a few problems with that until I followed advice given by more experienced cartographers and simply made a separate simple map file based on the HW style, then copied and pasted things across from that to the newly exported file. For some reason (I really don't know why) you only have to do it once before it sticks in the file's memory.
    By the way. I don't know how well it will work with CC+, if you haven't got CC3+
    Posted By: thatguy14This effect wouldn't be hard to recreate in CC+, why did you use FT3? What did it give you
    I think I misunderstood you earlier, thatguy14, I do ALL the map work in CC3+. I only use FT3 as a source for the land mass shapes and the contours - even authors get a bit stuck visualising all the shapes of an entire world without any help, no matter that most of the places in it are already written about. That's why I said I hardly used FT3 to its full potential. You can do all sorts of things in FT3. I just find CC3+ easier to use once I have the right world to work with.

Also I questioned that you were using CC+, rather than CC3+. I think you may have meant CC3+ anyway, so please ignore that comment.
    The first "rivers". As you can see I have a lot of work to do on my detailed drawing technique (lol)!
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    This is beautiful work. I especially like the waterfall and the steamy mist over the hot springs (and at the foot of the falls). How did you do the waterfall? It looks marvelous.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    The waterfall is just a scribble I did with the freehand drawing tool, on a sheet I placed on top of the symbols. When I'd finished scribbling it down I added a blur effect (mostly to hide the inadequacy of the drawing), and hey presto - waterfall.

The technique has a serious drawback, however, since the qualities of the blur seem to diminish if you zoom out, and it looks just like a scribble once again. I will, eventually, get around to creating a modified symbol with the waterfall built in. There's one in the default symbol collection you can use, but they don't really combine with the HW style all that well.

The steam (please don't laugh), is just a collection of circles drawn in white on another sheet, and given a transparency of about 50%, and a suitable blur. I suppose it should be possible to make that into a symbol as well, some day.
    A close up of the same scene without the effects :)
  • Awesome man. The rivers look great and as the previous guy said the waterfall looks great! Love the hot springs, going to take that idea if you don't mind :D. I also like the cliff, I wasn't sure how to use it but that's a pretty good example. You're very skilled! And now I understand what you meant about FT, that's what I thought you meant but wasn't sure. And yea I meant CC3+ :)
    Its all done by smoke and mirrors, aka "sheet effects" (lol). I would say your awe should really be laid at the feet of the programmers who dreamed this software up for us to play with. All I did was find another rule to bend, that's all (it seems to be my forte in life).

There's nothing stopping anyone from using any of the techniques they see displayed on the forum (as far as I'm aware). A technique is a technique, not the actual map itself. I'm just happy that you think it worth using.
    Actually, even without the blur on the waterfall, I think it still works nicely with the Herwin Wielink style, so double-kudos.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    Thanks Dogtag :)

Do you know if we are allowed to alter an original symbol graphic in order to add something like a waterfall - to produce and then share our own variants? Is that allowed?

I would like to do it, because the scribble blur doesn't work very well once you zoom in or out. Adding it to the cliff symbol would stabilize the appearance at different magnifications.

I imagine it would have to be approved by the original artist or something like that, but I don't know how these things are done (or not, as the case may be).

Also, if you happen to be the original artist reading this comment - your symbols are perfect. I just need a waterfall that doesn't look stupid when I pull the shot. It plays a key part in a major event in the book, and the map would look stupid without it.
    Actually - I've just had an idea that means I wouldn't have to mess with the original artwork.

I could do separate waterfall symbols that you can paste where you like. Would that be more useful?
  • I'm sure if it worked with the style other people would appreciate it *cough* me *cough*
    edited June 2016
    As far as I know, we can modify symbols, fills, and drawing tools to our hearts' content, but there may be some limits on distributing them. Check out this older forum topic for some related questions, and some answers from ProFantasy (particularly the reply from Simon Rogers).

That said, I don't work for ProFantasy, so you'll probably want to check with them to get a definitive answer.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    Wow Dogtag!

This whole issue is somewhat more complicated than I thought. I don't really understand what's being described in that topic you so kindly linked me to in your last comment. I draw stuff, and I write stuff - I'm no brainiac, so I guess the best I will be able to do in the time I have to do it in (the whole writing and map drawing exercise must be completed this year) is create a separate PNG image with built in transparency around the actual waterfall that people can paste where they like, even though it won't be a true symbol as such... that's once I get the drawing right :)

Shame really. I slept on the matter (its early morning here), and woke up believing it wouldn't be too much hassle to create a set of maybe 3-4 variations on the theme that could be variously pasted all the way along a cliff like that to create a sort of piece-meal Niagara falls effect.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us all on that front.
    OK

This is "Fred1", the png file I managed to save from a continuously crashing CorelDraw file. The software is 10 years old and doesn't work well with Windows 10 at all. Seems to have a mind of its own nowadays! I can't open the file again to edit it any more, but any of you artists out there are quite welcome to have a go at it. The fall is very, VERY brilliant white right now, and the vapour at the bottom is far too opaque for my personal taste, but its here if you want to have a play with it.