What is the Road Map for Campaign Cartographer?

Since the release of CC3+ we've seen the Symbol Sets and the Core Add-Ons for generation 3 (City Designer / Dungeon Designer) updated to be compatible with CC3+.

Subsequently, we've seen a full CC3+ release of Perspectives, and now a compatibility update to make Character Artist work with CC3+.

As far as I can see, we are now left with one last Generation 3 product to update to CC3+ compatibility (Cosmographer), and after that, everything else is either the Annual, or a generation 2 product.

I was wondering what the road map looked like at this point in time?

Am I right to assume that Cosmographer is next in line for the 3 to 3+ update? Then what, the annuals? Then what?

Is there a plan to produce full new releases (rather than backward compatibility updates) of the remaining gen2 products like Dioramas and the "Source Maps!" packages (or more specifically Castle Designer Pro)? Or is the road map set to chart new ground rather than revist gen2 stuff?

Comments

• Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Cosmographer 3 is up next. We won't be adding new art or charing for an update
    Joachim has been working on an updated version of Source Maps: Temples with updated artwork and new maps, for which we'll charge an updgrade price.
    A new CC3+ Tome is in the works.
    Then we'll look at the Annuals and Dioramas.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited May 2016
    Simon Rogers said:Cosmographer 3 is up next. We won't be adding new art or charing for an update
    Hi Simon. To be clear, you're talking about a compatibility update, correct? Similar to DD3, CD3, and CA3?
    And he also said:Joachim has been working on an updated version of Source Maps: Temples with updated artwork and new maps, for which we'll charge an updgrade price.
    Ah, so that's where JDR vanished to. I was wondering what happened to him. Good deal! JDR's maps are awesome!

Thanks for the update.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • edited May 2016
    Posted By: DogtagAh, so that'swhere JDR vanished to. I was wondering what happened to him. Good deal! JDR's maps are awesome!
    I was wondering where JdR he was too. I was actually rather concerned. I'm glad he is doing the new SM:Temples. The maps will be awesome for sure!

Thanks for the update Simon. There is still a lot to look forward to down the line.
  • Will there be any updates to Fractal Terrains? I know its not part of the Campaign Cartographer family and doesnt need updated specifically for CC3+ features, but I'd love for more capabilities for exporting to CC3+.
  • Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Traveler
    Will we get an installer so the Forgotten Realm Symbols will be usable in CC3+ like the CC3 on for the Atlas that can be downloaded? I also wouldn't mind seeing an update or port of the WWII Atlas.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Posted By: Dogtag
    Hi Simon. To be clear, you're talking about a compatibility update, correct? Similar to DD3, CD3, and CA3?
    Yes.
    We've solicited feedback for Fractal Terrains 3, and it's on our list, but Joe is do most of our coding, and we want to get the add-ons complete. For a new version of FT3, we might add some map-making elements such as symbols and roads, as well as more thorough integration into CC3+.
  • edited May 2016
    Posted By: Simon RogersWe've solicited feedback for Fractal Terrains 3, and it's on our list, but Joe is do most of our coding, and we want to get the add-ons complete. For a new version of FT3, we might add some map-making elements such as symbols and roads, as well as more thorough integration into CC3+.
    I absolutely *love* the idea of using symbols, roads, text, ext in ft3 (ft4). That would be amazing !!!!!!!!!

If you are looking for additional feedback on ft3, I have a few things I'd like to add to the wish list:

1. Make the 64-bit version the official version (or include both 32 and 64). This allows raising the editing resolution significantly, which results in far more detailed maps. Note that this requires increasing the maximum paintbrush value as well (increasing editing resolution reduces paintbrush size).

2. Convert all commands to use prescale offset instead of offset.

3. Remove some of the less effective fractal functions (that create "tire marks"). Once you know which are the best, you can simply ignore the rest. But new users probably get discouraged when they use the wrong fractal function and get tire tracks all over their world.

4. Fix extreme spikes when setting % sea to 100%. When I do this, I get small islands in the 1,000,000 height range. Setting % sea to 99% seems to avoid this.

5. Make options more "sticky". Often, when I set the editing size and then change some other setting, the editing size resets to the default. It would be nice to have all settings retain their values.

6. I'd love to see some detailed you tube tutorials (done by Joe if he can find some time) on how to complete specific tasks (incorporate existing map, pro tips on raising/lowering terrain, tips on making rivers their best, etc). I've done a few tutorials, but I'm sure someone more experienced than I could do better:

Getting Started with Fractal Terrains
    Basic Editing
    Prescale Offset Editing
    Removing Inland Seas
    Flattening Mountains
    Re-Shaping Continents