I want to Make Islands

Hello Fellow Mappers,

I am currently working on my second real attempt at a map, which is set in a fantasy setting, and is the world I played for about 18 years in DnD. It is a homebrew, so it is personal to me, and I want my island. For what ever reason I can not get the layers and sheets to work with me so I can have an island on top of my lake. I have know that if I was to be doing this over the ocean base layer it would be no problem. I also know that I am probably missing something small that will fix it.

So I have created a layer called Islands, and I put it farther down the stack than the rivers and lakes, but when I refresh the map it drops behind the lake... so I move it to the extremes and it is still dropping below the map. What I don't understand is I can add a Mountain or Hill to the surface of the water, and they rest comfort ability on top. They do not give the look I want so I keep searching for the solution.

Please help me get My Gnomes their homeland back, they are fun part of my world that always gives people a giggle when seafaring Gnomes who are really on a lake run into the PCs.

Thanks
Clark

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Make sure that the Island you draw actually ends up on the sheet you created. Remember that drawing tools choose their own sheet, they don't put their entities on the current sheet. One way to ensure this is to name the sheet based on what the drawing tools want. By default, the landmass drawing tool looks for a sheet beginning with LAND. Basically, this means that if the current sheets starts with the word LAND, it will go to the current sheet, otherwise, it will go to the normal LAND sheet. So if you name your island sheet LAND ISLANDS, the landmass drawing tool should put it's entities on this sheet, as long as it is the currently selected sheet.

Other options are to simply move the landmass to the island sheet after you have drawn it. If you do this before you issue a redraw, it is easy to get a hold of, otherwise, you will need to hide the sheet with the lake to get to the entities below.
  • Also, make sure that you using the SHEETS, not the LAYERS. This was a hard lesson for me to learn, and I noticed you made reference to the layers, when the sheets are actually what determines what order things are drawn on your map. The layers are used to group the things in your map, the sheets determine the drawing g order.

The higher the sheet is on the list means it is drawn before the things that are lower on your list. So if your island sheet is above your lake/ river sheet in the list your island is going g to be drawn first, which will put it behind your lake.
  • I made atolls.

Sea and land were the sheets. I used land features for the interior water of the atoll. Instead of using the land tool, I used bitmap fills for the island and the interior water.
  • In between everything else, I have been looking at my old generic items. I added 4 more villages in various styles to my site today. I've been thinking about making a few more atolls, generic cities and castle areas with inner and outer baileys. Before then I will likely work on the arcology more.