A different way to draw using the Empire of the Sun Annual

Hi everyone,

I'm working on developing my Asian setting some more, but I wanted to do things a little different than the earlier maps I have done with the Monastery and the Coastal Map. I want to make a country map with these new symbols instead of just regional. At first I tried it with just gray mountains but I don't think it worked too well, so this is my try with two different color of mountains.

Eventually this set of mountains will cover the entire country. Then I plan on separating the country into provinces and I will do an individual map for each province. But for right now this is my test piece for this style.

Comments

• I like the look of the two colored mountains, especially since the bigger mountains are in the gray with the smaller ones in green. It gives the impression of distance...lime your standing on the shore and looking inland. You see the mountains that are fairly close, then your eyes follow through to the higher mountain elevations in the distance.

Okay I'm rambling, but I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.
  • Coming along really nice, tonnichiwa! I really like this style and am looking forward to my players eventually leaving the realm of Vane and head into the land of Ranku (the asian lands on the landmass of Forynth) when i can work up a map in this style for them! Can't wait to see the finished map!
  • edited April 2016
    @ Ladiestorm, thanks, that is the look I was going for. I'm glad it worked :)

@ Charles, thanks :)

@ Lorelei,Thanks.. cool, I'm sure they'll love it. This map will be 4 different islands when it is done. I'm probably going to make it into an interactive atlas when all is said and done.
  • Really nice start. Something else about the mountains I like: the green and the gray give me a sense of height, the green being lower, more forested hills and small mountains, and the gray being higher, more barren peaks.
  • Thanks Barliman :) so far the look is making me very happy, though it is incredibly hard to place symbols. I began by placing the green mountains first, then one gray one, then a bunch of green ones until it looks right, then another gray one. And of course, I have to re-size them each time I switch mountain styles. It is a slow process but the results are going to be very much worth it.

I may even create some of my own Asian style symbols for towns and things to compliment the ones from the Annual.