Perspectives map

Hi everyone. This is my map that I made for the April/May lite challenge over on the Cartographer's Guild website. The theme for this one was to map a camp site so I mapped a base camp in the tomb. Anyway, here it is, the Tomb of Old King Akhanashen.

Enjoy

Akhanashen's Tomb photo Base Camp1.png

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited May 2016
    That's wonderful! What a great blend of overland mapping and Perspectives. Inspiring work! Is that a question mark on the Burial Chamber label? Nice touch, that. The custom wall art is terrific!

If I could muster any constructive feedback, I'd suggest trying to add some accents to the large open spaces. Not necessarily clutter, but some debris here and there, maybe some cracks or water... just something to break it up a little visually. Obviously, the huge chambers were meant to be bare and awe-inspiring, but when seen from a distance as we do in the map (as opposed to being there in person), they feel a touch empty.

That said, I'm a little filled with awe anyway, with what you created here. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Oh Tonnichiwa this is just fantastic!! I purchased Perspectives 3 but have yet to read and play. This is just screaming for me to drop every other project and learn this fast! LOVE IT. My ONLY suggestion would be to agree with Dogtag above, some clutter or cracks, dirt...it just looks a little clean in the burial chamber. Otherwise, spectacular work!
  • DkarrDkarr Traveler
    Awesome, love this idea. I really like the custom walls.
  • @Dogtag: Thank you, it was not an easy one to make. I had trouble trying to get the symbol to go on the wall properly. At first I tried to put it on the wall as a wall shearing symbol but I couldn't get that to work as apparently I cannot understand basic directions. So instead I loaded it up as a bitmap and replaced one of the normal bitmaps with it. Then I found out that when I loaded it into cc3 that it turned upside down. So in frustration I went into Photoshop and turned it upside down. It finally worked then. But another problem arose. The bitmap symbol surrounds not only the inner walls but also the outer walls as well. That is when I had the idea of covering up the room edges where the bitmap fill showed with bricks from the perspectives annual by T.J. Vandel. I even wrote a story about the whole thing over there on the guild but it would be too much to transcribe it here...unless you guys REALLY want me to.

This project is actually sort of tragic as I only own a computer with 8 gigs of RAM (and that is all it can take). So when I was working on it, you could tell it was having issues, as my computer kept trying to shut the program down. By the time I was done, I had it Render, then the program crashed and autosave hadn't done it's thing so I ended up losing the actual FCW file up to this point. When I tried to load it back up I found that I had lost the room with the mural on it and all of the things I had done have gone kaput. So all I have left is my PNG of this.

Your right, I should have put more stuff in there. I contemplated cracks in the floor but it is hard to get cracks to line up since it is perspectives. And there isn't a whole lot of debris that seemed to fit the art style. Something else someone on the Cartographer's Guild website pointed out to me as well is that my trees seem as if they are floating and could probably use some shadows. That hadn't even occurred to me..ah well. you know what they say about hindsight.

@Lorelei: Thanks, Very glad you like it. It will take some getting used to but it will be totally worth it when you get into it.

@Dkarr: Thanks, I got the image off of the internet. It's in the creative commons so it worked well for the challenge over on the guild website. Now if I can get shearing symbols to work I would have put my symbols for Heiroglyphs all over the sides of those pyramids.
  • Thanks Shessar, I'm glad you like it but I fear it doesn't even compare to the Egyptian tomb you did in the other thread. That was fantastic!

Thanks Charles, Long time no see! Glad you like it too. I want to try to make cities with it as well, using the house feature, but that is SO hard to get to scale right. It's going to take a lot of practice.
  • Way to leverage both programs! Beautiful piece of work. :)
  • Thanks Barliman. I appreciate the compliment. :)