Trace is looping the wrong way?

Hi, I bought CC3+ today, and I'm working through "Our First Map" tutorial. In the Terrain Features section, step 12, it's showing me how to trace to an entity. However, I found that 90% of the time, the trace is connecting the points by the long way around. It works correctly sometimes, for no obvious (to me) reason. It's unclear to me whether I'm doing something wrong or if it's a bug.

Comments

• Here is an image of what the loop looks like before I click the End Point. It might be hard to see, but notice the yellow highlight of the loop. Any help would be appreciated :) .
  • edited May 2016
    After playing with it some more, I find that Trace seems to be sensitive to the location of the initial "Select entity to trace" relative to the "Select starting point for trace". It seems that for it to work, if I'm following the tutorial and I want to trace to the right along the coast, I click to select the entity, then I must select a starting point TO THE LEFT of that first click. If my starting point is to the right, then it will loop the long way. Is this a bug? If not, then it seems a bit fiddly and unclear.

Edit: Ah nevermind, it is mentioned in the tutorial. I overlooked it because the tutorial tells you to go to points A-B-D-C-E, instead of the usual order. All sorted now :) .
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Just to clarify for anyone else reading this, the initial point you use to select the entity to trace is very important, because the trace will ALLWAYS go through this point, so this point must be somewhere on the section of the entity that is part of the trace.
    ubai
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I'm just a beginner, and heaven knows I've dropped a few gaffs already, but I'd like to add if I may, that if you have a very average laptop and you are attempting to trace half way around a continent that is possibly the equivalent size of Europe, Asia and Africa all rolled into one, the trace can sometimes start off in the wrong direction from the initial point.

I have put this down to my tendency to go tearing off far too fast for my laptop processors to cope with my insistence that we 'do it now' - all four of them.

If you have this problem (which admittedly isn't exactly the same as the one described by Lucky above), you can trick your poor overheating laptop into going the right way by actually setting off in the wrong direction first, just by a couple of points, then, when the trace has gone all the way round and back again, you can back up and go in the other direction and get on with tracing the half the coastline you were intending to trace in the first place. It doesn't work every time, but about 7/10 times.