Colors keep changing

Hello all,

I am having an issue in which the colors of symbols that I have already laid down change colors even when I freeze the layer. I press the color button at the top to change the new color for symbols to be laid down in, and the colors of already put down symbols either (a change to the new color, or (b change to a derivative of a color blend. For example, the mountains I laid down I blended by using the "define color" and "blend 16 colors," as just selecting a color wasn't giving me the blend I wanted (by the way, this is using the "Filled" symbols not the CC3 symbols), but when I try to start a new color, the color I "made" changes to one of the colors that is "close enough" to make a "natural blend."

On top of that, now I can't even get the trees to be the color I chose--I used to use the system against itself by just changing the main color to the color I wanted, and all of the tress went to the color I originally laid them down in...now even what appeared to be something bad that I turned good is fighting against me.

Any help for how to keep the color I want when and where I want them?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The color of symbols reference the color in the palette. When you are changing the palette, either by editing individual colors, or using the "Blend 16 colors" function (Which does change the actual palette), all symbols that reference the changed color will always change to the new color.
    If you do a Tools -> List on any symbol, you will see that it's color is expressed as a number. That is the same index number as you find if you open the palette dialog, and click on a color. The symbol is linked to this entry, so if you change it, the symbol fill is changed as well.

Bottom line, don't change the palette after you have started drawing a map, and especially not by using the "Blend 16 colors" function. If you are going to do so, make sure the colors you change are not palette index entries that already are in use on the map.

Only way to completely avoid this is to use bitmap symbols (non-varicolor versions), as the colors in the bitmap images are not dependent on the map palette.