Working on the Railroad

I'm involved in creating historical gaming maps recently for the American Civil War, Franco-Prussian War, and WW2. A problem, I've bumped into again and again is that there are railroads on the terrain. My solution has been more time-consuming than the entire rest of the map: Laying down a wide "rail bed", adding cross-ties as symbols along a line, removing the guideline, then laying on the tracks over the lot, and hoping I kept it even. After all of that it still looks pretty "sucky-poo" when reduced to 8-1/2x11 inches or smaller on some map on a printed page. I'm not happy with this process and result. I tried making an icon, but it distorted when angling it to make the curves and bends and looked even worse. This, admittedly, may be a result of my icon ability rather than the idea of an icon.

Thus my question is: Has anyone come up with a satisfactory method of creating a railroad, that they would be willing to share?
Skal,
Sven

Comments

• Hmmmmmmmm...I may just have an Idea. Let me try it and I will get back to you.
  • NeonKnightNeonKnight Traveler
    edited December 2008
    OK, I just tried this, but some tweaking will likely result in a good result.

First set a good line width for your scale, (i.e. on a battle map with a 5 foot snap, a line width of 3-4 Inches is good). Then draw a set of double lines using the double line tool with a width of around 5 feet (Standard Rail Guage in the world 4' - 8.5" so 5 is good). Draw your lines, and what not. Then for each rail use the LINE TO PATH tool to join them to a single entity.

Then with some tweaking of the DRAW SYMBOLS ALONG tool, you can choose for example the Single Board/Plank symbol from SS2, Bitmap B DEBRIS catalog. Set your distance to example 2', and make sure the symbol scale is around 200% for ALL aspects of the SYMBOL SCALE AND LOCATION setting at the bottom of the option window, and set the SYMBOL SCALING radial Button to Y only (makes them boards standard width but twice the length), then chose one of the rails and BOOM, you have just drawn all the ties.

At the moment, with just a quick play, My ties are off centre, but that should be easy to fix by maybe putting a centre rail on all lines for symbol location purposes, but it is a QUICK and fast way of doing it...so far.

*EDIT*

Man I can tell, I have NOT had enough coffee this morning yet, as I just re-read your post, and what I am doing is pretty much IDENTICAL to what you said you are already doing. Man, what a Schmuck I am :(
  • jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    edited December 2008
    Linda Kekumu from Profantasy created a very nice set of vector railroad connecting symbols. You can download them from John Csaky's Nights around the Table website:

http://www.nightsaroundthetable.com/maps/closedsc.htm#LMK
  • I might be mistaken, but it seems as if what you're trying to do is very close to the way that City Designer 3 sets up buildings along roads. The answer might be to create a bitmap or vectored section of rail, and then using it with the CD3 tool that randomly places houses along the route. Simply set the distance so that the bitmap is placed on top of the road (which is your rail bed) and proceed as normal. You may need to augment this by adding additional bitmap symbols for things such as Y-intersections between lines (I'm not overly familiar with the correct terminology here) and so forth. If you created three or four separate bitmaps, with each one being a slight variance on the placement of a single tie (or the equivalent distance, if you want a section of track missing ties), you should be able to set things up so that you get the equivalent of random bitmap choice. Just make sure the distance between 'houses' is set low enough that the bitmaps abut one another, or even do a bit of overlap.
  • edited December 2008
    Thanks guys, I'll give these a try.
    Yes Neon: pretty much the same result and creates an indistinguishable line when put on a page for a book or magazine. Dratsky Plus yes, I do exaggerate the sizes of roads & the like so that they show a little clearer in greyscale printed on a page.
    Jaerfaph: I'll give it a try. I always hesitated because of the little note at the bottom that the track symbols will be put on the site in the future. But I'll download all the sets and see what I can make of things.
    Stormcaller: I tried working with a bmp, but I guess my talent is limited in that as I try to use it, It goes all wonky when I change the basic direction/angle/vector.

Thanks again, & I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Skal,
    Sven
  • I've tried all the suggestions, but without it being time consuming & having to layer in a lot of extra joins and getting frustrated matching railroad icons on curves & angles, they didn't produce any significant better result. Also real rails are on gentle curves & not angles & not straight to sharp curves like you see on toy train-sets (ask most experienced model railroaders & they'll show you the flexible ruler trick for doing the graduation).

I tried again but modified my original technique. I draw my curved railroad rail in black or dark grey. I make a copy of it & move it slightly over so that the rails are parallel. I choose one rail & do symbols along (Pete Fenlon's ridgline symbol - dark brown varicolor) is a good hash for the railroad ties as long as I don't put them to close together. It does the trick well enough.

Thanks gain, everyone!
    Skal ok Gud Jul!
    Sven
  • DkarrDkarr Traveler
    edited December 2008
    Have you tried using the script for a boardwalk? I believe that what you are trying to accomplish might be very easy to do with that script. After the script is done creating the objects you could easily explode the group and assign them to different layers or sheets to apply effects. Since the script allows you to set the distance between boards you can experiment until you find the gap that works well, visually, for your scale of map.
  • 2 months later
  • Have you considered drawing the railroad in one of the model railroad design programs and importing it into your CC map?

Xtrkcad (http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/HomePage) is free and allows you to export the plan as a DXF file - but it does have a fairly idiosyncratic way of doing things which can be a bit annoying as you learn how to use it.

Hope that helps,

David Shaw