The Island called Manrek

Good Morning from germany :)

I have mapped a Island from the pen apd paper rpg "Das schwarze Auge " for my online group.

From this Island our group start raiding like vikings.

Manrek

I am not realy happy with sea features.
Please help me with some suggestions.

Comments

• Well, I can think of a couple of things straight off, and I know this is going to seem like the pot calling the kettle... But do you REALLY want a whale that's half the size of your entire island? That's a little excessive, even for me! Lol. And I would only use one, myself... to show that whales frequent those waters, or perhaps put them together.

Another thing - I noticed that you have a lighthouse on the Eastern side of your island, but you have nothing off of the Eastern coast to warn against. Meanwhile, you DO have rocky coasts to the. Northwest and Southwest, with no light houses there. Lighthouses are warning beacons to incoming ships to protect them against treacherous coastal hazards, such as rocky waters, sandbars, and waters to shallow for them to sail into. If you want a lighthouses on that Eastern coast, put something there for the lighthouse to warn against... A sand bar, reefs that jut out of the water.

I also noticed the larger rocks jutting out far out to see, with what appears to be shallows between them. Is there a specific reason why they are out in the middle of the ocean? That's something I would have put closer to the shore, but that's just me, and instead of trying to use Mike Schley's water, I would have used the sea conture. Mike Schley's style is fabulous! But it's also light,upbeat, and fun. Herman Weilink's style is more dark and foreboding, they just seem to clash to me. Of course, this is just my opinion. :)

Suggestions? More rocky coasts, in various sizes to show hazardous waters. Perhaps some smaller islands just off your big one, maybe all or mostly mountains? Are there any other land masses 'close by'? What about coral reefs? Trade routes? Break up the ocean a little bit. You have all that ocean space around your island... Is it really that isolated? Take some time to think about what else is out there, then add bits of it to your map. Is this area up north or down south? Close to the Arctic circles? How about icebergs or glaciers? That's all I can think of at the moment.
  • As much of a fan I am of mixing styles, i have to say I agree with LadiesStorm about using Mike Schley's style with this map doesn't quite work. Try using the sea monster from the H.W. set or doing a search on DeviantArt for some free sea creature art? If you have the Annuals for this year, Here be Monsters has some creatures that are more dark and foreboding, rather than Mike's whimsical style. I would also move the lighthouse, or add another where you have those rocky outcroppings at the mouth of the bay in the Southwest of your island.
  • GatharGathar Traveler
    Maybe you should reduce a little bit the size of the map. There is so much sea around that it seems lost... Or maybe add another land (just a small part of it) on the border of your map, to give some hints of a place to raid?
    I understand your whales are not meant to be on scale, but more like a decoration. But I don't think that really succeeds. Maybe adding some viking-like elements (an axe, a helmet, a viking ship, a dragon head...), along with a border and a map title would work better?
  • I agree with Gathar, there's too much sea around. Drop all the sea features you added in, they don't go well with your map style. Make the map a bit smaller, focus on your mainland ! And if the people who live there are supposed to be seafarers, add some other lands for them to have a place to sail to !

Other than that, the land itself looks quite fine !
  • Glod morning from germany :)

The Lighthouse in the east is placed there to show there are trafic guides (in german "Lotsen").
    These pretend the sea is dangerous and let the foreign travellers pay for guidance.

I will cut off the sea, if someone tell me how to change size of a map.

The Wales are holy animals of the people who love on that island.
    They where called "Thorwaler" an they worship a whale shaped god called "Swafnir".
    So they are only Dekoration.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: VastinI will cut off the sea, if someone tell me how to change size of a map.
    It depends on what you need. You can remove it from the final image by doing selecting 'Rectangual PNG' in the save as dialog, this will allow you to define the area of the map to export. Just make sure there aren't any intersecting entities (Cut off whales will probably look strange.)
    Otherwise, the easiest way to handle the map itself is to create a new map of the desired size, then use clipboard copy to copy everything you need from your old map to the new one. To figure out the required size for the new map, use the distance tool found in the info menu.